Idea Help

Options
My family is a big believer in eating as a family. Problem is I have picky eater 1, 2 and 3. My oldest girl is not that bad but the youngest who is 7 used to love his vegetables will not touch them unless it is carrots cooked and my husband whose is the third one will eat corn carrots and green beans. Everything else is a big no. A salad in front of him is a rare sight. Looking for something real healthy to please all. There are five of us. I can up the amounts if needed.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    There are lots of green bean casserole recipes on-line. I've never tried one (or had a green bean casserole) but I hear they are favorites. Maybe check those out?

As for other suggestions:
    - cooked carrot salad
    - my mom used to make a potato & carrot mash (mash both together as one dish). She would add crisp bacon bits to it right at the end; just before serving. Season as you like (salt, pepper, etc).
    - if you added green beans with other beans, would they go for a bean salad?
    - do they like pork & beans? If so, I can dig out a casserole recipe that includes beans, pork & beans, potatoes, maybe even corn (can't remember; haven't made it in ages). Let me know.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    soups are easy to add extra veggies to them- really easy is chili- you won't be able to identify what's in there- I also do a tater tot casserole with my kids- and it has peas in it- not always the healthiest options, but getting some veg is better than none- also smoothies- you can do fruit smoothies with yogurt and sometimes stick carrots or other things (cooked and then cooled- so they're soft enough to whiz up in a magic bullet/blender for a "drink").

One of our fav's is a taco soup I posted on the crocktober thread- the kids love it. another is squash- you can get that in a lot of foods, and it's slightly sweet - depending on the kind, and it usually adopts the flavors you put in with it- same with pumpkin. I have a Biggest Loser cookbook with "cajun squash your waistline fries" recipe- it's a butternut squash recipe- you make them into steak fries and bake them in the oven - hubs LOVED them- and the kids- if I make a batch that's not spicy love them too- sweet potato fries, etc. I usually "hide" the veg in with foods- so they don't notice it.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    here's the Taco Soup recipe- I got it a while back from someone else on MFP. YUM-O!

Taco Soup in the slow cooker (AKA: Crockpot)

you can make it vegetarian - just omit the meat, I've made it both ways.

Brown 1 pound of ground turkey, drain off fat, dump into slow cooker.
    Add:
    1 can of corn (drained)
    1 can of Creamed Corn
    1 can of Rotel
    1 can of stewed tomatoes
    2 cans of beans (your choice- sometimes I do red kidney chili beans, sometimes white beans, sometimes I get the S & W beans with chipotle seasoning on them)
    1 packet of Taco Seasoning
    2 soup cans (from the corn or beans) of water

Mix well, and cook on low all day - your kitchen will smell AWESOME!!!
    I serve with sour cream, Juanita's chips, shredded cheese, and taco toppings (fresh tomatoes, onions, etc). Sometimes I cook the meat with some taco seasoning as well- we just get the Costco thing of taco seasoning, so I don't buy packets anymore, and just use the amount for 1 pound of meat in the soup, but I do add some to the meat when I brown it. FYI.

Hubs loves this soup, and when coming home for dinner can smell it outside and is excited for dinner.
  • charmin61479
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe. I am making it today and I love how the house smells. I am sure the husband will love it and the girls just got home from school and keep asking when is dinner. My oldest is saying it is torture to smell it and not eat it yet...lol:laugh:
  • charmin61479
    Options
    The carrot potato mash sounds like a great idea. We have had green bean casserole but to much of it gets boring. I will have to try that this weekend with my turkey loaf. (my version of meat loaf). Me and the oldest alwasy mix our mashed potatoes with other vegis so it should go over well. Thank you