Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Bulletproof Coffee Question

KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
Okay..... I've been putting off trying the bulletproof coffee mainly because I feel like it is too labor intensive. I know, I know.... you just brew and blend, but my mornings are always so busy. And don't you have to heat your blender prior to pouring a pot of hot coffee into it? Does anyone make the coffee without blending? What does blending do? Is it to keep everything from separating? Is it necessary?

Also, what brand of coffee do you guys buy? I have been reading a lot about toxins in cheap coffee, but finding a good coffee with all the options out there seems like a daunting task. What should I look for when purchasing coffee.

Replies

• asoeung
    asoeung Posts: 41 Member
    It is slightly labor intensive, but it's the most delicious cup of coffee you'll ever drink, so I think it's worth it now. I don't use a real blender, though, because that really would be a pain in the rear to haul that thing out every morning. I have a hand blender that I ADORE - seriously, this was the best appliance I've ever purchased. This makes it much easier. I have never tried the coffee without blending it, but have heard anecdotal evidence that the blending step is pretty critical.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-76W-SmartStick-200-Watt-Immersion/dp/B000EGC9SG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354041294&sr=8-2&keywords=cuisinart+immersion+blender
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Definitely use a blender. MCT oil will mix in well without blending (I often have a cup of black coffee with a tablespoon of MCT oil in it) but the butter needs to be mixed well to froth up for the "total experience"!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    I've put it in one of those smoothie bottles with the little metal ball and just shake it up. I haven't bought MCT oil, just use coconut oil and butter. I also have a Keurig so I buy the little k-cups, probably chock full of toxins, but whatev.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    I just use a keurig coffee and coconut oil, throw it in my imitation magic bullet and blend for about 15 seconds. blending makes it super frothy and delish.
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    I also use whatever flavor of keurig coffee I'm in the mood for. I have blended using my counter top blender (but that had to be pre-heated and you had to be sure to vent the lid so it wouldn't explode - too much like work), I've tried a hand-held shaker bottle, but that wasn't too pretty with hot liquid either....then I started using my Ninja blender and that worked fine and didn't require pre-heating...but then I broke down and bought a hand blender when I had a Kohl's 30% off coupon and it's worked perfectly. I just make my coffee in my to-go cup, add the butter and MCT oil and lightly blend with the hand blender. Much quieter and less clean up than the Ninja.

Oh, and yes, I did try without blending, too.....first few sips were pure oil and then you're left with plaiin coffee. Yuck.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Incidentally, when I downloaded the Civilized Caveman cookbook, I got a free e-Book from Abel, the guy that runs that Fat-Burning Man site. It was transcripts of podcast interviews that he did with Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf, and a few others, including the guy who runs BulletProof Executive who came up with the idea of bulletproof coffee.

I learned 2 things. One... I will not listen to that podcast. Too much testosterone.

Two... that bulletproof coffee guy is kind of a crazy wacko. Good coffee idea? Yes. A bit too many self-inflicted electrodes to the brain... probably.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    I've never preheated my blender and haven't had a problem. If you want to skip blending, you'll have to shake the poop out of it in something else (like one of those bottles with the ball in it). I use the organic coffee from fresh & easy (like a whole foods but smaller). It's about $8/lb, but I usually buy it on sale for around $6.

It's more labor intensive than just brew and go, but it's definitely worth it. What if you melt down and premixed all your oils together in one container, so you could just toss a glob of it in your blender with your coffee and then go?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I, too, find Bulletproof coffee a bit labour intensive and I am so LAZY in the morning. I am so NOT a morning person but have been cursed into becoming one since giving birth to my little bundle of joy.

I tried mine with the whisk from a shaker bottle in a glass jar since I don't combine heat with plastic ever. Shake, shake, shake. Well, it worked ok but the release of built up pressure upon opening the jar gave me quite the fright and I've been scared at the prospect of an exploding glass jar ever since. The blender would be a little safer, but now that I make my daughter paleo breakfasts (often using said blender) I am even less inclined to spend more time on my coffee.

Besides I sure do love my full fat cream but am prepared that if my health or weight loss results decline that I will revisit giving up the dairy. I don't eat dairy because I think it's healthy; I eat it because I love it but still have parameters that I follow.

I'll be reading everyone's comments for ideas! Thanks!

Edit: I'm a coffee snob. Though I eyeball those Keurig's everytime I walk by them in the store and have to invoke extreme self-discipline to not give into my fickle desires and buy one , I know that I can buy much better, healthier, fair trade coffee that is also much cheaper per serving (might be cheaper if one doesn't live in the Arctic lol). I don't think sharing my brands would help since they are Canadian and my main roaster is in Whitehorse, Yukon... but if you are interested (yes, they are online) they are called Midnight Sun Coffee Roasters. I especially love the Organic Dark French. I bought Kicking Horse coffee last time and like it, but not as much as Midnight Sun.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Honestly, I usually just whisk it up real good in my cup and I don't have a problem with it being too oily. Although, I'm totally gonna try my immersion blender now...sounds MUCH easier than getting my blender out. I don't use any fancy coffee but I do use good butter. I also use coconut oil. I haven't made this in a while. Gonna make it again soon!
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    I never knew you were supposed to blend it lol

I do however add cream to mine and I find it emulsifies the coconut oil very well (I add the coconut oil first and melt it before adding the cream). I use a long handled teaspoon in a tall cup and I just give it a stir if it's separating out.

If you're after a faster coffee in the morning, some folks do a cold brew overnight like this one:
    http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/2012/08/the-perfect-pre-workout-coffee.html
  • KBGirts
    Thanks, everyone!!!! These are really great suggestiong and great information.

I am totally going to buy the immersion blender. What a great idea at a fair price.

Can't wait to try this!!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    I forgot to add that I usually add a sprinkle of cinnamon to it as well!
  • KBGirts
    Oh yes! I've heard of adding cinnamon, which I WILL do because I love it.

I bought the immersion blender during my lunch break!!!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    I, too, find Bulletproof coffee a bit labour intensive and I am so LAZY in the morning. I am so NOT a morning person but have been cursed into becoming one since giving birth to my little bundle of joy.

I tried mine with the whisk from a shaker bottle in a glass jar since I don't combine heat with plastic ever. Shake, shake, shake. Well, it worked ok but the release of built up pressure upon opening the jar gave me quite the fright and I've been scared at the prospect of an exploding glass jar ever since. The blender would be a little safer, but now that I make my daughter paleo breakfasts (often using said blender) I am even less inclined to spend more time on my coffee.

Besides I sure do love my full fat cream but am prepared that if my health or weight loss results decline that I will revisit giving up the dairy. I don't eat dairy because I think it's healthy; I eat it because I love it but still have parameters that I follow.

I'll be reading everyone's comments for ideas! Thanks!

Edit: I'm a coffee snob. Though I eyeball those Keurig's everytime I walk by them in the store and have to invoke extreme self-discipline to not give into my fickle desires and buy one , I know that I can buy much better, healthier, fair trade coffee that is also much cheaper per serving (might be cheaper if one doesn't live in the Arctic lol). I don't think sharing my brands would help since they are Canadian and my main roaster is in Whitehorse, Yukon... but if you are interested (yes, they are online) they are called Midnight Sun Coffee Roasters. I especially love the Organic Dark French. I bought Kicking Horse coffee last time and like it, but not as much as Midnight Sun.

Not to tempt you- but you can buy a My K cup and use ANY coffee you want in the Keurig machine. I do this all the time - the only down fall is I find in order not to have my coffee watered down to much I have to use the 6 ounce setting.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    It is slightly labor intensive, but it's the most delicious cup of coffee you'll ever drink, so I think it's worth it now. I don't use a real blender, though, because that really would be a pain in the rear to haul that thing out every morning. I have a hand blender that I ADORE - seriously, this was the best appliance I've ever purchased. This makes it much easier. I have never tried the coffee without blending it, but have heard anecdotal evidence that the blending step is pretty critical.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-76W-SmartStick-200-Watt-Immersion/dp/B000EGC9SG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354041294&sr=8-2&keywords=cuisinart+immersion+blender

{slaps forehead} - duh - why didn't I think of this...I haven't tried Bullet proof coffee because the thought of dragging out my big blender and cleanign up after it was to much of a hassle (and my small quick clean 16 ounce one has been missing it's lid forever) - but I have one of these at home....Bulletproof coffee here I come
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    I use my blender bottle I used when I drank protein shakes all the time. It works great. A PP referred to it. It is a plastic bottle with silver metal ball in it that mixes the stuff in the bottle like a small wisk.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    I use what ever flavor in my Kuerig but for a good basic cup of coffee I like Hill's Brothers or a dark roast. I use a very large coffee cup- the size of soup bowl. I add coconut milk, coconut oil and a little honey and blend or pulse with my stick blender. not exactly bullet proof coffee as I leave out the butter(I can't tolerate dairy) I add some sweetness.it comes out frothy and yummy just like a latte.. Oh and it is very important to blend this.otherwise you have oil floating on top of your coffee- not appealing at all. If you have digestive issues like me, you will absorb the oil better if it is blended.
  • I don't use a blender because 1) it adds too much hassle what with clean-up and all, and 2) the foamy top is mostly butter. To reheat and mix I put the (unsalted) butter in a pan, melt it, add the coffee, and gently mix with a wire whisk while bringing the mixture back to drinking temperature. There is still the clean-up of the pan and the whisk but it's far easier than cleaning a blender.

I don't use the coffee sold by The Bulletproof Exec. I'm sure drinking coffee sans toxins is a good thing but the prices are not forme. I do try to avoid "grocery store" coffee but that's due to flavor, not any health-oriented issue.

Because one can't get a true emulsion between the butter and coffee, I use a stainless steel mug with a lid that closes and give it a shake before I take a sip.

I drink bulletproof coffee three or four times per week.

I am considering an egg yolk or two for the emulsification properties but I haven't done it yet. One of these days when I'm doing my most impressive act of being a couch potato, I'll work on it and report back. (But don't hold your breath.) Egg and butter is a very good combination such as in a hollandaise sauce but I'm not sure about adding coffee to the game.

I don't use MCT oil; I get enough MCTs from the coconut milk and oil I use in other dishes.

OFG
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    I've always thought blending was crucial but there a few people at my CrossFit gym who don't bother to blend. They just stir it up and drink.

I don't make bp coffee that often but when I do I use a Magic Bullet. I have a stick blender but never thought to try that.

I just get some sort of dark roast Starbucks ground coffee.

No longer a fun of Keurig though. Loved them initially but after having 3 break down on me I had to give up on them. I just now use a simple pour over brewer (Melitta).