Anyone have really weird mood swings on Paleo?

Options
jennaworksout
jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
I have been on the paleo diet now for 5 weeks, within the last week my moods swings are unreal, and its not that time of the month....one minute I am crying, next I am fine, I am feeling very paranoid. Not sure whats going on....anyone else have this happen??? I am getting weirded out and confused ...hoping it is just a phase. I have had depression in the past , and anxiety, but for the first 4 weeks they both were non existant and I felt amazing!! , could the depression be coming back??? I thought this diet would help with depresssion, help!!

Replies

• MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    yikes, that doesn't sound good. have you changed something in the last week?

i was a bit moody the first week, and if i forget to eat (because i don't feel nearly as hungry) sometimes i get a bit grumpy, but nothing on this scale!
  • ElloSweetie
    ElloSweetie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I did in the beginning weeks- I have systemic candida and the die-off was making me crazy :P
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    Havent changed anything except for less fruit, forst 4 weks I was fine, this week...totally emotional.....moody, crying, paranoid....ughhhhh
  • Fitby31
    Fitby31 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was a total B for like the first week or so, so much so to the point my hubby asked me to stop the diet but then it leveled off again......preggo?
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    I was a total B for like the first week or so, so much so to the point my hubby asked me to stop the diet but then it leveled off again......preggo?

I was thinking that!!! hahahaha but I doubt it :tongue:
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Low-carb can affect your thyroid hormones and your mood. It made me crabby, lethargic, and hypothyroid. Try adding more starches and fruit.
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    Low-carb can affect your thyroid hormones and your mood. It made me crabby, lethargic, and hypothyroid. Try adding more starches and fruit.

I'm definitely crabby lmao but the paranoia?? freaking me out...maybe I am going crazy lol
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I will say that I constantly have mood swings - but in the other direction. I often become elated, happy, excited and much more randy.

Clearly my hormones are running on all cylinders. If you aren't already, make sure you are getting enough vitamin D. I take 10k ius every day. Much more than "they" recommend, but I recommend having your levels checked and shoot for 50-100.
    A good vit B (in a multivitamin) and omega 3 supplements couldn't hurt either.
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with those saying get your levels checked. Thyroid, Iron, Vitamin D, B Vitamins. I had mine checked as I was extremely depressed, and found that I was low in ALL of those! Doing better, but with the weight loss they change, so I need to be rechecked. Good luck!
  • zellagrrl
    Options
    I will say that I constantly have mood swings - but in the other direction. I often become elated, happy, excited and much more randy.

Clearly my hormones are running on all cylinders. If you aren't already, make sure you are getting enough vitamin D. I take 10k ius every day. Much more than "they" recommend, but I recommend having your levels checked and shoot for 50-100.
    A good vit B (in a multivitamin) and omega 3 supplements couldn't hurt either.

Ditto on the vitamin D. I live in the Pacific NW and also take 10,000 IU (and that's naturopath recommended, actually). I also take Omega 3 and a multi, with B.

That said, talk to a psychiatrist for the paranoia-- I've been there, and it's miserable. My anxiety is out of control, and quite frankly, will never be controlled by what I eat (despite my mother's assertions that bananas, yogurt and walking can cure it), and I'm seeking help again to tamp it back down to acceptable levels. Taking medication is not admitting defeat :) (and I'm saying that for myself as much as anyone).