Let's tak about Protein Shakes

Options
LJP1982
LJP1982 Posts: 45 Member
I think I want to add a protein shake to my daily food line up, but I have no idea what I want. I have tried some in the past that were OK and some that were nasty. Who drinks protein shakes and what is good? :smile:

Replies

• emily_bird
    Options
    I started yesterday. I'm just drinking the one that we have in the house lol.If I remember correctly, mine's got less chemicals and things. Check out Beachbody, as they have a lot of supplements and shakes that you can buy.
  • Staceyp76
    Staceyp76 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Visalus. I really enjoy the taste of them. They taste like cake.
  • stupxdgxrl
    stupxdgxrl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm I could def drink a protein shake that tastes like cake! :happy:
    Glad this was posted, I was wondering the same.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I know Body By Vi is a touchy subject but I just wanted to point out that most protein powders you can buy elsewhere are a fraction of the cost and have 2-3x the amount of protein in them. I tried Body By Vi in May and it kept me full for hours on end but health wise I don't think it was the best option. That's just my thought on it since I've tried it.
  • aj_31
    Options
    I use MRM protein powder. I add it to my smoothies, yogurt, and anything else I can put it in. I will also drink it with water after a hard workout.

I decided to go with MRM because a friend of mine that knows a lot about fitness and happens to be a chemist said this is one of the better protein powders out there. I value her opinion so I started using it and I haven't had any issues with it.
  • Staceyp76
    Staceyp76 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oh I take no offence on the Body by Vi. I don't promote it I just like the taste of it and I have tried a lot of different protein shakes. I know it is a costly option but for me I want to enjoy the taste of the protein powder. I did the 90 day challenge to get over a plateau and well it didn't do squat so I am just using it now for a recovery formula after the insanity workouts.
  • aj_31
    Options
    Oh I take no offence on the Body by Vi. I don't promote it I just like the taste of it and I have tried a lot of different protein shakes. I know it is a costly option but for me I want to enjoy the taste of the protein powder. I did the 90 day challenge to get over a plateau and well it didn't do squat so I am just using it now for a recovery formula after the insanity workouts.

I tried it because friends of mine were selling it and I thought if I could lose a quick 10 lbs before I went to Mexico I'd be happy. Well it did nothing for me either. I'm not sure how others have such great results. All it did was make me crabby. Haha! Now I use my vanilla MRM with almond milk and it taste great. I drink it with water if I don't have the extra calories for it. And if I add it to yogurt it taste amazing. But you got to like what you are ingesting.
  • LJP1982
    LJP1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use MRM protein powder. I add it to my smoothies, yogurt, and anything else I can put it in. I will also drink it with water after a hard workout.

How many carbs are in it? I know Beachbody recommends a 4:1 carb: protein ratio for post workout recovery. I've been drinking chocolate milk, but think I may be leaning toward getting dooped into the Results and Recovery formula, but I know that I need to add protein to my life. I may try the MRM if it tastes good. Is it widely available or do you order it online?
  • aj_31
    Options

How many carbs are in it? I know Beachbody recommends a 4:1 carb: protein ratio for post workout recovery. I've been drinking chocolate milk, but think I may be leaning toward getting dooped into the Results and Recovery formula, but I know that I need to add protein to my life. I may try the MRM if it tastes good. Is it widely available or do you order it online?

Cals: 87
    Total Fat: 1g
    Cholesterol: 20mg
    Sodium: 40mg
    Potassium: 110mg
    Total Carbs: 1.5g
    Fiber: 0g
    Surgar: 1g ** No surgar added - sugars naturally occur in whey proteins and natural flavoring
    Protein: 18g

I use the vanilla kind and I like it. You can drink it with water but I prefer to have it with almond milk or in my smoothies, yogurt, or oatmeal. I just ordered the chocolate kind so I should be getting that by Friday. I usually order it from Amazon since I'm a prime member. I can get it anywhere from $16-25 a container. You can also order it from www.bodybuilding.com and sometimes they have a special if you buy 2 you get 1 free. You have to look around and see what the best deal is.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options

I know Body By Vi is a touchy subject but I just wanted to point out that most protein powders you can buy elsewhere are a fraction of the cost and have 2-3x the amount of protein in them. I tried Body By Vi in May and it kept me full for hours on end but health wise I don't think it was the best option. That's just my thought on it since I've tried it.

I've done the 90 day challenge for the full 90 days. I lost 13 lbs and 4.5 inches which got me over my plateau. I do not promote it but I do know that it works. Can be pricey though and I am sure there are similar options out there that are friendlier to your pocket book/ The shakes kept me full and satisfied and they taste great. This program taught me how to properly fuel my body and I have not gained a single Lb back and I have been off the 90 day challenge since May. I am doing the 1 shake a day for maintenance. I have lost another 5 lbs since and have reached my goal weight. Now that I know how to eat, I can't see myself putting my weight back on.

If anyone were to ask my opinion on Visalus, I say yes, it works and it's wonderful, that being said, it is not for everyone =)
  • shawannajames
    shawannajames Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I read today that chocolate milk indeed contains whey protein. I was researching that option for a recory after being suggested by my athlete son.
  • aj_31
    Options
    I read today that chocolate milk indeed contains whey protein. I was researching that option for a recory after being suggested by my athlete son.

I've also had several people recommend drinking chocolate milk after a workout.