Trying to pace myself!

skward04
skward04 Posts: 81 Member
I am nearing the end of stage 1 of NROL4W. I hit the gym 3 times a week and do just lifting (for now).

However, I'm struggling with feeling like I'm not doing enough. I push myself hard during my sessions, but I no longer get DOMS. I know when I start stage 2, I'll feel that again. I told myself I'd do only lifting during stage one, as I'm a newbie lifter. but I feel like I need to do an elliptical, treadmill, bike, something cardio!

Does anyone else feel like they aren't doing enough? Hopefully it's not just me!

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Oh, trust me, you'll get DOMS again! :laugh:

I am finishing Stage 5 and have settled into lifting twice a week with intervals, running twice a week, and 30 minutes of yoga three times a week on the days that I work.

My advice is to follow the book until you're finished with Stage 3, then when you start the repeater stages (4 & 5) make adjustments based on your preferences and what works for you.

Best of luck!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Oh, trust me, you'll get DOMS again! :laugh:

Agreed 100%!

Although, even in stage 1 as a new lifter, I liked to do some moderate cardio on my non-lifting days because I've got so much fat to lose. Plus, I wanted to be able to eat more. ;)
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    I added more cardio and abs in stage 1. Stage 2 & 3 are much more difficult workouts (for me anyway) and I don't add anything on lifting days now. I do see why I needed stage 1 first though.
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Yes, you will feel the DOMs again. I certainly do at the beginning of each new stage, even the repeaters just because I havent worked those particular muscles in those exact ways in a while. Wait until you get into the body weight matrix and intervals. You wont feel the pull for cardio as much. If you've done it right, you'll be too busy trying to pull yourself up off the floor afterwards to be thinking about more cardio. :wink: