How long?

Options
2»

Replies

• jb852013
    jb852013 Posts: 116
    Options
    I have only been single since Sept 11th of this year. I had been with my husband since I was 15 and now I am 29. I read a text message on his phone, and that was it. I wasn't going to kid myself any longer that he wanted to work on our marriage. The only reason I read his text was because the night before he snooped on my phone and got mad at me for me talking to a friend about not believing something he told me. So I went ahead and read his texts the next morning to get proof of what I believed to be true.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Divorced for a little over 5 yrs, with a year long relationship that ended this spring.I waited waaay to long to start dating- over three years. Met the boyfriend through our daughters.

OP- we live in the same city, so if I knew the kinds of things you're into I could make some suggestions?

Here is what I do right now: (although this does not necessarily equal many dates) Leave my house. Go to coffee. Pick strategic coffee shops ( now boycotting st. mark's).Make eye contact. Put phone away and read something they used to call "a book" because this can be a conversation starter, sometimes. "The book" is kinda for show, so read something that will connect to whoever you're looking for (I've read the first 4 pages of the prague cemetary 800 times). Look up from the book like it's so interesting that you need to look around and think about it. Make eye contact. Draw a picture. Read the book more. Make more eye contact. Repeat. Also, I really like meeting other women so any kind of conversation that happens out in the wild is a plus. Good luck- and let me know if I can help with ideas about places to go.
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Forever, sadly.

Social Anxiety gets worse every day as well.

:( I'm sorry. I hope you are in a good therapy program. It will help immensely!

I might, if I even knew how to even go about it. Or the thought of talking to a professional didn't give me great anxiety. Part of that though may be figuring out how to pay for it since I don't have much extra cash.

It just kind stinks all around. I know I'm a good person and want to find someone to share a life with, but I just don't know if I'll ever be able to. Part of me even feels like the issues I do have, it wouldn't be fair to bring them into a relationship. Issues being the anxiety all around, the not being comfortable in my skin, etc.
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Had a few short term relationships, like < 6 months. But overall been single my whole life.

Hopefully my body image issues will be resolved from losing the weight which will result in more confidence and more relationships. Though that is a lot of 'ifs'
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Got out of a LTR almost 3 yrs ago. Just got an officail bf(been dating a couple of months) 3 weeks ago..... and he might not be around to much long :grumble:
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Got out of a LTR almost 3 yrs ago. Just got an officail bf(been dating a couple of months) 3 weeks ago..... and he might not be around to much long :grumble:

WHY? Is it the kissing?
  • jenbit
    Options

WHY? Is it the kissing?

No I can get around that.. We havent been spending much time together lately and I'm starting to feel like he may like the Bf/GF label more then actually having one but I'm gonna talk with him about it and give it some time. If things continue this way I'll break it off.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I spent most of my 20s in long term relationships, and then in my early 30s had a couple of really bad experiences that completely jaded me and turned me off dating. I've been basically single (outside sporadic periods of dating, nothing really going beyond a few dates) for around six years, and spent the time focusing on myself and my career. To that end, I've been successful. However, over the past year I realized that I did want to dip my toe back into the dating pool again. I met someone toward the end of the summer, and we've been exclusive for about six weeks. So far it's been going extremely well, but I do remain skeptical about it all until more time has passed. (It's bizarre to me that only a few months ago I didn't even know him and now he feels like such a huge part of my life.) I'm kind of in the "if it seems to good to be true, it probably is" phase right now, while still remaining cautiously optimistic.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

WHY? Is it the kissing?

No I can get around that.. We havent been spending much time together lately and I'm starting to feel like he may like the Bf/GF label more then actually having one but I'm gonna talk with him about it and give it some time. If things continue this way I'll break it off.

Awwww, sorry to hear this Jen. I think a talk works wonders, so yeah, let him know how you're feeling :flowerforyou:
  • jenbit
    Options

WHY? Is it the kissing?

Awwww, sorry to hear this Jen. I think a talk works wonders, so yeah, let him know how you're feeling :flowerforyou:

Well I know its been a long time since he has had a GF so maybe he forgot how it goes or something lol
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    [Well I know its been a long time since he has had a GF so maybe he forgot how it goes or something lol

Oooh.. what is he doing or not doing?
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options

WHY? Is it the kissing?

Well I know its been a long time since he has had a GF so maybe he forgot how it goes or something lol

This is probably it. I know that is the case with me. lol
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options

This honestly could be true! You do get out of practice...
  • jenbit
    Options
    [Well I know its been a long time since he has had a GF so maybe he forgot how it goes or something lol

Oooh.. what is he doing or not doing?

Well in the last 2 weeks I've seen him once. He cancelled on me via text on 1 day we were supossed to hang out cause he had practice. The text literally said "practice tonight" No hi or sorry or anything. He seems to be acting distant lately.He wanted to come by last night and watch a movie but he could only stay til 9 cause he had practice . I told him he was more then welcome to come over but I had to get the kids bathed, fed and in bed by 8pm. So he decided not to come over. I know I wont see him til friday. Also we have a huge toga party this weekend for a friends 30th birthday. Well last minute he decided that he's going to a concert before coming to the party.:grumble:
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    Divorced for a little over 5 yrs, with a year long relationship that ended this spring.I waited waaay to long to start dating- over three years. Met the boyfriend through our daughters.

OP- we live in the same city, so if I knew the kinds of things you're into I could make some suggestions?

Here is what I do right now: (although this does not necessarily equal many dates) Leave my house. Go to coffee. Pick strategic coffee shops ( now boycotting st. mark's).Make eye contact. Put phone away and read something they used to call "a book" because this can be a conversation starter, sometimes. "The book" is kinda for show, so read something that will connect to whoever you're looking for (I've read the first 4 pages of the prague cemetary 800 times). Look up from the book like it's so interesting that you need to look around and think about it. Make eye contact. Draw a picture. Read the book more. Make more eye contact. Repeat. Also, I really like meeting other women so any kind of conversation that happens out in the wild is a plus. Good luck- and let me know if I can help with ideas about places to go.

Haha... Well Hello neighbor! ;-)

You make some Very good points. If there's one thing I absolutely suck at...it's making eye contact. Or even simply noticing others around me. It's been such a long time since I've just gone and done something without my daughter, I think I might look into taking an afternoon, here and there, and just grabbing coffee by myself. I used to enjoy doing that, lol. I've got to sit down and try and remember some of the things that used to make me happy, or come up with some new ideas.
  • ddwin
    Options
    So far I think the record is going to be mine! cheerleader.gif

ugh.gif

Haha...
  • ddwin
    Options
    6 years and still counting....
    I had a couple of dates, but nothing serious ever came out of it.

Not really looking, since my last attempt kind of taught me that I still need to work on some of my issues...

If something happens to fall into place, I'm not going to run from it.

I refuse to have FWB as I'm an emotional old fashion guy and I know I would get too attached.

I'm the same with the FWB... after my last 'relationship', it taught me that that is just not something I'm interested in.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Married - 16 years (she had an affair)
    Single - 18 months (drank a lot - played my guitar - became a different person)
    Long term relationship - 7 years (met on an internet dating site - was good for a long time - just not Mrs Right - it's a shame... I really liked her)
    Single - 7 months (decided to have the year off while I get my head and body back together - lose the 'comfort fat' - enjoying being single right now - miss the sex though :sad: )
  • marvelprime
    marvelprime Posts: 91 Member
    Options

This is probably it. I know that is the case with me. lol

When I actually had a date that I knew that I could kiss after six years of nothing at all, I had instant recall. Of course, I did have a bit of a fumble when the date first started, but she was younger so she found it more acceptable and cute. I'm glad I got that "ring rust" shook off at least.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Been almost 6 years since I've been in any sort of serious relationship. There's been a smattering of dates along the way but nothing terribly interesting.