On Day 2 and going out with a friend tonight

Options
Hey all, I literally started yesterday pretty much randomly. (Meaning I can't think of anything that specifically triggered me wanting to get in shape) I was able to keep within my calorie limit but today I am meeting up with an old friend for drinks. This was planned a while ago and I'm not sure how I'm going to keep track of my calories at the bar. The beer will be easy enough to look up but on the bar's site I can't find anything that has the nutritional info on it in regards to their food.

Any advice on what I could do? I don't wanna fall off the wagon before I've even started.

Replies

• SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I would just search the food diary for options similar to what you're having tonight and use those numbers.

As for food choices, you can ask for sauces on the side, no oil/butter/mayo/cheese on your order, substitute vegetables or salad for fries or other fattening sides, avoid white carbs (breads, pasta, etc).

You can also eat before you go out, and just have a couple of light beers with your friend.
  • Bertie02
    Bertie02 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Plan on what you're going to have, that way when you get there your eyes are not wondering the menu getting you in trouble. By planning you can sorta figure out calories etc. Have a glass of water after your first beer, it might save you the calories of a second beer, and if you choose to have a second you at least had some water inbetween.

Try not to be hard on yourself. You're trying to make improvements with your eating not perfection. Honestly being perfect with your eating is not a realistic goal, but making conscious healthy decisions will get you much further.
  • Bertie02
    Options
    You've probably gone out already, but I realized I forgot to tell you my favorite 'trick' when eating out or eating at someone elses house. Split the plate in quarters, 2 of those quarters should be veggies, 1 should be protein and the other your carb. If you apply this rule when eating food you really can't account for you get about 3-4 oz of meat, 1/2 cup of carbs, and 1/2 of plate of veggies. If you have fruit as an option get that with the rest of your meal and you've had a fairly well balanced meal.
  • hattrickk15
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. :) I did plan end up planning before hand what I was going to eat. Originally I had planned to eat a chicken sandwhich but then changed my mind to just a side of sweet potato fries. But when I got there I was very hungry and needed something more substantial than a bit of fries and went for the sandwhich. I ended up going over my calorie limit by about 260.Though it is an improvment to be eating out of hunger rather than just taste.
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. :) I did plan end up planning before hand what I was going to eat. Originally I had planned to eat a chicken sandwhich but then changed my mind to just a side of sweet potato fries. But when I got there I was very hungry and needed something more substantial than a bit of fries and went for the sandwhich. I ended up going over my calorie limit by about 260.Though it is an improvment to be eating out of hunger rather than just taste.
    I'm willing to bet that 'over by 260' is a good deal better than what it normally would have been if you hadn't been thinking about it. Just cuz you were over, does not mean you weren't successful!
  • Bertie02
    Options
    I'm willing to bet that 'over by 260' is a good deal better than what it normally would have been if you hadn't been thinking about it. Just cuz you were over, does not mean you weren't successful!

So true!
  • hattrickk15
    Options

Yes that is true I would have eaten and drank a lot more if I hadn't thought about it. :)