Please help

Options
I am an 18 year old freshman in college. I am 5'9" and 135 pounds. I have a horrible body image and it's ingrained in my mind that I need to be 120 pounds like I was 3 years ago. I eat 1200-1500 calories a day, except on the days when I lose control and binge. I work out obsessively, sometimes 4-5 hours a day, sacrificing time with friends and time I should spend doing school work (though I am able to keep my grades from suffering). I feel miserable and just want to break out of this cycle. I have a number of hormonal disorders that cause my weight fluctuation to be even worse. Advice? Please? My parents fear I'll break and go anorexic. They want to put me into therapy. I don't want therapy.

Replies

• RAURARIKES
    Options
    first of all you need to BELIEVE that at 5'9 and 135, there is no need for you to be so strict on yourself. that is pretty low weight. like i know you said you have bad body image issues, that's why it's important you actually try to BELIEVE that your body is fine, go out of your way to make yourself feel great and worthy. self-confidence hypnosis (on youtube) has helped me a LOT (it's basically a man telling you really positive stuff, nothing silly LOL).

also working out 4-5 hours is going to result in many complications. that is not healthy at all...just counterproductive. imagine getting an injury and having to sit on your *kitten* for weeks...no more gym and then what will you do?
    you seem to have some anxiety. find coping mechanisms (do not add more exercise please), make sure to surround yourself with friends and family and to not isolate yourself (which is when all the diet crazy talk gets in your head). you have no idea how important human interactions are to our health.

seriously...BELIEVE that you deserve to be happy and enjoy life now that youre young and in college. college is meant to have fun, get good grades, meet people... NOT to be 4-5 HOURS AT THE GYM!! D:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want therapy? I think a counselor would help. You need to work with your thoughts and why you think this way.

We online can't do much.... I'm sorry I don't live near you. These things are your choice. Your parents want to help.

You are not fat. I have a blog or two on body image, food relationship, and binge eating.
  • MichelleOnWheels
    MichelleOnWheels Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That kind of exercise is a form of bulemia. Have you considered going to Overeaters Anonymous? It's not just for people who are overweight, it is for people with food problems. You can learn more @ www.oa.org.

There is no shame in asking for help from a therapist either. Good luck my dear <3