Slimming World The Story Of Holly Daze...

It’s Christmas party season and with buffets, drinks and festive goodies tempting us at every turn, now’s the time to safeguard our slimming success.

Our story below about ‘Holly Daze’ is a bit of fun, but it really shows how unexpected Syns can slip in during this busy time.  

See if you can spot how many Syns Holly is actually having and where she goes wrong throughout the day...

The story of Holly Daze
It was Holly’s favourite time of year… she loved Christmas, and was determined that this year she was going to stay in control of her weight loss – and avoid gaining pounds as well as presents! 

It was Holly’s work Christmas party that night, so she wanted to save her day’s Syn allowance for the evening. ‘I’ll fill up on lots of Free Food today!’ She told herself, and then I’ll have a whole 15 Syns to enjoy tonight!

Holly tucks into a big breakfast to set her up for the day – eggs, bacon, beans and two slices of wholemeal toast. She grills the streaky bacon and plans to fry the eggs in Fry Light. Unfortunately she discovers she’s out of Fry Light so has to opt for olive oil instead. ‘I’ll count it as my Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice’ she tells herself, glugging it in. She tops her breakfast with a dollop of brown sauce and assembles an impressive sandwich between the buttered toast.

Lovely and full, Holly decides it’s a good time to go out and finish her Christmas shopping.  Town is bustling and it’s not long before Holly seeks the sanctuary of a coffee shop. She plans to order an Americano but at the last minute she spots some new festive-flavours – a gingerbread latte it is! The latte is delicious and comes with a biscuit on the side. ‘Well it’s only tiny’, thinks Holly, taking a bite.

Back to the shops – it’s Thorntons next to buy the kid’s chocolate stocking fillers. ‘Would you like a free sample?’ the kind shop assistant asks. ‘Well, I better try before I buy!’ Holly thinks, and pops in a chocolate truffle.

Later on in the day Holly’s feeling quite chuffed that she’s managed to buy gifts for most of her family. It’s 3 o’clock and she realises that she’d better eat something, as going out on an empty stomach is never a good idea! Scanning the high street there’s either MacDonald’s, Spud-u-like or Subway to choose from. ‘I only want a quick snack, so I think a sandwich is the best bet’, Holly thought. ‘The low fat ham sub sounds like a good option’ Holly thinks, as she tucks into her sandwich, before setting off home. 

The kids are back from school and her youngest has brought home her goodies from a cookery lesson that day. ‘Try one of my mince pies mum!’ She says. How could she say no to that?! And she enjoys it warm, with a drizzle of cream.

She gets tea ready for the kids – pizza and chips will do tonight she thinks, as she simultaneously dishes up and irons her little black dress! Pinching a few chips, she dashes upstairs to get ready.

Forty five minutes later, Holly’s at her work do, ordering her first drink for the night. A gin and tonic – ‘only 2½ Syns!’ she grins, although the measure of gin looked a little generous. As her colleagues arrive, a complimentary glass of champagne is plonked into her hand, and Holly’s soon having a whale of a time, dancing the night away!

The buffet is served and Holly is excited by the feast before her. ‘Brilliant, this is what I’ve been saving my Syns for!’ She says. She piles her plate with a couple of cheese sandwiches, a slice of quiche, a sausage roll and some crisps. ‘That’s around 15 Syns’ Holly says.

She enjoys the savoury selection – then the desserts come out. ‘Mmmm, Christmas pudding! My first taste this year’ Holly says, tucking into a bowl with brandy cream.

After a glass of mulled wine to round the evening off, Holly heads home. ‘I’ll just have a nightcap before bed’ she says, and pours herself a glass of brandy, swooping on another homemade mince pie to accompany it.

Holly goes to bed, pleased with how her day had gone. She’d begun the festive season on track for weight loss success!

How many Syns do they think Holly really had?

Let’s see….

The actual amount is over 150 Syns!

The moral of the story…. Don’t forget all those hidden Syns!

What went wrong?

Breakfast: Holly used streaky bacon, with the fat still on (at least 6 Syns for 3 rashers). She’d used wholemeal bread as her Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice so she’d need to count the oil that she cooked the eggs in as Syns (6 Syns per tbsp). She had butter on the toast (3½ Syns for 10g portion). She didn’t count the Syns in the brown sauce (1 Syn per tbsp.). She didn’t include any Superfree food with her breakfast.
What could she have done differently? – poached her eggs, used lean bacon and trimmed off all visible fat, added mushrooms and tomatoes as Superfree Food.

Coffee shop:  Gingerbread latte is a shocking 12½ Syns for a medium one (made with full fat milk), a biscotti biscuit is 8 Syns.
What could she have done differently? Stuck to the Americano (black coffee) and added her own measure of skimmed milk (which is part of her Healthy Extra ‘a’ allowance).

She didn’t count the Thorntons chocolate truffle (3 Syns)
Lunch: A Subway low fat 6 inch ham sub on white is 12½ Syns. What could she have done differently? A Free jacket potato with beans from Spud-u-like would have been a better option.
Daughter’s mince pie (standard is 12 Syns) & cream (1 tbsp full fat single cream is 1½ Syns)
A handful of chips (around 100g) is 5½ Syns
Gin and tonic – large measure of gin (35ml) is 4 Syns. Was the tonic slimline? (It’s not Free if not)
Glass of champagne (100ml) is 4 Syns
Buffet: Two cheese sandwiches (11 Syns), a 67g slice of quiche Lorraine (10 Syns), a snack size sausage roll is 6 Syns, 25g ready salted crisps is 6 Syns.
Christmas pudding (8 Syns for a 50g serving) and brandy cream (3½ Syns for 1 tbsp)
Mulled wine is 10 Syns per 100ml
Brandy is 4 Syns per 35ml. Second mince pie is another 12 Syns.