Flax seed meal?

Options
where can I get this flax seed meal? I've seen recipes posted on here but I can't find it. I live in rural Tennessee. It's not at walmart or Kroger. There is just not much else around here. I do go to Memphis occasionally so maybe I could find some there. Do you have to go to a health food store?

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town, and oddly enough, our local Piggly Wiggly has it. Our Walmart does not carry it. I would recommend ordering it online-- amazon.com has it pretty cheap and on auto-ship.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The Piggly Wiggly in my town does not carry it so I did not check the one in the next town over. I'll check there!
  • nancycaregiver
    Options
    Is there a difference in flax seed and flax seed meal? Walmart has flax seed but I didn't think these were the same thing.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed meal is ground up flaxseed. If you cant find the meal, you can always buy the flaxseed and use a coffee grinder to grind them up. Flaxseeds don't break up in your stomach--therefore not giving you the fiber from it. You have to have it ground in order for it to do any good.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It goes bad faster when it's ground, so if local supply is a bit old, you may be better off grinding your own.

I prefer the taste of golden flaxseed meal.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    It goes bad faster when it's ground, so if local supply is a bit old, you may be better off grinding your own.

I didn't know it went bad faster when it's ground vs not, but I keep all mine in the freezer anyways to last longer. Same with brown rice, when I used to eat it, and nuts if I buy ahead of time and am not eating them right away.

OP - I've found it at Kroger (edit: in the health food section), but I'm in Indiana. I prefer ground, just because it doesn't get stuck in my teeth like the seeds!
  • shar140
    Options
    oops, wrong button. double post.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I have been able to find Bob's Red Mill products at wal-mart usually in the baking section. If all else fails it can be ordered online.

As for long term use and storage. They recommend a cool dry place. For me living in Phoenix, Arizona I keep many items prone to becoming rancid in the fridge or freezer year round. However I know people in cooler climates can keep things easily in a pantry. I find I use my flax meal too quickly to worry about where it is stored.

Whole flax can last longer. I buy ground for the convenience ( as I do often with items like chia, cacao nibs, almond meal, hemp seed or hulled hemp seed).

When I used to live in a relatively rural location (town of 7,000) we had a general store/pharmacy/drug store (a store that carried just about everything you needed) they would order this for me and when they found the request from other customers too and the need to keep these items on the shelf worth while they did.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I actually just found, and purchased, flax seed meal at my local Hispanic market last night. It was $2.99 for just under 2lbs! If you don't have any Hispanic markets around, I'd suggest amazon. Usually you can find good prices and a wide selection
  • nancycaregiver
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
  • shar140
    Options
    I actually just found, and purchased, flax seed meal at my local Hispanic market last night. It was $2.99 for just under 2lbs! If you don't have any Hispanic markets around, I'd suggest amazon. Usually you can find good prices and a wide selection

I hadn't even thought to look there, though my local one is pretty small. But I do hit it up frequently for cheap avocados and fresh pork rinds! :love:
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I buy my flax seed (and most herbs) at an Amish Bulk foods store. Very low price.
    The one I frequent most often is Centerville bulk foods, In the middle of corn fields outside Intercourse, PA.