New here to this group with a question

Options
Quick question for you. If my TDEE is 2721 for lightly active option does that mean I burn 2721/24=113 cal per hour. Since my major burns are from power walking and cycling do I subtract 113 cal/hr from my total burns? Example- I cycle for 3 hours and burn 1800 cal. To get my correct exercise cal recorded do I take 1800-(113*3)? I selected lightly active because I prefer to eat back my large burn days and my schedule is not fixed week to week. Thanks.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Quick question for you. If my TDEE is 2721 for lightly active option does that mean I burn 2721/24=113 cal per hour. Since my major burns are from power walking and cycling do I subtract 113 cal/hr from my total burns? Example- I cycle for 3 hours and burn 1800 cal. To get my correct exercise cal recorded do I take 1800-(113*3)? I selected lightly active because I prefer to eat back my large burn days and my schedule is not fixed week to week. Thanks.

Not only that, but you would then proceed to take the same deficit off exercise as you are the non-exercise part of the day.

(non-exercise TDEE + exercise) - 15% = daily goal. Normal way of doing it with this method.

non-exercise TDEE - 15% + exercise - 15% = daily goal. Your desired way.

And as you commented, that exercise burn already has what was planned for that hr removed. Or hrs in example.

My spreadsheet on the MFP Tweak tab does all this for you automatically, for exactly the situation you want.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options

Not only that, but you would then proceed to take the same deficit off exercise as you are the non-exercise part of the day.

(non-exercise TDEE + exercise) - 15% = daily goal. Normal way of doing it with this method.

And as you commented, that exercise burn already has what was planned for that hr removed. Or hrs in example.

My spreadsheet on the MFP Tweak tab does all this for you automatically, for exactly the situation you want.

And I am guessing I substitute 20% instead of 15%. By doing that my non heavy exercise net is 2177.
  • The2ndconspiracy
    Options
    I'd planned on using my TDEE set at sedentary, and simply eating back my exercise calories. I tend to exercise sporadically. Would this be all right? My HRM can track my calories burned, so I should be able to keep track accurately.

So, my BMR is 1484. My TDEE is 1781. My cut amount, set at 15% fat loss, is 1514. So I plan to eat 1514 a day, and on the days that I exercise, eat back those calories. Does this sound accurate?
  • heybales
    Options
    I'd planned on using my TDEE set at sedentary, and simply eating back my exercise calories. I tend to exercise sporadically. Would this be all right? My HRM can track my calories burned, so I should be able to keep track accurately.

So, my BMR is 1484. My TDEE is 1781. My cut amount, set at 15% fat loss, is 1514. So I plan to eat 1514 a day, and on the days that I exercise, eat back those calories. Does this sound accurate?

That is a valid way of doing it and great for variability in routine.

And it's come up so many times before, I included it in the spreadsheet referenced above.

Because actually, you need to remove calories your non-exercise TDEE already had planned for that exercise time, and the same % deficit as your non-exercise TDEE is getting.

Otherwise, you really aren't getting a 15% deficit.

Additionally, that spreadsheet has a HRM tab to confirm you got your's setup as best it can be. At least one setting can give calorie burns very off from reality, and may have another optional stat that works great if correct as can be.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • heybales
    Options

And I am guessing I substitute 20% instead of 15%. By doing that my non heavy exercise net is 2177.

So yes, the math would literally be.

non-exercise TDEE 2721 - 20% = 2177 daily goal. 544 deficit with no exercise included.

Exercise 3 hrs for 1800 calories reported on HRM = 1800 - (2721 / 24 * 3) = 1460 calories burned over planned TDEE already expected.
    1460 extra calories - 20% = 1168 to eat back.
    Total deficit = 544 + 292 = 836

TDEE = 4181 (2721 + 1460) * 20% = 836

Math comes out the same either way!

In the spreadsheet, you enter Calorie burn and minutes of exercise, it tells you the amount to eat back and extra deficit and total deficit, just as above.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options

So yes, the math would literally be.

non-exercise TDEE 2721 - 20% = 2177 daily goal. 544 deficit with no exercise included.

Exercise 3 hrs for 1800 calories reported on HRM = 1800 - (2721 / 24 * 3) = 1460 calories burned over planned TDEE already expected.
    1460 extra calories - 20% = 1168 to eat back.
    Total deficit = 544 + 292 = 836

TDEE = 4181 (2721 + 1460) * 20% = 836

Math comes out the same either way!

In the spreadsheet, you enter Calorie burn and minutes of exercise, it tells you the amount to eat back and extra deficit and total deficit, just as above.

Ok, One more stab at this and I think I have it.
    I ran my numbers again using the Karth-McArdle forumula BMR 2077 TDEE 2856 Light Activity TDEE cut 20% 2284

That is a net deficit of 571 calories

Today's power walk resulted in a burn per Polar HRM 1583 (tested several times and accurate).

1583 HRM burn - (2856 TDEE/1440 min/day) * 169 min = 335 calories

1583 - 335 * 20% = 998 net calories burned from power walk

My TDEE of 2284 which is 20% cut is how much I would eat on a non-exercise day. Now I add the net 998 from today's power walk to get an eat back net calorie total of 2284 + 998 = 3282.

I don't have access to your spreadsheet yet. I will try to look at it Monday. I have not reached my TDEE cut calories yet as I have just increased from 1660 to 2000. I will work my way up to 2284 soon. Since I have upped my calories the past 3 days I have already lost 1 pound from my 30 day stall. My energy level for the walk was much better also.

My half marathon walk is March 3rd and I hit 11.68 miles today at a pace of 4.1 mph. With the increased calorie level I feel my strength returning. Thanks for your help.
  • heybales
    Options
    I ran my numbers again using the Karth-McArdle forumula BMR 2077 TDEE 2856 Light Activity TDEE cut 20% 2284

Today's power walk resulted in a burn per Polar HRM 1583 (tested several times and accurate).

My TDEE of 2284 which is 20% cut is how much I would eat on a non-exercise day. Now I add the net 998 from today's power walk to get an eat back net calorie total of 2284 + 998 = 3282.

I don't have access to your spreadsheet yet. I will try to look at it Monday. I have not reached my TDEE cut calories yet as I have just increased from 1660 to 2000. I will work my way up to 2284 soon. Since I have upped my calories the past 3 days I have already lost 1 pound from my 30 day stall. My energy level for the walk was much better also.

My half marathon walk is March 3rd and I hit 11.68 miles today at a pace of 4.1 mph. With the increased calorie level I feel my strength returning. Thanks for your help.

You got the math right on.

Just for keeping it straight in case talking to others.
    Your non-exercise TDEE is avg 2856.
    Your 20% deficit net eating goal is 2284.
    Gross calories burned was 1583, Net calories burned was 1248, 20 deficit was 998.

I'll bet you got some strength returning, and probably some great improvements coming.
    Sadly, some of those improvements likely will not show up on the scale - so be prepared with measurements of inches to see those drop.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options

Gross calories burned was 1583, Net calories burned was 1248, 20 deficit was 998.

I'll bet you got some strength returning, and probably some great improvements coming.
    Sadly, some of those improvements likely will not show up on the scale - so be prepared with measurements of inches to see those drop.

On days I cannot properly eat back my net calories due to a large burn I can carry over to my non exercise day and eat back the deficit then to keep my weekly net calorie goal on track?
  • heybales
    Options

On days I cannot properly eat back my net calories due to a large burn I can carry over to my non exercise day and eat back the deficit then to keep my weekly net calorie goal on track?

You bet. Works great in fact, did that all the time on late long bike rides. Still hungry for carbs the next day so got bigger breakfast and lunch to balance it out. Green one day, red the next is no problem.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options

You bet. Works great in fact, did that all the time on late long bike rides. Still hungry for carbs the next day so got bigger breakfast and lunch to balance it out. Green one day, red the next is no problem.

Thanks! I have learned more in the past 4 days about weight loss finding this group than blindly following the low calorie/high workouts crowd. It worked for a couple of months, but eventually hit a wall in my cycling performance. I turn 60 in January and in addition to walking the half marathon in March I want to ride a century.