High Intensity Training protocol

nick1109
nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
I used to be a high volume trainer (for nearly ten years) and was on a typical 5x5 type routine (such as push pull legs).

The last year or so I've been training high intensity style, when I say HIT I refer specifically to the type of training advocated by Mike Mentzer and Drew Baye. Personally I've used it successfully to drop a fair bit of body fat (coupled with a change of diet) and get the strongest I've been in my life in all of my lifts.

I was wondering if anybody else out there has trained using HIT and what the results were. I'd be interested in both good and bad experiences. Some pro's and cons I've had over the last year or so training this way.

Pros-
Easy to monitor strength increases
Strength has gone up significantly
More time outside of the gym to focus on other things in my life
Increased enthusiasm in the gym through reduction in sessions
Feel fully recovered before each session
Reduced niggles and injuries

Cons-
Volume needs monitoring very carefully
Hard at first to go down to just 1 workout every 5-10 days
DOMS are crippling
Mentally hard work training with the intensity required on each workout
kills the CNS, thus requiring more layoff between workouts

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Sounds kind of like a high volume bodybuilding type workout if you're only training every 5 days.

For me, I can't imagine doing that, I'd rather train 4x per week, not have awful DOMS, and not rape myself mentally.
  • nick1109
    Each to their own and I used to think the same way as you and thought I'd never change.

Also its very low volume work I'm doing, generally 4 exercises per workout, 2 light warm up sets followed by and all out working set
  • ilovedeadlifts
    What does a typical workout look like?

I just find it hard to believe that people get stronger while training 4-5 times per month.....Not saying it can't happen it just definitely isn't optimal unless you're time limited and only WANT to train once a week.
  • nick1109
    It’s a good point you raise and one that I pondered for a while before giving this type of training a go. I did a lot of reading on the subject too. I understand its not for everyone hence why I was on here looking for other peoples experiences with HIT.

As for my routine, the one I’ve been doing for the last 4 months

Pull.
    Deadlifts-
    Lat pulls
    Rows
    DB curls

Rest 5-10 days, then:

Push
    Squats
    BB bench press
    BB overhead press

repeat

Deads have gone from 125kg x6 to 160kg x4, bench has gone from 65kg x 6 to 85kg and squats from 90kg x 8 to 120kg x 6

Not bad strength gains really, although you may not be all that impressed by my lifts they are for me life time bests. I was lifting near this about 5 years ago using high volume but I weighed 14.5 stones, I currently weight only 13 stones so pound for pound I’ve really gotten stronger and I'm spoting a hell of a lot less fat (I'd guess at 20% 5 years ago compared to 12% now)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    how much volume are you doing for deads, pulls, etc though.

I guess I'm just trying to understand why you're having to rest for 5-10 days between sessions. Are you doing like 20 sets of deads and pulldowns?
    I typically do deads, squats, abs, and rows on Friday, then am fully recovered and able to squat heavy 3 days later on monday.

Progress is progress so I'm not trying to undermine your lifts. If you're getting stronger then something is working.
  • nick1109
    I know and no offence taken.

In terms of volume. Its really kept pretty low in all honestly.

I usually do 2-3 light warm up up sets followed by and all out set to failure.

For example. Deadlifts

I might do

80kg-5 reps
    120kg-5 reps
    160kg- reps to failure (aim for between 4 and 8)

As an avid deadlifter and squater you can probbably imagine the pain and intensity doing a set of deads of squats. For this reason I allow plenty of recovery time for my body to repair, adapt and then over compensate before the next workout where I will ask more of it (more reps or more weight). I may typically leave 10-14 days between deadlift days.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    So it's kind of like a tweaked 5/3/1 with more rest between workouts I guess? With 5/3/1 you have 3 working sets, last one is taken just shy of failure. (you still get great strength gains without risking injury or frying your CNS).

I'm still not really understanding the lengthy time between sessions, but I'm glad the protocol seems to be working for you. If it's easy and works,despite being a little unconventional, that's all you can ask for.
  • nick1109
    It does sound a bit similar to 5/3/1. I agree HIT does fry the CNS a little but this is the reason for longer breaks between workouts. Also I use very strict form once I cannot manage the rep with good form the rep is over, I know some people would start using sloppy form which could certainly be dangerous.

It is a bit 'out there' and unconventional but you're right, if it aint broke don't fix it. Once my gains stop on my current routine I'll assess why this is. I won't rule out going back to a more conventional routine such as 5x5 as I did enjoy those type workouts to be honest.

I think in terms of gaining size and strength most people who are not growing are either guilty of not working hard enough in the gym using progressive overload, not eating enough or more often than not both!