what do you do when

Options
4themoney
4themoney Posts: 797 Member
someone blows you off?

do you just move on or do you contact them?

do you feel better if you do one vs. the other?

if that person contacts you again afterwards do you talk to them?

i'm curious. :-) i don't have any single friends in real life that i can ask these kinds of questions.

thanks!

Replies

• Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    love reading your topics....

i am in the same boat...really don't have any single friends to ask, and family isn't a big help either.

i was blown off twice by a guy about a month ago...yet he contacted me afterwards to apologize, i finally caught on to him when he did it to me a third time, and he didn't contact me after that.

it depends on the situation. i would move on, but then would want to contact them. i think i might feel better if i knew what was going on, and why i was being blown off...but then again i don't in case he comes back with "oh, i was out with so and so."

i wear my heart on my sleeve, which i shouldn't...lol...but if they contact me after a blow off, i do talk to them...i feel like there maybe some hope...but then my heart and dreams just end up being crushed.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    If I was really into the guy I'd fish one more time. This would be mainly for ME. I'll explain. Since I was into him, naturally I am upset he blew me off. So I'll throw out bait to be harsh on myself and for it to be clear to ME, that this guy whom I had a great "connection" with, who was into me at first BLEW me off. He lost interest and poofed on me. So this last try is confirmation to myself that the guy is not interested nor does he even care to let me know.

Once that clicks, I swear... Something goes off in me that turns it around from "that sucks that he blew me off" to "f&ck him, his loss".

Again, this is when I was really into the guy (doesn't happen often). If I wasn't crazy about I just move on.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    If I was really into the guy I'd fish one more time. This would be mainly for ME. I'll explain. Since I was into him, naturally I am upset he blew me off. So I'll throw out bait to be harsh on myself and for it to be clear to ME, that this guy whom I had a great "connection" with, who was into me at first BLEW me off. He lost interest and poofed on me. So this last try is confirmation to myself that the guy is not interested nor does he even care to let me know.

Once that clicks, I swear... Something goes off in me that turns it around from "that sucks that he blew me off" to "f&ck him, his loss".

Again, this is when I was really into the guy (doesn't happen often). If I wasn't crazy about I just move on.

i always say "**** him, his loss." i am a very genuine person and if he doesn't like that, then move along...but then again its hard for me to say do that...i mean i really like that person for some reason, but yet they didn't seem to like me.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Me personally i give them a chance to explain an weigh their excuse. I always give everyone a second chance to a fault
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    someone blows you off?

i'm curious. :-) i don't have any single friends in real life that i can ask these kinds of questions.

thanks!

You know if you contact them (either phone call or text) and they don't return your message in 24 hours. I don't care how busy you are, everyone has 10 seconds to text someone back.

If they blow you off, don't bother contacting them, you'll just pester them and make yourself look silly.

If he contacts *you* after he blows *you* off initially, it's totally up to you. No one should give you a specific yes or no answer here, it all depends on how you feel about him.
  • 4themoney
    Options
    oh i was just looking for what other people do. not what i SHOULD do.

i don't contact. you blow me off, i don't contact you. i don't call and say " where are you?" or "where were you?" of " what happened?" i just let it be. i WILL typically give someone three strikes and then you're done........ that's about it though :-)

i was just wondering what others do.

this guy, i don't really know him. i mean, i was into him, but only knew him for a week. so, it's not like we had some crazy connection. i had hoped we would though ;-)

i was also starting to wonder if maybe i was going about getting blown off wrong. like somehow doing myself a disservice by not being a jerk about it all

that's all :-)

thanks!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    You know if you contact them (either phone call or text) and they don't return your message in 24 hours. I don't care how busy you are, everyone has 10 seconds to text someone back.

If they blow you off, don't bother contacting them, you'll just pester them and make yourself look silly.

If he contacts *you* after he blows *you* off initially, it's totally up to you. No one should give you a specific yes or no answer here, it all depends on how you feel about him.

Yes, this is a good course of action and said well.

If someone breaks a date early on, that's a major party foul. If they have a good explanation and they offer to re-schedule and perhaps do some of the planning for the re-schedule, that will usually be acceptable. But the onus is on them to do the work to make the date happen.
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    oh i was just looking for what other people do. not what i SHOULD do.

i don't contact. you blow me off, i don't contact you. i don't call and say " where are you?" or "where were you?" of " what happened?" i just let it be. i WILL typically give someone three strikes and then you're done........ that's about it though :-)

i was just wondering what others do.

this guy, i don't really know him. i mean, i was into him, but only knew him for a week. so, it's not like we had some crazy connection. i had hoped we would though ;-)

i was also starting to wonder if maybe i was going about getting blown off wrong. like somehow doing myself a disservice by not being a jerk about it all

that's all :-)

thanks!

I'd generally follow the advice that I gave,

I've taken people back after they blown me off before. I remember I went on 2 dates with a girl and all of a sudden she "pulled a Houdini" on me. She contacted me weeks (I think it was over a month) later and we ended up going out a couple more times. We got to know each other better and realized we were never meant to be.

So yes, I've taken people back after they blown me off.
  • 4themoney
    Options
    have you ever asked someone why they pulled a houdini?

i always wonder what i did or said or didn't do or didn't say, but i've never asked. i often wonder what would happen if i did........
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    have you ever asked someone why they pulled a houdini?

i always wonder what i did or said or didn't do or didn't say, but i've never asked. i often wonder what would happen if i did........

The girl who did it to me said that she reconnected with someone else.

I initially felt bad because I felt like the second choice. But, I sucked it up anyway and pretended that your post- poof date was kind of like a first date.

I think when people poof they usually met someone else.
  • 4themoney
    Options
    so, you did ask???
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I asked one guy when I ran into him a month later. He said he'd wished we could have gone out again. I asked him why he poofed on me (twice) if he really felt that way...did I give him the wrong signals? He said I gave all the right signals but he felt inadequate for me (I was higher rank, more accomplished). I told him I didn't care about all that, but by then I was dating BB so it doesn't matter anyway.

I asked another guy, who poofed on me and then came back into my life as a friend months later. He told me the reason he poofed the first time is because I wasn't sexy enough.
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    I agree it depends on the situation and the person but also, it takes a few seconds to send a text & say "hey XYZ xame up, I'll be busy next weekend with so & so" or whatever. At least I know that is what I'd do if I was interested in someone so they'd know I am interested & not just blowing them off. Life happens, people have demanding jobs, family, kids. Hopefully people understand that. But I live by the "treat people the way I want to be treated" mentality, not everyone else does.

Years ago there was a very popular book that came out, "He's Just Not That Into You". I highly recommend it as it really helped me understand & changed my views on what men do & answered a ton of previous questions I had always pondered. When a guy is interested, he's interested. There are usually no if's and's or but's. But when he isn't interested, he puts minimal effort in, doesn't give a darn one way or the other. Will make plans last minute, if nothing better is going on. A guy that is interested will make plans way ahead of time, he wants to look forward to seeing you and he also wants to know you've secured time with him, not someone else. If there are always so many questions, does he like me? Does he this? Does he that, it just isn't right. When it's the right person & feelings are mutual things just flow more naturally and all those what ifs just aren't there.

Also, I've realized, the hard way, that when a guy kinda just poof! disappears there's a reason. When it comes to dating sites, I always figure hey, he met someone else and is investing time in them. Once again, unless, he has the courtesy to say hey, I've got ___ going on. It kinda pissed me off at first and I was insulted, then I was like oh well, their loss! And I move on.
  • 4themoney
    Options
    i read that book too, and that's kinda how i've always gauged things.

this guy, that blew me off tonight. was putting tons of time in. hours on the phone, and he wanted to meet monday night and i suggested sunday, his response was " how about sunday AND monday?" this was friday. he came over friday night and when he left things seemed normal/ ok.

he worked all day saturday, and texted me when he got home.
    this morning, he told me he'd text me when he dropped his boys off, before he came over and that was it. never heard from him. he never showed up. i signed into match.com and he was online.

so, he appeared interested! apparently he wasn't though. or, he found someone else to talk to.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    A guy that is interested will make plans way ahead of time, he wants to look forward to seeing you and he also wants to know you've secured time with him, not someone else.

This is soooooo true! For 4 months (until I moved) BB never finished a date without already setting up the next one.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    he appeared interested! apparently he wasn't though. or, he found someone else to talk to.

Actually, since he did showed up out of the blue Friday instead of setting a firm date it seems to me that he was not all THAT invested. You're right that guys talking on the phone is usually a good sign, but I've had them poof even after hours on the phone. Could be they were bored at work, or driving on a long drive and just needed someone to talk to, or they were genuinely liking me but then something turned them off (like me not wanting to have kids). IDK what it is in your situation, but I say cut your losses and be grateful that you haven't invested much time in him.

You deserve better. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    i read that book too, and that's kinda how i've always gauged things.

this guy, that blew me off tonight. was putting tons of time in. hours on the phone, and he wanted to meet monday night and i suggested sunday, his response was " how about sunday AND monday?" this was friday. he came over friday night and when he left things seemed normal/ ok.

he worked all day saturday, and texted me when he got home.
    this morning, he told me he'd text me when he dropped his boys off, before he came over and that was it. never heard from him. he never showed up. i signed into match.com and he was online.

so, he appeared interested! apparently he wasn't though. or, he found someone else to talk to.

This is the kind of stuff that used to infuriate me until I developed my "whatever" attitude. When they DO invest a lot of time, talking, texting etc, then they just don't show up or call or whatever, ugh that makes me soooooooo mad. Like WHY? Why spend the time chatting, making plans, etc to just not follow through. I totally used to stew over it like you are again, until I developed my current attitude. I am so over that childish behavior. Either you are interested or not. We are adults, don't play stupid mind games. I am an understanding person but to what extreme is there always something else going on? And then not to call or show, TOTALLY rude & disrespectful to you, someone he supposedly likes and is trying to get to know. Unacceptable. Would he like that done to him, doubt it. I'd rather be alone than deal with that crap. Because when the right person does come along, to date, get serious with, whatever it is you are both looking for, all this back and forth junk will not be there. I also try to step out of the situation and look at it as an outsider. Listen to your situation as if it were happening to a friend and look at it from that perspective, what advice you'd give a friend, take it yourself.
  • 4themoney
    Options
    thank you.
    friday night was actually one of those nights that thankfully worked out. we BOTH had our kids this weekend. and his daughter had to work. so, it was a matter of all of the cards falling in the right places. but, they did. so, he came over. and it really did seem like it went ok...... when he left i didn't think anything was up.

all i can guess is that something went down or i said something or did something or didn't say, or do, something. ya know? but, yeah, since not much time was invested its not like i can really CARE that much, LOL!!!!

i guess i have to be even picker now ;-)

Actually, since he did showed up out of the blue Friday instead of setting a firm date it seems to me that he was not all THAT invested. You're right that guys talking on the phone is usually a good sign, but I've had them poof even after hours on the phone. Could be they were bored at work, or driving on a long drive and just needed someone to talk to, or they were genuinely liking me but then something turned them off (like me not wanting to have kids). IDK what it is in your situation, but I say cut your losses and be grateful that you haven't invested much time in him.

You deserve better. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • marvelprime
    marvelprime Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    someone blows you off?

It depends on the circumstance. Some of my friends are "text ignorers". It annoys the living hell out of me, but some people find this socially acceptable. As far as dating goes, it's just a complete attraction killer. It displays lack of interest.
    I will give someone a benefit of the doubt a couple of times. In regards to relationships, after someone keeps repeating same pattern of flaking out or not responding, I move on. With some of my female friends, I try not to take it personal...after all I'm not the boyfriend or fwb.

I feel better when I communicate to people what is going on, I feel it's an issue of respect to actually respond.

I'd respond since I don't break my own standards just because someone else has different ones.

thanks!

Don't know if it helps, but that's my opin LOL
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    assuming we are talking about dating?
    someone blows you off?

i move on. even if i am really into them or interested in what happened.

this has happened to me a few times. the worse was a a guy i had been dating for several months. one day he just disappeared and never called me back. it hurt like heck at first but i got over it. a year later he reached out to me and was like "hi how's it going". "breaking up with you was a mistake. can we meet up again?"

needless to say the lack of trust on my part plus the fact that i had moved on emotionally was enough to make me not interested to go back and revisit the past.

being blown off is a BIG issue for me because i've faced similar issues in my family life. so if someone blows me off once they dont get a second chance