Switching from Atkins to Primal

Options
I plan to switch from Atkins Induction to Primal any advice? Go from 20ish carbs to 50-100 should I up them slow or all at once is fine?

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Whoa, induction? You have my sympathy. I could NOT do that.

My advice - yeah, up them as fast as you like. You're here to eat real food, not strictly low carb - or low carb at all, even. Don't be afraid to snack on an apple or a banana, or enjoy.a sweet potato for dinner - I have an awesome recipe for sweet potato fries. :3

Oh, and welcome to Primal - I'm fairly certain you'll like it more than Atkins. Far less restrictive, far more rewarding.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Phew...been there done that. Atkins induction is awesome to start then I found it really awful. Should be pretty easy to up your carbs to that amount just by increasing your vegetables.

Can't see any reason why doing it all at once would be a problem unless the increase in fibre upsets your system a bit. I can swing between 20 carbs one day and 70-80 another day no problem - as long as it averages out over a week.

Howl_shadowknight - I know you're not a fan of low carb but if you don't have weight to lose then it's not an issue. Keeping the carbs lower when doing primal/paleo is important for weight loss to allow the body to start to burn fat rather than sugar.

All the best with it.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Howl_shadowknight - I know you're not a fan of low carb but if you don't have weight to lose then it's not an issue. Keeping the carbs lower when doing primal/paleo is important for weight loss to allow the body to start to burn fat rather than sugar.

All the best with it.

Picked up on that, huh? :P Yeah, I'm not really a fan, to be sure; it's annoying enough being coeliac and having eyes be rolled when I clarify if my meal is 100% gluten free (latest celeb fad - Miley Cyrus lost weight on a gluten free diet!!! :grumble: ) so having reactions like "Oh, so you're on a low carb diet?" when I explain I eat Primal is kind of a double pain in the *kitten* for me. Personal thing, I guess.

Don't get me wrong though - each to their own, controlling one's carb intake is a great strategy for weight loss. Hell, if there was any macronutrients I'd eliminate/limit, it'd be carbs - they're not necessary, while fats and proteins are.

So please, don't just think I'm a hater on low carb or anything. I'm not. Srsly. I'm just saying Paleo/Primal is a lot more relaxed and you can enjoy something like a banana or a sweet potato without guilt, is all. :)
  • CaitlinedB
    CaitlinedB Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a problem if you're upping them with higher vegetable intake. I've read that if you're doing paleo/primal to lose weight you should limit your intake of high sugar fruits such as bananas/cherries/grapes, so I would just be careful with increasing your carbs with fruit. IMO