Bombed out royally on week 4 day 1, advice?

Options
So, I've been mixing it up a bit, sometimes doing couch to 5k on a treadmill and other times doing it on a hilly paved trail. For week 3, I did two sessions on the treadmill and one session on the trail and overall it was tough, but fine.

Now, I do extra walking because I'm having a hard time staying low enough on calories to actually lose weight. I know between that and eating at a deficit that I probably am not helping myself out with couch to 5k.

Today, I made it through the first 3 minute run, but, a couple minutes into the 5 minute run I just couldn't make myself go any further as my shins and left ankle were killing me. Unfortunately I do have cheap shoes, had problems finding a wide width and there just wasn't much selection. There were basically two wide width shoes and neither of them felt right. I can't change my shoes right now. Additionally, we sold my treadmill this week so I'm stuck probably doing future runs on a paved trail.

Are there stretches I can do that might help? Should I give up on couch to 5k for now and return when I've gotten under 200 lbs and can afford to actually be fitted for a shoe that fits?

Replies

• Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Make sure you do your 5 minute warm up and if you are having a hard time getting through your run then you probably need to slow down. The goal is distance not speed. Once you graduate and are running for 30 minutes at a time you can work on speed. I would also find a place with less hills if you could.

As for your shoes, new balance is excellent for wide feet, I order mine from http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/ and they were around $40.00 or $50.00.
    I am on W7 and when I am running 30 minutes easily I will worry about getting my foot fitted and checked for new running shoes.

I am still really talking myself into finishing the last few minutes of each run but my breathing isn't to bad I am just tired and my ankle and shins get a little achy. After the 5 minute cool down I do a few simple easy stretches and that helps to alleviate the pain in my shins that I get after running. I also take a lot more Aleeve these days ;-) I am 47 years old and well over 200 pounds but I am getting lighter every day! If I can do it, you can do it!

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    slow down and dont play with lots of hills at this point
    to show you how slow I am two elderly ladies passed me today powerwalking
    was is embarassing hells ya lol BUT they smiled and said keep it up you will lap us come spring
    god I hope so lol
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't know if my outlook on C25k is correct or not but I figured as long as I finished the last day of any week I was good to go on to the next one. Looking back at my own W4 D1 I didn't completely run the five minute runs but by W4 D3 I did finish each segment.

As others have pointed out, don't worry about speed. Run fast enough to complete the runs not so fast that you hurt yourself.

For avoiding hills, is there a track or even a large playground at a nearby school?

And get good shoes, makes all the difference.

Keep at it.

Fredf
    W8 D1 completed
  • SammiFrancs
    SammiFrancs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to get HORRIBLE shin splints. I recommend Asics. Don't just go for what looks nice, do the research. I can usually find them for $40 if its "last years style", but I splurged this year (Although it was $115, I did online research- found a coupon code and got them for $75). The sneakers will make the difference.

Personally, hiking outside has always been better for me. Makes the run go faster and the fresh air keeps me going. I used to prefer running inside, but recently pushed myself to become more comfortable being outdoors.

And lastly, Go Slow. Work on making it through the run time, then work on speed later. It will come to you I promise.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You did NOT bomb out... you were out there trying and that's GREAT !!!

Slow down... even walk if you have too. It's not a race to finish fast. And work up to the hills. If you have a fairly flat area, how about just running back and forth on that ??

I am slow. I could probably walk as fast as I'm jogging. I call what I do a "woggle". A mix of walk / jog. But I'm moving. I struggled at first too, but now I'm nearing the end. Still don't get a full 5K in the alloted time, but will continue to work on that.

Yup... SHOES are an important item. I have ASICS GT2170. I was lucky to hit a good sale and now I'm looking for it again, so I can get another pair.

Just be patient with yourself. Don't give up. Slow and steady.
  • SammiFrancs
    SammiFrancs Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I am slow. I could probably walk as fast as I'm jogging. I call what I do a "woggle". A mix of walk / jog. But I'm moving.

Haha I call my running "slogging":: slow jogging haha
  • averys7
    averys7 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is all really great advice. I'm on week two and it is going pretty well...I'm nervous about some of the future weeks! Thanks for all the good tips everyone....and hang in there, doing something is always better than nothing!
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Finally got a chance to get on a treadmill and re-attempt day 1. With the spring of the deck I didn't have the shin and ankle pain, so then it was just surviving it.. lol. My jog segments were only at 4.3, but, the were jogging motion anyhow. It wasn't painful, just tough like it's supposed to be, so, I think I'll save jogging for the treadmill until I either get new shoes or get a bit lighter.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to second the recommendation for New Balance shoes; my feet are as wide as anything and my NB are really comfy. I still have 70+ pounds to lose, been doing C25K since September (did 5 miles today, 4 miles running) and have never once had shin splints or food pain beyond the sort of slight ache you get after a long day.

There's various advice around on foot position and strike which might make a difference on the trail. If you're running on the treadmill, you might want to add a slight incline.
  • msfaithful
    msfaithful Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend music....get out your head and let the music take you...before you know it you'll hear.."Begin your cool down"... :flowerforyou:
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I don't know if my outlook on C25k is correct or not but I figured as long as I finished the last day of any week I was good to go on to the next one.

I take the same approach -- I don't care how long it takes me to finish a week (I've had some "weeks" stretch on for close to three or four weeks), but once i can finish the last day, and truly truly finish it -- no walking when I'm supposed to be running , no stopping unless it's to pop my knee back into place to alleviate pain -- I move on. And then I start the process again.

I finally finished W4D3 today. I'll take a several-days break -- for me, if I try to take only one rest day, my calves and thighs still really hurt, and I can't finish it, so I just walk -- and then start W5D1 on Monday.

I've signed up for my first 5K in May, so as long as I'm done by then, I'm happy.