Metabolism Reset (HELP)

Options
Good morning. I thought I was bulking, but realized that I am actually doing a metabolism reset. Just started December 1st. TDEE is 2040. I upped my calories to 2040. I plan on doing the reset until I feel it is time to cut. I have lost about 125-130 lbs over the last 2 years and am wanting to lose another 35 lbs. But most importantly, I want to lose fat and gain muscle and be healthier overall. My question is, how should I be working out during the reset. Should I be mostly lifting with little cardio or balance the cardio and lifting. I'm not a big fan of cardio, but will do it when necessary. I lift heavy and have been increasing my weights. I just want to make sure that I am doing this correctly so that get the maximum benefits. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Gapwedge01
    Options
    I will leave your question for others to answer. I am mostly a cardio guy since I am a cyclist, but lift on occasion to keep my upper body toned. I usually increase my lifting in the winter months when I don't log as many miles on my bike. But I wanted to reply to say congrats on the weight loss. That is a great accomplishment!! Keep it up!
  • beautifulswan1
    beautifulswan1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I will leave your question for others to answer. I am mostly a cardio guy since I am a cyclist, but lift on occasion to keep my upper body toned. I usually increase my lifting in the winter months when I don't log as many miles on my bike. But I wanted to reply to say congrats on the weight loss. That is a great accomplishment!! Keep it up!

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. :)
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    During a reset, I would concentrate on the strength training. Your muscles will love you not eating at a deficit, so you'll really make the most of your training.

A little bit of cardio wouldn't hurt, maybe some HIIT on a couple of your non-training days. However any long aerobics sessions and you could run the risk of catabolizing some of the muscle you have worked hard to fuel and build already. So I would steer clear of that.

I, myself, am not a huge fan of cardio anyway. Most of my non-lifting days are only short HIIT sessions or brisk walks. :smile:
  • beautifulswan1
    beautifulswan1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    During a reset, I would concentrate on the strength training. Your muscles will love you not eating at a deficit, so you'll really make the most of your training.

A little bit of cardio wouldn't hurt, maybe some HIIT on a couple of your non-training days. However any long aerobics sessions and you could run the risk of catabolizing some of the muscle you have worked hard to fuel and build already. So I would steer clear of that.

I, myself, am not a huge fan of cardio anyway. Most of my non-lifting days are only short HIIT sessions or brisk walks. :smile:

Thank you. That's what I will do. :smile:
  • alana_swiss
    Options
    Hi I'm a bit of newb when it comes to the whole EM2WL phenomenon...

So here are my stats:
    female
    Asian decent
    4" 10"
    sedentary
    starting weight (September 2011): 70kg
    current weight: 42kg
    goal weight: 41kg
    goal weight BMR (scooby): 1234.5
    goal weight TDEE (scooby): 1475

I just started my EM2WL journey this week after discovering that my daily caloric intake was dangerously low. At my lowest point, I was only eating about 700 calories a day. I decided I needed a change once I noticed I got very cold easily, my nails turned purple, my hair start falling out, I haven't had my TOM in months... I just constantly felt tried and irritable.

This is the last day of my first week since increasing my calories by 200/day giving me a total of 900 calories. I know it's still much lower than my goal weight TDEE but I'm just not comfortable making the full increase to 1475 calories over night.

Tomorrow is the start of week 2. I plan to increase by another 100/day giving me a total of 1000 calories a day.

I plan on slowly increasing to my goal weight TDEE so do you think my method of increasing by 100-200calories/day every week is the right way to go?
    for example...
    In the first week, I increased from 700cal daily intake to 900cal daily intake
    In the second week I'll increase from 900cal daily intake to 1000cal daily intake
    In the fourth week I'll increase from 1000cal daily intake to 1200cal daily intake
    In the sixth week I'll increase from 1200cal daily intake to 1400cal daily intake

I also plan on eating consistently at my goal weight TDEE for another 8 weeks after my 8 week 'increasing phase'.

After my second phase should I eat at a 5% cut of my goal weight TDEE or just stick to eating my goal weight TDEE?
    Is a cut phase even necessary since I will be eating at my goal weight TDEE so I would be expected to eat this amount to maintain my goal weight...

Sorry for asking too many questions ><

It would be great if you could give me some advice, support, tips or any other necessary information about increasing calories.
    thank you