quitting and weight

Options
doubleh64
doubleh64 Posts: 20 Member
Someone please tell me it is possible to quit smoking and not gain weight but in fact lose or continue to lose weight right from the start? Anyone done this? The quitting stories I've read have all gained initially and then, in the long term, have lost some or all. I need to quit AND I need to lose weight now for health reasons. I cannot afford to put any more weight on and lose it later. If you have done it, please share your tips and strategies. Did you increase your workouts? How did you deal with the increased appetite and slowed metabolism? The sweet cravings? Thanks!

Replies

• stellamakes3
    stellamakes3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    when I quit in the summer, I used to make myself go outside & either chew a piece of gum or a sugar free candy/ mint while i walked my dog. Going outside & talking on the phone were the biggest things that made me want to smoke, so I replaced the cigarette I would usually have while I did those things with healthier habits. I lost 14 lbs in 3 months after quitting, I didn't gain any. Some people replace a cigarette with exercise, or when they are having a craving, they just do 10 pushups, or situps, or take a walk.

Only, I have started smoking again. I want to quit for good this time! And those are some skills I'm going to have to start putting into place again.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I quit just after I reached my goal weight. I have been able to maintain my weight loss and haven't gained a pound (I quit 6 months ago). Honestly, as long as you aren't replacing cigs with food, you aren't likely to gain. Keep logging and tracking your calories and you'll be fine. It is easy to mistake a nicotine craving for hunger pangs. When that feeling strikes, recognize it for what it is (a craving). The big cravings lasted on and off for a week for me then slowly but surely became more manageable with each passing day. When that big craving strikes, instead of reaching for food, go for a walk, do sprints, or just breathe deeply (that's what I did most of the time since I was at work). It will pass within minutes. The psychological/ritual aspect is harder to deal with than the physical craving (at least for me).

You can do this!!!!
  • Michelle644
    Michelle644 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck on you quit. When, I quit I was fine for the first 6 months then, BAM....I've gained 32lbs and it happened fast too. Why? If you gain a few pounds it is better then smoking.