Who has had diabetes education classes

Options
My clinic is associated with a big hospital here, and they hold diabetes classes that every diabetic patient is scheduled to attend, as well as a diabetes nutritionist, which has helped me undertstand my Type 2 diabetes and the right diet a whole lot.

Then when my sister in another state was diagnosed her doctor just gave her meds with very little education about diabetes at all. What is your experience?

Replies

• mamajenb
    mamajenb Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 meetings with nutritionist and have 1 more scheduled. I do find it very helpful.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I was first put on my medicine several years ago and just told to 'watch my carbs'. I was in the prediabetic stage at that time. But his reason to put me on the medicine was to 'curb my urge for carbs'. after years of taking the medicine and not really doing any changes to my diet I asked my doctor if I was a diabetic. He said no because according to diagnosis criteria I only had one sugar above 130. But I reminded him that I was on my Metformin during all those blood sugars. So he said yes, I was. I was the one who pushed it because I thought that if I actually heard the words form my doctor I would be serious about my diet. So he also said he would schedule me for nutritional counseling. That was Oct 18th. I finally start them on Dec 12th!!!!!! It is a series of 4 classes of 2 hours apiece and then a follow up. So I have been on my own for almost 2 months. I got a meter and have been watching my calories and carbs mainly from the guidelines I have got here. BTW, my husband says I always find a way to make a short story long!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well I had my first diabetic class this week and for me I learned very little more than I already do. I was an RN in my pre-MS life but the last time I worked was in 1999 so I had never heard of A1C and the meters are all new. The next classes are form the dietician which is what I am really looking forward to.