support

Options
Mistyblu08
Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
I have just noticed that a lot of you must be a lil like me and not on here all the time staying focused since there hasnt been any notes or comments etc from anyone for DAYS.....

so lets start back up with this:

Does anyone have any exercise tips for starting out either for the first time or back to try again?

How about easy simple recipes? I myself am trying to cut out flours/sugars/white foods so I am checking out recipes books for some ideas there as well.

How about stories of why you want to lose/if you have lost >10lbs- how did you do it?

Are you a yo-yo dieter....why....and whats your plan to stick to it this time?Any big plans or goals to ensure you do? How do you reward youself and at what points?

hmmmm it all made me think and now I need to make some notes:)

Replies

• stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Why I want to lose weight...

Well, like many of you, I want to look good. But, there is more. I carry most of my weight in my abdominal region. The more abdominal fat you have, the more at risk you are for diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, cancer, and stroke. So far, my mother has had 4 out of 5 of those diseases, and she and I are the same shape, size, and build. I don't want those diseases.

I also noticed that since my belly pokes out so much, I have a "sway" back, and I slump a lot. I want to strengthen my core and have good posture. Poor posture (such as rounded shoulders) leads to shoulder anomalies, and I have rotator cuff tendonitis in both of my shoulders as it is. I also have back pain, which I think would improve with less weight.

I also am a weakling. Poor stamina, poor upper and lower body strength. That needs to change.

In short, I want to be healthy and live a life that is full of vitality. How about you?
  • emily_bird
    Options
    Exercise tips:
    View it as a positive thing. Remind yourself of it's benefits.When you start to view it in a positive light, you start to crave it.
    Try and have a routine where you do it every day at a certain time.
    Set yourself a goal - even if it's do it for only 5 minutes at first, and then work up.
    When you feel like you can't do it (I'm talking about the mind taking over from the body - not talking about pushing yourself too hard), tell yourself that you can do anything. I use Phil 4:13 ;) Tell yourself that others have done it and they were in a worst position than you, so that you can do it too.Tell yourself that you have to get it right, so that you can help and inspire others.

Diet Tips:
    Try to find something that can become a lifestyle, as opposed to a fad diet. If you do do a "diet" , then understand how it works. View food not as an enemy, but as fuel for your body.The right stuff gives you energy, decreases risk of diseases etc. Don't try and force things when it comes to diet. Understand that it's a process and that you'll get there eventually.If you fall off the bandwagon one day, don't stress about it, because tomorrow is another day.
  • Mistyblu08
    Options
    Exercise tips:
    View it as a positive thing. Remind yourself of it's benefits.When you start to view it in a positive light, you start to crave it.
    Try and have a routine where you do it every day at a certain time.
    Set yourself a goal - even if it's do it for only 5 minutes at first, and then work up.
    When you feel like you can't do it (I'm talking about the mind taking over from the body - not talking about pushing yourself too hard), tell yourself that you can do anything. I use Phil 4:13 ;) Tell yourself that others have done it and they were in a worst position than you, so that you can do it too.Tell yourself that you have to get it right, so that you can help and inspire others.

Diet Tips:
    Try to find something that can become a lifestyle, as opposed to a fad diet. If you do do a "diet" , then understand how it works. View food not as an enemy, but as fuel for your body.The right stuff gives you energy, decreases risk of diseases etc. Don't try and force things when it comes to diet. Understand that it's a process and that you'll get there eventually.If you fall off the bandwagon one day, don't stress about it, because tomorrow is another day.

This is where I am at ....finally :) I started out with 10 min on elliptical -now up to 20 min and trying to work in other things to change it up so I dont get bored.. and I feel so good afterward and not nearly as tired as I did before I do it....the move it or lose it saying is real ..:) ..the food portion is not a fad but it is a diet due to my own health issues and trying to turn those around so I can feel good health wise and emotionally/physically healthy....my inspiration is all of you on here but would also like to be the inspiration to my family members who are over weight to morbid obese.....when I was younger and thinner I used to tell them how easy it was to lose weight and blah blah blah- ashamed of myself now :) and know from experience now that it is NOT that easy the older you get lol live and learn :) Also one thing I am beginning to understand and utilize in my life of getting healthier is that no one else is responsible for where I am at right except me....I cant blame my fiancee or anyone else for dragging me to the fast food places or buying beer....I dont need to have any of it if I dont want...just say NO!! My goals include being healthy, physically fit to enjoy the physical things I used to do so easily....biking, running, hunting-ie using a climbing stand for archery deer season ....and being able to keep up with my grand daughter when she gets to running around and getting into things lol
  • Mistyblu08
    Options
    Why I want to lose weight...

Well, like many of you, I want to look good. But, there is more. I carry most of my weight in my abdominal region. The more abdominal fat you have, the more at risk you are for diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, cancer, and stroke. So far, my mother has had 4 out of 5 of those diseases, and she and I are the same shape, size, and build. I don't want those diseases.

I also noticed that since my belly pokes out so much, I have a "sway" back, and I slump a lot. I want to strengthen my core and have good posture. Poor posture (such as rounded shoulders) leads to shoulder anomalies, and I have rotator cuff tendonitis in both of my shoulders as it is. I also have back pain, which I think would improve with less weight.

I also am a weakling. Poor stamina, poor upper and lower body strength. That needs to change.

In short, I want to be healthy and live a life that is full of vitality. How about you?

other than the family health risks- this is me too all the way!!! My mom does have hypertension and high cholesterol but its the family cancers that I worry about mostly ...long list and I dont want to be on it :) I love your goal!!!
  • emily_bird
    Options

Ditto !

The really great thing about life, is that you can always change your destiny. You can change habits and become fitter , stronger , faster and a nice form of meaner!

This is where I am at ....finally :) I started out with 10 min on elliptical -now up to 20 min and trying to work in other things to change it up so I dont get bored.. and I feel so good afterward and not nearly as tired as I did before I do it....the move it or lose it saying is real ..:) ..the food portion is not a fad but it is a diet due to my own health issues and trying to turn those around so I can feel good health wise and emotionally/physically healthy....my inspiration is all of you on here but would also like to be the inspiration to my family members who are over weight to morbid obese.....when I was younger and thinner I used to tell them how easy it was to lose weight and blah blah blah- ashamed of myself now :) and know from experience now that it is NOT that easy the older you get lol live and learn :) Also one thing I am beginning to understand and utilize in my life of getting healthier is that no one else is responsible for where I am at right except me....I cant blame my fiancee or anyone else for dragging me to the fast food places or buying beer....I dont need to have any of it if I dont want...just say NO!! My goals include being healthy, physically fit to enjoy the physical things I used to do so easily....biking, running, hunting-ie using a climbing stand for archery deer season ....and being able to keep up with my grand daughter when she gets to running around and getting into things lol

Well done on your elliptical improvement ! That's the way to do it.

Just a tip, but the higher you set the intensity on it, it means that you're building muscle. It's a great way to get firm. The easier the intensity setting and you'll be doing more intensive cardio and getting fitter. A good way to get fit is to mix up the intensity .

If you continue with your mindset, I fully believe that you'll be running around and teaching your granddaughter archery !

It's lovely to see two women who primarily want to get fit for their health and to inspire others, as opposed to just being a bikini babe! Good for the two of you .