Tell me your thoughts on Insanity please pros and cons

Options
samurphy23
samurphy23 Posts: 22 Member
I love doing video series, I can do that better than giving myself exercises to do, I push myself harder and tend to stick with it. I most recently finished Chalean Extreme/Turbo Fire hybrid and love the strength training that came from it.

I have been reading in this board for a few weeks now and am trying to decide if I can do Insanity and if I would enjoy it. Can you guys share with me your honest thoughts on this program both pros and cons please?

Thank you all so much and good luck on your continued journey to be healthy!

Replies

• sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I don't have any cons for Insanity. It's tough, fast pace and it will push you but only as long as you push yourself. I have to admit, I was one of those people who hated workout DVD's. I just never thought they would work but when I popped in Insanity for the first time, boy was that a wake up call.

If you have knee or wrist problems, then I would say this is not the workout for you. The great thing about Insanity is that you can go at your own pace and not feel bad about (at least I don't) as long as I'm pushing myself, I feel good. For me, if I don't reach a certain amount of calories burned then I get upset with myself because I know I could have pushed harder because I know I have pushed harder in the past. It's nice when working out when the people in the video are ready to pass out too! I'm still on the first month and I heard the second month is a lot tougher and I'm super excited about it!
  • emily_bird
    Options
    I've only ever done Asylum Vol 1, so I can't comment on the other videos.

PROS:
    1#All of the videos are a of a reasonable length (40ish min) and something that most people could fit into their lives.Sometimes, they're an hour long. I think that you could wiggle the hour long days around to suit your lifestyle if you had to.
    2#You don't HAVE to have equipment and all of the exercises work without using equipment.Considering there are 7 videos, that's not bad. The only video from Asylum that you "have " to have something, is Strength and then you can use a resistance band or dumbbells. I don't have dumbbells that are the weight I want, so I'm using 2 kg wrist/ankle band weights. In other words, as long as you have something to substitute 3# You can gain lean muscle using your own body's resistance and you can lose fat.
    4#You can modify the moves until you can do them.
    5# Shaun T is a motivational coach who isn't annoying or obnoxious. He seems to have the right balance of making your hold yourself accountable and to push ourself, without being an over the top fitness instructor who wants you to be manic .
    6# The people in the video are all pushing themselves, but they all have to sometimes take breaks throughout the video.This might sound strange, but when I see a really buff guy or fit woman also having to take a break, I know that I can get there too and it's not the end of the world to have a break.
    7# I've seen testimonials of other people who have improved their running times and other sports performance without having to do any extra training within that sport.
    8# You get fit quick.
    9#It's something that I think that you could do while traveling, because you just need the videos. Put them on a laptop or tablet and you're ready to go! The only one that I could see a problem with is Vertical Plyo, because jumping up and down in a hotel room isn't necessarily ideal regarding noise lol

Go here and look at the right hand side to compare programs :
    http://www.beachbody.com/

CONS:
    1#If you have knee and wrist problems, then this isn't the program for you.. You need to be able to get into push up, plank etc positions, so you can't really modify the wrists too much. There's a lot of jumping, which isn't good if you do have knee problems.
    As long as you can get your body into a plank, reverse plank position and be able to eventually move in that position, as well as jumping, then you can do the program.
    2# If you're VERY out of shape, then you need to be able to take it slow and understand your limits, while still having the discipline to continue.I don't think that you'll have that problem, though.
    3# You need enough space to do a plank, so depending on your house and the layout, you're going to have to modify.The more open space you have or area to move, the better.You don't need excessive space .
    4#You might lose in inches and not in weight at first. You need to give it a week or two before you start to see results. Patience is needed!

Not sure if this is a con or a pro (I suppose it depends on who you are), but it's really hard, so you have to choose to push yourself and go for it.

Good luck !
  • Staceyp76
    Staceyp76 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I can say that I love it and hate it at the same time. I love the results - lost inches but hate that they scale has now gone up. I know it is muscle but I still want to see the scale go down.

I am so addicted to regular insanity I just purchased Asylum Vol 1 and Vol 2 and will be doing those in the spring.

It is hard on the joints and you will be sore for the first two weeks of the first month but it will wear off. Not sure about month two as I haven't gotten there yet.

I have done tons of work out DVDS and so far this is my fav.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Not sure it has many cons.

I love the workouts, love what it's doing to my body (17 days in and I can SEE results). The workouts are challenging and fun and you sweat like a beast! I just love them (well, love to hate them). The instructor keeps you motivated through the workouts which is awesome as well.

By far one of my fave DVD workouts! and it works!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I've done quite a few workouts - Insanity, Jillian Michaels, Billy Blanks Tea Bo, and even tried P90X for the first time today. I have to say Insanity is my favorite so far. It pushes me the most and makes me sweat the most. When I first started my endurance was pretty pitiful. Now I can push harder and do more. My friends and I are going to start back again the 2nd week of January...I am so looking forward to getting to back the sweat!!
  • samurphy23
    samurphy23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone! I am excited about giving it a try! I love DVD workouts, they help me know what to do and keep me more honest about pushing myself then giving myself my own workout to do in the mornings.

Keep up the awesome work and I hope to be telling you all how much I love it too within the next few weeks!

I would love to start it before Christmas, that way I might be motivated not to overdo at the holidays!