numbers

Options
Im new and been reading alot about Keto Diet and Im still not sure how to figure out my carb/fat/protein allowances !?!?!? Any suggestions on how to go about figuring it out so I can be sure i'm on the right path to follow Keto...Ty in advance for any help...
BTW Im 35 yr old female 244 pounds 5 ft 11 inches

Replies

• Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    Im new and been reading alot about Keto Diet and Im still not sure how to figure out my carb/fat/protein allowances !?!?!? Any suggestions on how to go about figuring it out so I can be sure i'm on the right path to follow Keto...Ty in advance for any help...
    BTW Im 35 yr old female 244 pounds 5 ft 11 inches
    The general rules of thumb that a lot of people follow are:
    under 30 grams of net carbs (total carbs-fiber)
    60-65% calories from fat, 30-35% from protein and the rest from the carbs. Basically a keto menu is lots of meat, green veggies, butter, good oils (like olive or coconut). Try to let your carbs only come from veggies.
    Here's a great link on keto
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1

Feel free to add me if you want to look over a keto food diary.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    So more fat and less protein??? I been eating about 150-160 g protein and 50 grams of fat tops with Carbs at or below 30...

I would be happy to add you, thanks for taking the time to explain it to me, I always thought the more fats you eat the more fat your body had
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    A keto diet is crafted to get your body into ketosis where it swtiches from burning carbs for energy to burning fat for energy so a fat rich diet is basically just fuel. You can't just eat thousands of calories a day of it, still need a deficit to lose weight.
  • missmegan831
    Options
    Been low carb and calories 1340 per day and I wonder how you can tell if you are in that ketosis?? Ive read so much about it that Im so confused...
    Thanks for trying to help me understand
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Basically you want to go low carb, moderate protein and high fat. You can adjust the settings for your food diary by clicking on "goals" and then "change goals". I have mine set at 5% net carbs, 15% protein, 80% fat. I've been achieving about 5% net carbs, 20% protein and 75% fat.

You can know that you are in ketosis when you stop craving the carbs and you are physically satisfied between meals. If I can look a piece of cake in the face and easily say, "no thank you", I'm in Ketosis.

You are most likely in ketosis if you are under 30 g of carbs unless the high amount of protein you eat is being converted to glucose. That is why a higher fat diet is helpful.
  • missmegan831
    Options
    So my protein should be lower and increase fats to balance everything out?? Make sense when I look at it, i guess i was really thinking that fats would make me gain weight.. Thanks for all your help, I will tweek the numbers a bit and keep you posted on the results.. Thanks
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    So my protein should be lower and increase fats to balance everything out?? Make sense when I look at it, i guess i was really thinking that fats would make me gain weight.. Thanks for all your help, I will tweek the numbers a bit and keep you posted on the results.. Thanks

There's really interesting info in the link posted in the thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/808077-jimmy-moore-s-n-1-experiment
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    65% calories from fat, 30% from protein and 5% from carbohydrates.

Assuming 1600 calories a day, you want about a thousand (1600*0.65=1040) from fat. There's ~9 calories/gram of fat, that's about 115g of fat per day. Next, you'd want (1600*.030=) 420 calories from protein. Reports vary on exactly the amount of calories in protein and carbohydrates, but 4 cal/gram is generally accepted. (I've heard up to 4.5c/g). This means you'd want about 120g protein for every 115g fat. There's only 80 calories left, so that leaves 20g carbs per day. So to put it all together, that's 5 "servings" a day of 33g fat, 34g protein and up to 4g carbohydrates. You could eat something like 1 "serving" for breakfast, then 2 for lunch, 1 as a snack and 1 for a light dinner, or skip breakfast, use 2 for lunch and 3 for dinner. Or you can stick all the carb heavy stuff in the morning and keep protein and fat at dinner. And you don't need fatty meat per se, you can keep lean meat with a bunch of olive oil and butter.

Or, you can make it something approximate but easier, like 7g of fat and 7g of protein for every 1g of carbs you eat, just to make it easy to remember, if less precise.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Basically, have 1-1.5g of protein per pound of lean muscle you have using tools like this:
    http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi

and then eat that much protein and fill the rest of your calories with fat and less than 5% carbs. It usually turns out to be pretty close to even on fat/protein grams and almost always under 20g of carbohydrates.
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You can buy the ketostix's from the pharmacy and see what they show. I am usually around "moderate" when I am sticking to 30 carbs or less.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    This Keto Calculator was developed by someone on Reddit, and can help you identify the "right" levels of fat-protein-carbs.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Reddit has a great FAQ in Keto. It's good reading if you are starting out. It helps explain why you should have higher fat and moderate protein.
    http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/keto

I think 65-30-5 is a typical starting point for fat-protein-carbs. I have seen better results using higher fat %, and now use 75-20-5 for my targets. The iPhone and iPad apps for My Fitness Pal shows a great pie chart for your distribution of fat-protein-carbs for both the day and week, but I haven't found that pie chart on the website.

The movie Fathead helped me understand why I needed to have higher fat - it's tough wrapping your head around that when we've been told for so long that fat is evil. Lies! Eat as much fat as you can (I am currently sipping my Starbucks Cafe Misto, made with Heavy Cream).