New Here

Options
Annaduurai
Annaduurai Posts: 56 Member
I was suggested to this site by a friend and am currently trying to lose weight and feel/be healthy. I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago and have managed to keep my blood sugar under control with diet thus far. However, losing the major amount of weight I need to lose is daunting. Since my diagnosis I have lost 45lbs, I still have 99 to go. I don't want to be a size 5, I just would like to be healthy and like what I see when I look in the mirror.

My weight issues started with having kids then ramped up when I was in a major car accident. Last year the doctors after 7 surgeries gave me the ok to exercise. All the surgeries and recovery times kept me sedimentary and forever gaining. Now i am losing but at such a slow rate it gets frustrating. The exercise is slowly ramping up as my body gains strength, though I realize I need support to keep motivated.

I am engaged to be married and we are looking at spring of 2014. I would like to be able to look awesome in my dress!

Replies

• Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was suggested to this site by a friend and am currently trying to lose weight and feel/be healthy. I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago and have managed to keep my blood sugar under control with diet thus far. However, losing the major amount of weight I need to lose is daunting. Since my diagnosis I have lost 45lbs, I still have 99 to go. I don't want to be a size 5, I just would like to be healthy and like what I see when I look in the mirror.

My weight issues started with having kids then ramped up when I was in a major car accident. Last year the doctors after 7 surgeries gave me the ok to exercise. All the surgeries and recovery times kept me sedimentary and forever gaining. Now i am losing but at such a slow rate it gets frustrating. The exercise is slowly ramping up as my body gains strength, though I realize I need support to keep motivated.

I am engaged to be married and we are looking at spring of 2014. I would like to be able to look awesome in my dress!

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident! But, I am glad you are coming through well. Congratulations on the 45 lbs you have lost so far. I was diagnosed myself only a few months ago. You can add me if you like.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Anna and welcome to this group. You've done really well to achieve the weight loss which you have already achieved. Recovering from a major car accident to the extent that you are now cleared for exercise ,shows great determination which will stand you in good stead. It's important to realise that the MFP programme is much more about a change of lifestyle and is not a quick fix diet. The great news is that the MFP programme does work as can be testified by the large numbers of greatful users. Since MFP is based on a change of lifestyle, the results are gradual but they do last provided the principles are adhered to. You are in a great position in that your blood sugars appear to be under control. Using MFP will enable you to maintain this position. You also have time on your side. You can see that you have much to give thanks for and every reason to be positive. If you haven't yet been on a Diabetes education course you should follow this up as quickly as possible. Take every opportunity to inform yourself about Diabetes because information is power and will enable you to ask your medical advisers pertinent questions and enable you to evaluate the information you are given. Take your time to read around the boards in this and other diabetes support groups on MFP and get a feel for things. When you're ready to ask questions, you will find lots of genuine people on here who are only too willing to share their knowledge and experience. You have lots of positives going for you and I wish you well on your journey to an active a life. I'm certainly willing to help in any way I can.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! :flowerforyou:
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options

All I know is that enduring the accident and 7 surgeries (and thus 7 recoveries) automatically puts you on my "inspirational" list. I had 5 surgeries in 4 years a while back, and that was daunting. My hat is off to you, and I have every belief that you have all you need to face type 2. Keep letting us know how we can help!