Howdy....Newbie here!

Options
Hey yall. I'm new to the group. My name is Amanda, I'm a down to earth country girl. I love fishing...even got my own bass boat. However I was diagnosed Oct. 2011 as type 2 diabetic at the age of 22 years old. I can't believe it has already been over a year. I got married this past March 2012. The hubby and I really wanna start our family together but till I get my health under control there will be no trying for babies.

I'm an extreme picky eater which makes this thousands times harder to lose weight. I grew up on southern foods and well thats what I have come to love. However it is killing me. I know I gotta change my ways and I know it aint gonna be easy but it is I either do it or I die.

Really looking for supportive people that know where I come from! I have been trying to lose weight for over 3 years now.

Glad I found this group!

Replies

• Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! :flowerforyou:
  • wcucats77
    Options
    Welcome to teh group and good luck on this journey. Follow your Doctor's advice, eat right and keep exercising. This will help immensily. Have you set goals and objectives with a time line for yourself. If you have that's a big part of the battle. If not, I would suggest you honestly sit down and talk to this group about their success stories. many have had them and you will too. But almost all have a plan , that sets them on the path to meeting their goals and objectives.

Again good luck and write to teh group often.

WCUCATS77:glasses:
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Welcome Amanda.

I was diagnosed T2 in August 2011.
    I grew up on southern foods and well thats what I have come to love.
    I lived on a Southern diet for many years. My wife cooks up biscuits and gravy that's out of this world. Yum. Given our lifestyle change it's something that's rarely on the menu anymore. The good news is that we've learned that trying out new dishes can be fun and tasty. Despite all the rumors, healthy eating doesn't mean that meals aren't enjoyable. What worked for us was making small changes to the diet over time. Switching to whole grain rice (smaller portions), cutting way down on fried foods, switching to sweet potatoes and adding in more vegetables to our diet. This was done over a 6 - 8 month period. Now over a year later our entire diet has improved dramatically and our health is better than ever.

You can lose the weight. Set a reasonable goal and make a commitment to meet the goal.
  • Sachiel_777
    Sachiel_777 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    greetings - I've been type II for about 4 years now. To stay in charge of it, you really have to own it and keep daily track of it.

the phone app from this place is great for helping you keep track of what you are eating while you are eating it
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new diabetic 3 weeks. I went for my second meeting with my diabetic counsellor and she says i'm doing good. The weight is slow coming off but it's coming.

Amanda it is a life time change, I won't say it's easy because it's not. Are you on insulin or pills. I'm on 2 metformin a day. So they got me in the early stages. Probably with all the dieting i've done over the years more than likely kept it hidden.

Now with Christmas upon us we must behave and behave we will.

Take care and good luck.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I am sure that you will find, as I have, a lot of really good people who are in the same/similar boat in which you currently find yourself. You will find many success stories within this group, and much support as you face your journey with our shared disease.

Being one who also resides in the South, I can fully appreciate the difficulty in adjusting to life without many of the comfort foods we have grown to love so much over the years. While it is not easy, especially at first, it is not impossible, either. The decision I found myself faced with is the same one all diabetics are faced with: which do I want more? Do I want to continue to enjoy a lifestyle that has helped deliver me to a diabetes diagnosis, or do I want to enjoy a longer, healthier life with my loved ones and keep the complications from this disease away as long as possible? Looking at it in those terms made it an easy decision for me.

The best advice I can give you is to concentrate on getting and keeping your blood glucose levels to an acceptable range above all else. Test to figure how how everything you consume and everything you do affects your blood glucose. Yes, most diabetics need to lose weight, and in the long-run it makes managing this disease much easier, but the most important thing is your blood glucose levels. Adopt a lifestyle that will get and keep those levels in check and the weight loss will follow more often than not.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey and look forward to seeing you around the forum - it truly is a great source of advice, support, and inspiration.