Trying to decide what to do after reset

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm not super far into my reset but this group isn't terribly active either, so I thought I'd ask early. I'm not doing strength during my reset (I know). I would love to, but I'm really stressed out about finals and I've never done any lifting before, and I didn't think this was a great time to try to learn that. I'm currently eating my TDEE which is based on a lightly active lifestyle (I run a couple of miles every other day and walk to and from school). I really enjoy running and won't give it up even if I start lifting. However, because of that and because I'm not doing the traditional reset+strength, I was hoping for some advice on where to go post reset. My options:

1. Eat my TDEE -15, lose the 3-4 lbs I started eating TDEE to lose (break through the plateau). Then, go back up to my TDEE and start lifting. Presumably though I would need to base my TDEE on moderately active because I would be running every other day and lifting on most off days. That would be a pretty substantial calorie increase from TDEE -15, not sure how my body would react?

2. Increase my TDEE to moderately active and then start lifting with no cut period beforehand. Maybe put on a pound or two at first, hopefully tone. I would probably want to cut after that?d

Anyway, I know this is confusing, but if any of you are bored I would love some advice! A lot of responses to these threads ask for fitness goals, so in case you need that: I'm not super worried about lifting itself, but I'm 112 (5'3) and I think that continuing to lose weight would just leave me skinny fat, so I'd like to start lifting and avoid that. I would much prefer to do something that didn't involve weights at the gym since I don't know what I'm doing, but I've accepted that I'll have to figure it out. However, I also want to keep running and keep improving at running, and I'm not interested in "cardio is a waste, do HIIT or weights or you're an idiot." I run as a hobby, not as a weight-loss thing.

Thanks!!

Replies

• amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Well, not that we have the same body type or anything but when I was hovering around 112 (I'm 5'3" too) and started lifting with a trainer four years ago solely with the intent to get some good-looking arms and be able to do at least one pull-up -- not at all to lose weight, I was SHOCKED at how quickly -- I'm talking within six months of only two hours a week of lifting -- my body reshaped. Then, I knew nothing of TDEE, ate whatever I wanted plus some and still lost three pounds and 3% bodyfat in six months! I did hardly any cardio then because I just didn't have time. I was 43 years old when I did this so I imagine at your much younger age you'd have even better results!

So I'd highly recommend the lifting after your reset and if you DO decide to do a cut make it a tiny one -- 5% max. You really don't need more than that to get the body you want. And I think it's excellent that you enjoy running as a hobby and not as a weight-loss torture device, which so many people use it for. Running should be fun if you're going to do it. That's why I spin - it's fun - and I get irritated by some instructors who insist on telling us how many calories we've burned per session as if that's the only reason we're there.

You're solidly on the right track just by being here!
  • cstexas2012
    cstexas2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'll start with the lifting then, really appreciate your success story :)