I am SO tired

Hello everyone, newbie here. My name is Sharon and am peri-menopausal with PCOS on the side. After managing to get to 46 and averaging 3 or 4 periods a year, Mother Nature decided to even things up. It started with an 8 week period that was only halted with progesterone. Urgh, taking that felt like morning sickness all over again. I now seem to be on for 3 - 5 day, then off for about 3 days before i get the dreaded 'ovulation pain', followed by a week of feeling bloated and having sporadic pains before coming back on again. Mefenamic acid helps with the pain but nothing is helping the total and utter exhaustion I am feeling all of the time, which varies in a cycle to match my periods. It is totally taking over my life. I keep being late into work, I can't concentrate and make basic errors, (I write SQL code for a living so concentration is particularly important), and despite my best efforts I am often short tempered. I have visited my GP several times and had various blood tests. His conclusion was 'well we've tested you for everything, there's nothing wrong with you. Perhaps you're just a heavy sleeper'. I nearly burst into tears there and then. I tried stressing to him again that the fatigue is taking over my life to the point where my job, and therefore my and my son's home was in jeopardy, but he just shrugged. Last Thursday I even fell asleep at my desk, mid-coding.

Has anyone else had similar symptoms please? If so, has anything helped for you?

Replies

• Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    I feel bad for you.time for a new doctor?
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    I agree with this ^^ Sounds like a new doctor is in order to me...
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Having a period that often is draining your body. I've heard it said, that when it's that time of the month, you're losing your life. So it makes sense that you should be exhausted all the time.

I definately second the opinion of finding a new Doc. There has to be something else that can help you. The world of medicine has come too far to let you keep suffering & jeopardize your job like this!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Find a new doctor, preferably a woman, with experience in this field.

I haven't had those same issues with flow, but my hormones are definitely messing up my sleep patterns and concentration and stress levels. I'm also a detail oriented person and find myself making errors, and my previously very good memory is spotty. Some days I can't even think of the proper word I want. It is very frustrating.

That said, this is one of the best websites I have read on the subject of peri-menopause/menopause. The place is in Canada, I don't know if you can find any references on where you might find resources in your area.
    http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/alltopics
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Did he test for anemia? All that constant blood loss could be causing you to be slightly anemic. My doc did a test for the 'Total blood count', this test gives the levels of your red and white blood cells. I was put on B12 injections and iron tablets as mine were pretty low.
    Might be worth asking. He does sound as tho he is just not interested, is there not another doctor you could see in the same surgery?
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 839 Member
    I agree with many of the previous posts - find a new doctor. Also, in my 40's, my periods took over my life - sporadic, but when I had them, they were terrible. I was also tired ALL the time! I had uterine fibroids, which I had removed and then they came back. The second time, I had an ablation procedure - a same day procedure where they actually burn off the lining of the uterus. BEST THING I EVER DID! I got my life back.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Have you had your calcium levels, potassium, parathyroid (PTH) and Vitamin D levels checked? High levels of PTH and calcium, and low levels of potassium and vitamin D could explain it. I have primary hyperparathyroidism, and the higher levels of calcium and PTH cause fatigue.
  • tashiaberman
    tashiaberman Posts: 48 Member
    I went to a Osteopath, who specialized in bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy, She ran a battery of tests and was able to tell me I had too much estrogen, in relation to progesterone. I was anemic and needed iron supplements. My vitamin D levels were too low, putting me at risk for breast cancer. My thyroid levels were a little wierd and I haven't had that addressed as yet. With the progesterone creme (which I found I could get at the local health food store 20mg/dose), the vitamin D and Iron, I was releived of so many symptoms.

Before doing this I was having VERY heavy periods, now they have stopped all together (menopause), was not able to sleep through the night, had night sweats and day sweats (hot flashes), was exhausted all the time, felt like every joint in my body was sore and tired and inflamed -- all from this out of whack hormonal and vitamin deficiencies. Now I have no more periods -- fine with me. I can sleep through the night with only an occasional, mild, transient hot flash, same for days. I feel rested and have the energy to get through the day. My joints and muscles do not feel like I'm getting MS or something. And best of all, my husband isn't afraid of me anymore. :)

Go do it. It will turn your life around. Google "bioidentical hormone replacement" and find someone close to you. I used "body logic" who are nationwide, but there are other private practitioners who would work just as well. Also, I recommend you read some of Suzanne Somers books. She does a great job of explaining how all this ties in to how you feel and the weight gain.
  • With such a heavy period you should look in the Procedure called NovaSure, ask you doctor to refer you to a gynologist. Best thing that ever happened to me. With so much blood lose you will feel tired all the time.
  • Thank you so much for the website information. I, too, have struggled with all of these things. It is highly discouraging. But, we cannot forget how much fun life is and begin to find ways to renew our energy and live it to the fullest. The best thing for me has been eating clean. No processed foods. Joined Daily Burn and exercise every day. Losing inches. Today I pan to swim. :flowerforyou: Good luck to all. We are all in this together.
  • stl_nana
    stl_nana Posts: 99 Member
    With such a heavy period you should look in the Procedure called NovaSure, ask you doctor to refer you to a gynologist. Best thing that ever happened to me. With so much blood lose you will feel tired all the time.

I too have had this procedure with awesome results. I suffered terribly from very heavy, long, periods accompanied by unrelenting fatigue. Get to your gyno & look into it. You just may be very happy that you did.

Good luck!!
  • Skudsister
    Skudsister Posts: 26 Member
    I too was suffering with very heavy periods, although in my case I had fibroids, and when I finally got the doctor to check my iron levels I was so anaemic that I was sent straight to hospital for a transfusion. So if your doctor has not specifically ruled this out ask that he checks your iron. (Odd, I think we are all assuming this doctor is a man...) I was then prescribed Mefanamic acid and tranexamic acid which did help.

Problem is all over now as the pos-operative treatment I am having after breast cancer has switched my periods off completely (and menopausal symptoms on, oh joy!). But obviously thats not a recommendation :noway:

I would also suggest changing doctors. It is an easy process here in the UK - I assume it would be the same wherever you are?

Jane