Trying this again

Options
Hi everyone! I used to be in this group a while back under a different screen name. I'd like to start getting a bit more involved on MFP again. I got a little bit burnt out on the calorie tracking to the point where it caused me a lot of anxiety. That led to (you guessed it) bingeing. Add that to my extremely busy life and it was a recipe for disaster.

I've been taking a slow and steady approach. In August, I began by recording my food in a journal every day, along with my feelings after I eat. (which I still do; it's helped tremendously). Just this week, I started using MFP to track the calories. I'm happy to say that since September, with a few small hiccups, I've been able to stick to a solid three meals a day with little to no snacking in between. I've been following the steps in a book called "Potatoes Not Prozac," which gave me a whole new approach to food and eating. (Currently on step 3 of 7)!

All the advice I got from news articles, Weight Watchers, etc. always said to "eat healthy snacks or small meals" throughout the day. That backfired tremendously for me!!! When you CANNOT stop, snacking is probably the worst possible idea! Starting and stopping at each meal has been a huge step for me to practice.

I've decided to step away from the main boards this time and come back to a place where people understand. Please feel free to add me, I really need some support!

Replies

• Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You've already made the first step in recognizing that you need a little extra help. I've been a major binger eater but have recently found myself bingeing less and less often..I'm currently on a 10 day streak with is HUGE for me. I, too, this journaling is a huge help and often journal in the notes section of my food entry. And I agree with the snacking! I stick to three meals and then one snack in the afternoon...and an emergency snack to have after dinner if I need it. This group has been extremely helpful, I'm sure you'll find it as a fantastic resource, too! :smile: