The stick?

Options
closenre
closenre Posts: 225 Member
Curious if anyone has or currently uses "the stick". I am looking at the marathon (flexible) stick but feel like I would rather have the sprinter (stiff) stick. I run long distance (obviously) and am currently training for my second full marathon (march 17th). Let me know. thanks!

(sorry if this is a double post, did not show up the first time)

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I have one, but really a use it pretty rarely. I have a foam roll and am a big fan of that. I bring the stick when I travel but end up not using it. Not that I do not like it, just don't really use it
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    never really looked into the foam roller, what does it do?
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Usually I roll my piriformis first (sit on foam roll and then put one foot on my knee so I only roll one "cheek" at a time), then I will roll my hammies, followed by calves and then my IT bands. I will usually roll my back a bit too lower to upper

When I first started using the foam roll several years ago it hurt like the ****ens to roll my piriformis and IT bands, and that was on a 'soft" roll. Now I use a harder one and no pain at all
  • pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Foam rollers rule!!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I use both the stick and foam roller. I have a travel sized stick which I take with me that is just wonderful on the calves, and quads.

After a long run, My recovery routine usually sees me do the stick first, do some light stretching and then use a foam roller.

I am still recovering\retraining after a pretty significant ankle injury that laid me up for 4 months after my last full marathon back in May. I'm finally back to doing 10 mile runs... Both the stick and the foam roller have been keys in my rehab process.

Considering their relatively low price, I'd get both.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hmm, i was actually thinking a naughty thought there....
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have both the foam roller and the Stick. BEST purchase ever! I've used the heck out of my foam roller when I was recovering from an IT Band injury. I just recently purchased the "sprint" stick and it's awesome because it's portable and I can massage away wherever I go. (I bring it to work and massage while sitting in my cubicle.) The stick is best for hard to reach areas like the calves or your upper body, and it's easier to spot massage. The foam roller covers a wider base and you have to be on the ground and apply your body weight to be able to get results.

I say get them both!! Both have more than paid for themselves for me.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I just went to a yoga conference this weekend and attended a conference on myofascial release. The instructor used a tennis ball, a foam roller and a stick. I have had hamstring pain for months but left the session with no pain. The best feeling ever! I went home and ordered the stick right away (I already have the ball and roller). Can't wait for it to get here.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from ITBS and am loving my stick. I also have a foam roller but I find myself using the stick more just b/c it takes up less room in my room to use. As others have said, both are inexpensive, so get one, the other, or both!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    When I first started using the foam roll several years ago it hurt like the ****ens to roll my piriformis and IT bands, and that was on a 'soft" roll. Now I use a harder one and no pain at all

Good to know! I hate rolling now and rarely do it even though I know it is supposed to be an amazing recoevery aid. Guess I just have to stick with it.