First Meeting Last Night

Options
wizbeth1218
wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
It was dark, and cold, and raining. I was in a rather sketchy part of town, outside a tiny outbuilding at the back of a gravel parking lot, and from what I could see through the window, I was late.

I didn't realize I had read the online information incorrectly; the *Monday* meeting starts at 7pm, and the *Thursday* meeting starts at 6:30pm. It was just before 7pm. On Thursday. Oops.

But I sucked it up and went in anyway.

As soon as I opened the door I noticed that someone in the group stood up quickly and left the room. At first I thought I must smell really bad if I was driving people out before I even crossed the threshold. But then I realized that the member had gone to get me a chair since all the other chairs were taken. Without a pause in the flow of the meeting, space was made for my chair. And for me.

That little snapshot of my first experience at my first meeting really encapsulates the feel of the meeting as a whole. It was second-nature to these members to welcome a newcomer. Even a soaking wet, half-hour late newcomer.

After the meeting I was greeted, hugged, and welcomed some more. Someone asked for my phone number and offered theirs in return. Before I even got home last night, my phone rang and I'd been invited to a get-to-know-you outing.

With just 30 minutes of a meeting under my belt, I still don't really know much. But I do know that I've never encountered a more welcoming group of strangers... scratch that: *friends*.

Replies