Starting out - Chest pain?

Options
kr1stadee
kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
I've been having heart palpitations and pressure in my chest each time I've run in the past week. I'm doing the program on the treadmill. My walk is at 3.0, and my jog is at 5.0.. (incline of just 1, if it matters)

I'm not sure what's going on, and it's pretty freaky. I've been dizzy and cold a lot lately too. I went to see my doctor and he ordered full blood work and everything came back perfect.

I'm going for an ECG tomorrow morning, and he referred me to a cardiologist, just in case..

But I'm going to ask some experienced runners - did you experience any funkiness in your chest when you started out? Could I just not be used to running?

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I've been having heart palpitations and pressure in my chest each time I've run in the past week. I'm doing the program on the treadmill. My walk is at 3.0, and my jog is at 5.0.. (incline of just 1, if it matters)

I'm not sure what's going on, and it's pretty freaky. I've been dizzy and cold a lot lately too. I went to see my doctor and he ordered full blood work and everything came back perfect.

I'm going for an ECG tomorrow morning, and he referred me to a cardiologist, just in case..

But I'm going to ask some experienced runners - did you experience any funkiness in your chest when you started out? Could I just not be used to running?

If you aren't eating enough or eating enough foods containing potassium, you may have a deficit of potassium which is a leading cause of palpitations. I experienced two days of constant palpitations about a month ago and got an EKG from my doctor. Nothing was conclusive so I added potassium containing foods such as bananas, oranges, orange juice and potatoes to my diet. It cleared up in a couple of days. The chest pain you're experiencing is concerning and you should continue to follow up with your doctor and cardiologist as they are the only people who can help you get to the bottom of this. Good luck.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Listen to the pain. You need a cardiologist right now. I have a flakey heart -- runs too fast at times -- and I had to use my HRM to keep my HR down below 140 for about 2 years until I built up the heart muscle.

Work with your cardiologist. Keep things slow. You will eventually strengthen your heart for more vigorous exercise.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

If you aren't eating enough or eating enough foods containing potassium, you may have a deficit of potassium which is a leading cause of palpitations. I experienced two days of constant palpitations about a month ago and got an EKG from my doctor. Nothing was conclusive so I added potassium containing foods such as bananas, oranges, orange juice and potatoes to my diet. It cleared up in a couple of days. The chest pain you're experiencing is concerning and you should continue to follow up with your doctor and cardiologist as they are the only people who can help you get to the bottom of this. Good luck.

I had no idea that potassium could help! Thanks, I will up my intake and see what happens!!

Listen to the pain. You need a cardiologist right now. I have a flakey heart -- runs too fast at times -- and I had to use my HRM to keep my HR down below 140 for about 2 years until I built up the heart muscle.

Work with your cardiologist. Keep things slow. You will eventually strengthen your heart for more vigorous exercise.

Thanks, my doctor sent off a referral on Friday, who knows when I'll get in - the "fun" part of free health care is the sick waiting time!!