The Stigma Of The Never-Married Man

Options
DMZ_1
DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
Found this article on Details (http://www.details.com/sex-relationships/marriage-and-kids/200808/stigma-of-the-never-married-man?currentPage=1). Since 2008 is in the URL, I think it was written in 2008.

It is a good article. Please read it. However, if you don't heed the previous sentence, I will summarize what I perceive as important from it.

Some of the key points are....

1. Old social perceptions do not easily shift. Even though the man over 35 and man over 40 who has never married is a much more common sight, they are still subject to social perceptions from previous eras.
2. Men over 35 (and especially men over 40) are social pariahs if they've never married and have no kids
3. Single women perceive never married men over 35 as undesirable. It is better to be a divorcee than a never married in the eyes of the single female.

What are some of your thoughts on the article?

The points of this article bring to light the idea for me that even men face the pressures the time, just as women do. A man who stays single too long sees his options drop.

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Being a single 35 never married, never engaged female. I still prefer a guy that has never been married no matter the age.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm currently dating a divorcee, I'd usually prefer a never married, no kids gentleman. I'm 34, and the same stats and I feel it's just easier to not have that baggage on one side. My current beau was married for 8 years, no kids and currently his ex lives in a different state so no drama, no baggage. But if they had had kids I think my opinon on dating him would have changed.

There's stigma with women that are in their 30's and never married/no kids too. Guys thing there is something wrong with you if you didn't want to settle down early and have kids, even if they didn't. They figure no one wanted you, which isn't the case. I feel most women and men that didn't marry and have kids early (20's, early 30's) didn't because they didn't find someone worth settling down with. Not because they are "damaged".
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I'm sure from older generations there is much more stigma. But by the time I'm that age it won't be so odd.

The questions I would have:
    - is he afraid of commitment
    - what have the quality of his previous relationships been?

That's more important that being married vs not
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    There's stigma with women that are in their 30's and never married/no kids too. Guys thing there is something wrong with you if you didn't want to settle down early and have kids, even if they didn't. They figure no one wanted you, which isn't the case. I feel most women and men that didn't marry and have kids early (20's, early 30's) didn't because they didn't find someone worth settling down with. Not because they are "damaged".

I agree with you. A lot of men think that once a woman reaches 30 and she's single for any reason, she is damaged goods.

I think that men get a little bit more leeway on the social expectations, but there's still a belief that if a man is available after a certain point, he is damaged goods.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I fall into that category for reasons I have explained.

There is a lot of truth to what is written and a past discussion here showed that many ladies do share in the perception that a man is somewhat damaged goods.
    However as I have sensed in many areas what people thought months ago has modified itself a bit.
    So may be the case here.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Some people are just not the marrying kind. Myself included. I dont stereotype people because of their marital status at whatever age. The thought has never crossed my mind. I'd actually say that most of my friends (in their 40s) are cohabitating, but never been, nor want to be, married.

However, if you ARE the marrying kind I can see why this might bother you, cos obviously that person may not be compatible with you (if he doesn't want marriage and you do) or that person has never met someone they want to marry (so that may bring on pangs on insecurity that you also may not be 'good enough'). And I guess that MOST people have a desire to marry. I'd say that would be the main reason there is a social discrepancy.

Personally, most of the guys I've had long term relationships with are not the marrying kind either. Perhaps it's a like for like scenario. Hmmmm!! Not really thought about this before............but I'm very much in love with a confirmed bachelor, mostly because we are sooooo compatible in soooooo many ways! :heart:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    "These guys get labeled playboy, loser, commitment-phobe,"
    oh and also "gay & creeper"
    SWEET! Only 3 more years! I'm soooo looking forward to this. :tongue:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options

I agree with you. A lot of men think that once a woman reaches 30 and she's single for any reason, she is damaged goods.

I think that men get a little bit more leeway on the social expectations, but there's still an expectations that if a man is available after a certain point, he is damaged goods.

The silly thing is there are all these people that want to be in a relationship but everyone's too busy making assumptions to actually try to date someone!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the article, but I don't agree with any of the points summarized. Isn't 40 the new 20 after all?
    I would like to address the never-married 30-40 something women issue though. I was in a long-term relationship with someone I thought I would marry (eventually). It didn't turn out that way (and there are too many specifics in my personal story too share here). But the more I look around I find that many women in the same situation I am are so because one or more men led them on through their 20s and early 30s (circumstances vary of course). I'm not trying to blame men here, but I have found this very basic storyline to be extremely common so there must be something to it.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Didn't read it..
    But I think there is a stigma against both sexes if the person hasn't been in a relationship for over a year.
    And sometimes its right to have that "stigma" but other times there are extenuating circumstances.
    For me Well I was over 300lbs in my prime relationship years 20's and early 30's...I didn't want the guys who would "show interest" since all they wanted was an easy lay anyway. And now that I'm in better shape..who knows but I know that my lack of relationship experience is an issue for some..they think there is something wrong with me....well there was..but not so much any more lol
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    The silly thing is there are all these people that want to be in a relationship but everyone's too busy making assumptions to actually try to date someone!

Great observation Christine! :flowerforyou:

I've read so many reasons in this forum why people DON'T give someone a chance based on nothing but assumption!

There are a million reasons why someone poofs and probably a lot of it is while you are busy making assumptions about them, they are busy making assumptions about you!!! :noway:

Both genders are guilty of this.......
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm currently dating a divorcee, I'd usually prefer a never married, no kids gentleman. I'm 34, and the same stats and I feel it's just easier to not have that baggage on one side. My current beau was married for 8 years, no kids and currently his ex lives in a different state so no drama, no baggage. But if they had had kids I think my opinon on dating him would have changed.

THISSSSSS. Somewhat off topic, but I used to not care if a guy I was dating/interested in had kids. After dating a few that have kids and dealing with the "I can't hang out because I have my kids and I don't think you should meet them yet" issue (::cough cough:: excuse ::cough cough::) I now PREFER childless men, but won't count someone out completely. Guys probably view single women with kids the same way. Sometimes I find myself thinking "Wow, never married, no kids, 30 or older? Must be something wrong with them" but then I catch myself because I'm in the same boat!
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I feel there is an enormous stigma against men over the age of 40 and have never been married.

All of my older female friends have repeated said they don't want to get involved with a man who's over 40 and have never been married. They most likely think he's just a player looking for some action as opposed to something serious. Even though there are plenty of reasons why a man is 40 and never married, the stigma still exists. That's life, deal with it :glasses:

For females is starts much earlier. I think there's a stigma against women who are 35 and have never been married. I've heard these women being referred to as damage good or "dented cans". Some of this is regional too. In the northeast, it's somewhat acceptable. Everywhere else in the country, it's much less acceptable.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the article. I find that my most relevant and informed replies come from complete ignorance - like watching television while talking to girls on the phone and every 5 minutes just repeating the last sentence from the characters on screen.

I am 32 and unmarried with no children. I would bet good money that the same will apply when I am 35. I am horrified by the article and its author's statements that I will own jet skis, motorcycles, and leave on many impromptu vacations without burying myself in debt. I also take offense in his insinuation that I might offer my full attention to my partner without taking breaks to clean puke off of my shirt or apologize to everyone around me for a screaming baby.

What a jerk.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

Make that into a shirt and sell it because that is a message that needs to get out.

I don't really care supermuch about age. I tend to shy away from younger guys, and sometimes guys my age but it's more because of their lifestyle. Still in school, still living at home, no steady job, etc. I've never considered 35+ year old never married guys damaged goods, if anything that's just about exactly what I want in a relationship. In fact, I have a massive crush on a guy at work that's almost 40.
    like watching television while talking to girls on the phone and every 5 minutes just repeating the last sentence from the characters on screen.

LOL! I am guilty of not reading the article. I am just responding to the point that DM referenced since it seemed he was most concerned about that. When I have more time I'll read it though :P
  • lacroyx
    Options
    I also take offense in his insinuation that I might offer my full attention to my partner without taking breaks to clean puke off of my shirt or apologize to everyone around me for a screaming baby.

What a jerk.
    The author of the article is female.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I also take offense in his insinuation that I might offer my full attention to my partner without taking breaks to clean puke off of my shirt or apologize to everyone around me for a screaming baby.

What a jerk.

Not in my fully informed delusion of not reading the article. Please do not crush my reality.
  • lacroyx
    Options

What a jerk.

Not in my fully informed delusion of not reading the article. Please do not crush my reality.
    :laugh:
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm sure from older generations there is much more stigma. But by the time I'm that age it won't be so odd.

As a general rule I don't date never married men. I have two kids and I feel like the unmarried men I have dated, just don't understand the time and commitment involved in dating a single mom. Also, I wonder id he is afraid of commitment because I don't want to date someone who doesn't see themselves ever committing.
  • DMZ_1
    Options

As a general rule I don't date never married men. I have two kids and I feel like the unmarried men I have dated, just don't understand the time and commitment involved in dating a single mom. Also, I wonder id he is afraid of commitment because I don't want to date someone who doesn't see themselves ever committing.

Never married men with no children are often a terrible fit for women with kids. The lifestyles are just way too different. Many times, never married men with no children enjoy many aspects of single life. However, I believe that there would be a desire amongst many members of this type of male to have a permanent, stable companion.