Quick questions about weights

Since we are currently living in Germany I have to order my weights offline.
Anyone have any suggestions?

I found a set of 40-lb. Cement Weights for 20.00 do you think that for first starting out 40lbs would be enough?? I can always order more later on right?

Replies

• briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Honestly it really depends on your personal abilities, but just a guess I would say no, 40 lbs is not enough. I went from deadlifting 30 to 60 lbs in the span of a month. If you're lifting heavy 40 lbs is probably not going to do a whole lot for very long. Also, different exercises allow for different weights. For example, my legs are a lot stronger than my arms so 40 lbs with anything on my legs really doesn't pose a challenge. But again, it depends on your personal abilities.
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member

I found a set of 40-lb. Cement Weights for 20.00 do you think that for first starting out 40lbs would be enough?? I can always order more later on right?

Where are you in Germany? I'm living in Sennelager, Paderborn Germany but I go to a gym so haven't had to order any weights. Much easier to use weights in a gym if you can as you do need quite a lot of different weights - or at least I have had to.
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member

Where are you in Germany? I'm living in Sennelager, Paderborn Germany but I go to a gym so haven't had to order any weights. Much easier to use weights in a gym if you can as you do need quite a lot of different weights - or at least I have had to.

I'm in Vilseck! I've tried going to the gym but my husbands hours aren't very consistent. He's been getting home anywhere from 6 to 8 at night, and leaves at about 4 am. Currently trying to find someone to watch my youngest that he and I can trust (He has HUGE seperation anxiety) so it's been slow goings. Thats why I've been wanting to buy weights so that when my husbands not home till late and has our car I know I can do it at home!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    I'd get a set of adjustable dumbbells. 40 lb. won't be enough on big lifts like squats & deadlifts, but it will be WAY too much on things like Cuban snatches.
  • lovelyladyJ21
    These ones are adjustable thats why I thought for the first month I could do the 40lbs and then buy more to add on! See here at the PX I'm paying anywhere from 5 to 15 dollars more than what I can order online and that's including shipping.
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    What about a german gym? The one I went to in Celle had a creche. It was great often I would go just to have a cup of tea and a sauna - was worth every bit of gym membership to have that time out once in a while!
  • lovelyladyJ21
    What about a german gym? The one I went to in Celle had a creche. It was great often I would go just to have a cup of tea and a sauna - was worth every bit of gym membership to have that time out once in a while!

I'll look into it! There is one a few miles from my house.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    These ones are adjustable thats why I thought for the first month I could do the 40lbs and then buy more to add on! See here at the PX I'm paying anywhere from 5 to 15 dollars more than what I can order online and that's including shipping.

Ah, I didn't realize they were adjustable. If it's up to 40 lb./hand, I think you're probably good for awhile until you need more for the "big" lifts.