Phase 2: WTF?

Options
glwerth
glwerth Posts: 335 Member
OK, so today, husband came with me to go over the phase 2 exercises. He looks at the book and ensures that my form is what it is supposed to be, once I've done each movement several times, I can rely on muscle memory.

That isn't the point of this post.

What is is that I don't know if I can do phase 2 at all. Period.

First off, it seems be based on the one movement that I hate and that hurts every time....lunges.

Second, really? Standing on one foot while lifting? I could do one before falling on my face.

I just need someone to tell me that after the first time or two it gets easier, that I'm not likely to be face planted into the floor each and every time.

Also, anyone have any advice on how to get all the way to the floor on lunges without your knees feeling like they're going to break?

I'm very frustrated this morning. Phase 1 was challenging, but I could DO the movements. On this phase, I don't know that I can even do some of this stuff. I'm wondering how good of a workout I can get with half my time spent trying to get into position and regaining balance every time I move.

So, encouragement or tell me to give up....one or the other...please!

Replies

• gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    listen sister...let's get through it together! How about that? I am not really loving stage two either BUT it is shorter than one so that is one plus. and two I could feel it, DOM's, which was nice to know I was working things I had not previously been working.

keep chugging along...I'll be chugging right long side. it has to get at least a little better right?!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! If you need to go lighter on some weights, then build back up, then do it.

The 1-point rows and bulgarian split squats definitely introduce the element of balance, but as you get better at them, your balance WILL improve.

I struggled to finish all the reps without putting my back foot down on the rows for a long time, but could finally do it. And for the split squats, sometimes taking my shoes off helped, and I always did them on a bench-press bench (with just 1 dumbbell), where I could just put my hand on the bar if I needed to balance myself.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Start somewhere-where you feel comfortable and build up. I don't even remember what was in Stage 2, but you can do it! On the lunges start with your feet wider and then go down as low as you can-build up from there.1-point row-start with lighter weight. You can do it! Don't give up!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it and you will get there. I felt the same way about Stage 2 at first, then when I finally started liking it, it was over. I'm now in Stage 4, which is just a repeat of Stage 2 and guess what? I can do the moves SO MUCH better. It's kind of amazing actually. So just trust the program and don't give up!

PS-- I hate lunges too, but at least the ones in Stage 2 are static. In stage 3, there is an awful exercise called lunge jumps. Don't even ask! :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I know many girls that started Strong lifts 5x5 for the exact same reason.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It helps to find a focal point when you need to balance. So find one point that doesn't move/change and don't take your eyes off of it. It can be a rip in the carpet, the edge of a bench, a plate on the ground... anything to focus on and do not take your eyes off it. I learned this a long time ago taking yoga that balance is about focus. Which is why its harder to balance with our eyes closed. So quiet your mind and focus on one unmovable object. Start with light weights and slowly do the moves. If you lose your concentration or balance then set up again and find your focal point. It will get easier. Unless you have a inner ear problem or some other reason your losing your balance its simply about focusing and ensuring that your weight is shifted appropriately (for example, not leaning on the toes too far forward, or too far back on the heels. Hang in there, stick with it, it will pay off if you do!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I promise you that it will get easier. I think the whole point of this stage is to improve your balance. Keep working on it and if you can't keep your balance to get through all of the reps, keep trying until you get them all in. After the first workout, I actually did one with much lighter weights to work on the balance and then went back to the heavier weights the next workout. Worked well for me!

You can do this!
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Agree with what everyone said, lower your weights, that helps with balance. I could do 1-2 dumbbells rows before toppling sideways, now I can do almost 10, I'm getting ready to do the last workout. This stage does go by quick too.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Agree with what everyone said, lower your weights, that helps with balance. I could do 1-2 dumbbells rows before toppling sideways, now I can do almost 10, I'm getting ready to do the last workout. This stage does go by quick too.

Totally agree with this. And rest one foot on a step for a few reps if you have to. I definitely got better as the stage progressed, but I didn't see the kind of progress I did with stage 1...on to stage 3 for me on Wednesday. BTW, stage 2 did go by fast. I totally ditched the lateral flexion or whatever it was called...found it too awkward...
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.....I'm going to go for it. Tomorrow will be 1A for phase 2.

And LOL about the one of you who mentioned stronglifts....I was looking at that yesterday afternoon and thinking about it!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    It helps to find a focal point when you need to balance. So find one point that doesn't move/change and don't take your eyes off of it. It can be a rip in the carpet, the edge of a bench, a plate on the ground... anything to focus on and do not take your eyes off it. I learned this a long time ago taking yoga that balance is about focus. Which is why its harder to balance with our eyes closed. So quiet your mind and focus on one unmovable object. Start with light weights and slowly do the moves. If you lose your concentration or balance then set up again and find your focal point. It will get easier. Unless you have a inner ear problem or some other reason your losing your balance its simply about focusing and ensuring that your weight is shifted appropriately (for example, not leaning on the toes too far forward, or too far back on the heels. Hang in there, stick with it, it will pay off if you do!

Oh yes! I forgot about this, but I did this too. Even if it was just a speck on the floor ahead of me, focusing on one spot definitely helped! :happy:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I know many girls that started Strong lifts 5x5 for the exact same reason.

Honestly, I've been contemplating that too.

i'm starting Stage 2 Friday, and I'm nervous as well. I suck at lunges. :frown:
  • allikat819
    allikat819 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

Everyone has good advice re: the balance. I definitely had to decrease weights for anything that was one legged. It was fine! Keep on keeping on. Try a couple of the workouts before you decide that it's not for you. If it's not the right thing for you, at least you can say you tried it!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I used to hate and suck at lunges! Now I rock and they are WAY easier. You don't want to know how many lunges are in stage 3.
  • Mistymath
    Mistymath Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This doesn't necessarily go along with what everyone else has said, but I use a bench for the one-point row. I put my inner knee and outer palm on the bench and just try to keep my back straight.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Excellent advice ^^ Also, one legged lifting is meant to improve balance so don't expect it to be easy the first time. Took me a while to do split lunges without falling over, now I do them with 50lbs :) And lunges shouldn't hurt, burn yes, hurt no. If it hurts you need to focus on form and not how much weight you are using. Lunges and Squats are awesome but if done with improper form can be damaging. Hang in there!!! I wouldn't say it gets easier but you get better at the hard stuff :)
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    "I'm wondering how good of a workout I can get with half my time spent trying to get into position and regaining balance every time I move. "

This is a good thing and one of the most important reasons to do free weights instead of machines. Trying to keep your balance, trying to stay in good form and wobbling in the mean time engages muscles that you would never engage with a machine. The stronger your core gets the more balance you will have and the better your form will be and then the more weight you can lift, but it takes time. If it was easy everyone would be doing it :) Be proud of what you can do and don't get discourged. Months from now you'll be shocked at the fact that you are doing things you couldn't before!
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Your body will learn to balance, and the balance is strength. Take your weights lower and build up. I was falling over on some of those exercises my first time around, but now I can actually stand on one leg!!