IIFYM

Options

Replies

• porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    interesting thread :)

What is the downside on Whey protein? or should I start another thread for that?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What is the downside on Whey protein? or should I start another thread for that?

None as far as I am aware, assuming no intolerance (which is not that likely as it has very low lactose levels).
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options

None as far as I am aware, assuming no intolerance (which is not that likely as it has very low lactose levels).

Cool thanks Sara x
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Is it me of has this iifym thing just gone nuts lately, everyone is talking about it ( with varying degrees of understaning/common sense) even the hodge twins have a video promoting iifym/flexible dieting these days!

Pretty amusing for something that started as an off hand forum comment.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    yeah, well in the fitness circles anyway. You still have to be a cal/macro tracker to do it though obviously.

There will always be a select few that do the 80/20 thing the wrong way around :tongue:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    yeah, well in the fitness circles anyway. You still have to be a cal/macro tracker to do it though obviously.

There will always be a select few that do the 80/20 thing the wrong way around :tongue:

Not counting my ice-cream which is not junk food, I usually go for 90/10 in the week, and end up with 20/80 some days at the weekend...it kind of balances itself out to 80/20 :wink:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Example: "You're telling me you can just eat straight table sugar for your carbs, and drink olive oil for your fat, and use whey protein and you'll have a good physique?". "Hey have fun eating pizza and donuts all day". "Brb just eating cake, IIFYM".

but eating pizza and doughnuts all day or more than an occasional small slice of cake will NOT fit my macros. I can't eat that stuff like that and still fit my macros. Are there people that can eat like that and still fit their macros?

right now I have a mental block for carbs. I KNOW KNOW KNOW very good and well they are not bad or evil, my body needs them. yet I can't get past obsessing about them. I have them set at 35%. I am sure I would be just fine with 40 or 43%, but I can't make myself raise that Macro. SO, I add most of my fruits and veggies as Quick Adds for the time being. I know it is not being faithfully accurate in my logging, but I was avoiding fruits and veggies in fear of carbs.

Soon I will mature out of that and be able to eat blueberries and log them correctly.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Example: "You're telling me you can just eat straight table sugar for your carbs, and drink olive oil for your fat, and use whey protein and you'll have a good physique?". "Hey have fun eating pizza and donuts all day". "Brb just eating cake, IIFYM".

but eating pizza and doughnuts all day or more than an occasional small slice of cake will NOT fit my macros. I can't eat that stuff like that and still fit my macros. Are there people that can eat like that and still fit their macros?

right now I have a mental block for carbs. I KNOW KNOW KNOW very good and well they are not bad or evil, my body needs them. yet I can't get past obsessing about them. I have them set at 35%. I am sure I would be just fine with 40 or 43%, but I can't make myself raise that Macro. SO, I add most of my fruits and veggies as Quick Adds for the time being. I know it is not being faithfully accurate in my logging, but I was avoiding fruits and veggies in fear of carbs.

Soon I will mature out of that and be able to eat blueberries and log them correctly.

The part you quoted was an example of how IIFYM is misinterpreted and does not mean that.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

The part you quoted was an example of how IIFYM is misinterpreted and does not mean that.
    I wasn't sure if people were using poor food choices and still meeting their macros or eating whatever they want that didn't fit their macros, but saying it didd. I couldn't imagine why would they say it did fit if it didn't? So I assumed the pizza and doughnuts they ate did fit their macros, but were poor choices.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I wasn't sure if people were using poor food choices and still meeting their macros or eating whatever they want that didn't fit their macros, but saying it didd. I couldn't imagine why would they say it did fit if it didn't? So I assumed the pizza and doughnuts they ate did fit their macros, but were poor choices.

Basically, either way is wrong. Some people don't pick up on the if it fits your macros part of the um...if it fits your macros, and others miss the point that it is supposed to be applied with some common sense about food choices i.e. getting a good amount of nutrient dense foods, especially ones with fiber.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    yes, I can fit "junk" food into my macros.

And you know just because you don't log your carbs on MFP doesn't mean your body doesn't utilise them :tongue:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    OK, so I would like to think that I practice IIFYM --- pretty well (for the most part). I say 'for the most part' because one of my frustrating challenges is when I am out traveling for work- especially if it's an airport day- I usually fall short of my desired protein intake- even if I supplement it with a whey bar. I'm shooting on a daily basis for anything over 110 grams of protein, and typically fat and fiber fall into place.

My 'junk food' yesterday consisted of a handful of sugar cookies and a hot fudge sundae pop tart (yes, Sara- I DID commit to trying the pop tart--- have you bought your strudels yet???)

I never feel deprived, and there is virtually nil self applied pressure that comes from a 'diet'.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OK, so I would like to think that I practice IIFYM --- pretty well (for the most part). I say 'for the most part' because one of my frustrating challenges is when I am out traveling for work- especially if it's an airport day- I usually fall short of my desired protein intake- even if I supplement it with a whey bar. I'm shooting on a daily basis for anything over 110 grams of protein, and typically fat and fiber fall into place.

My 'junk food' yesterday consisted of a handful of sugar cookies and a hot fudge sundae pop tart (yes, Sara- I DID commit to trying the pop tart--- have you bought your strudels yet???)

I never feel deprived, and there is virtually nil self applied pressure that comes from a 'diet'.

Oh poop, I promised to try them didn't I? OK, adding to next shopping trip...will report back!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Oh poop, I promised to try them didn't I? OK, adding to next shopping trip...will report back!
    I had one for you last night, Sara - had almost doubled my protein goal, hit my fat goal and still had tons of carbs left, so macked down a toaster strudel as a late night snack. They're not bad, but they ain't no pop tart! :bigsmile:
  • chrisdavey
    Options

when I run out of pop tarts, I'm switching to Peter's light N creamy ice cream as my go to "dirty" carb source :tongue:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I had one for you last night, Sara - had almost doubled my protein goal, hit my fat goal and still had tons of carbs left, so macked down a toaster strudel as a late night snack. They're not bad, but they ain't no pop tart! :bigsmile:

That Anvilhead! Always willing to take one for the team!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

When practicing IIFYM, it is recommended that you choose mostly whole and nutrient dense foods to comprise the majority of your intake. Fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, etc, and at the same time, leaving some room for a discretionary intake. A common and very reasonable recommendation would be about 80/20. That is to say, that if you've got a calorie target of 2500, you'd eat approximately 2000 calories of whole and nutrient dense foods with a calorie bank of 500 to eat whatever you would like while still hitting your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day .

It's a flexible approach, and it works.

The fact that this isn't staringly obvious to people - especially, it seems on the main boards makes me want to weep for humanity.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

This would be a better fit in the clean eating thread. Good article nonetheless.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

This would be a better fit in the clean eating thread. Good article nonetheless.

You can remove it if you want. I thought most of the last part was pretty relevant to IIFYM/Flexible dieting.
    All-or-Nothing Dieting & Eating Disorder Risk
    In 1997, a general physician named Steven Bratman coined the term orthorexia nervosa [21], which he defines as, “an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy food.” It reminds me of the counterproductive dietary perfectionism I’ve seen among many athletes, trainers, and coaches. One of the fundamental pitfalls of dichotomizing foods as good or bad, or clean or dirty, is that it can form a destructive relationship with food. This isn’t just an empty claim; it’s been seen in research. Smith and colleagues found that flexible dieting was associated with the absence of overeating, lower bodyweight, and the absence of depression and anxiety [22]. They also found that a strict all-or-nothing approach to dieting was associated with overeating and increased bodyweight. Similarly, Stewart and colleagues found that rigid dieting was associated with symptoms of an eating disorder, mood disturbances, and anxiety [23]. Flexible dieting was not highly correlated with these qualities.
    Although these are observational study designs with self-reported data, anyone who spends enough time among fitness buffs knows that these findings are not off the mark.

He goes on to talk about applying discretionary calories.