Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ready to drop half my *kitten*. Hayulp! :)

Hey guys!

I've heard lots about the Paleo thing, and figured why not? I've read some sites - marksdailyapple.com was one that was suggested to me. I've also got a Paleo book sitting on my coffee table, but it's kind of overwhelming. I don't really know where to start, if I wanted to start this rig tomorrow. I'm just ready for a change, I need to be healthier, and I'm excited to get underway. I'm also looking for some Paleo friends that I could hit up with questions and motivate each other. :) Any advice you could give me, or you wanna befriend me (I'm a pretty sarcastic funny chick!) please shoot me a request.

Replies

• RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Welcome to the group! I joined recently too, and I'm surprise at how much yummier my meals have gotten.

Keep us posted on your progress! I went and revamped my ticker; my first was for a 40 lb drop, and now I'm on the next 45. I have to set smaller goals or I get discouraged.

Anyway, welcome again!
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Good luck to you. If you stay true to it and learn more about yourself as you change, the benefits will be great.

If you're feeling overwhelmed, you could start in segments. We did a month sans gluten and refined sugar to get some buy-in. After that, we began going through Robb Wolf's immune protocol and tested re-introducing certain foods to see if we got an immune response. It took several months, but we know who can tolerate what. This is a long-term thing, so there's no rush.

Speaking of Robb Wolf, I would also recommend his site and his podcasts, which have helped me immensely. I like that he's really got a lot of the science nailed down and centers on gut health.

One podcast that gets left out a lot is The Latest in Paleo. While I do think it's not the best of the three resources listed here, it's not without merit, and may appeal to some that the other two miss. It tends to be much more touchy-feely, hippy-dippy, but that's what some folks like. There's still some solid stuff, and he puts links to everything he covers in his shows, which is very nice.

If I can give one single piece of advice to you, avoid completely the supposed Paleo cookies and bread and whatnot that I often see plaguing Paleo/Primal boards. Results are not achieved by finding ways to skirt the guidelines. People that cling on to the weird comfort of having this "faileo" food around do not see the results that they otherwise would.

Have fun and play with it.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Welcome :) I'll send a friend request! I love funny and sarcastic <3

I started with the Whole 30 and it was hard at first and then it became easy once I got into a routine and found yummy staples that I could make when I didn't feel like cooking. (Salsa, avocados and fish taco salad is my friend ;)

I feel so much better when I stay away from all grains. I feel like I get plenty of carbs with butternut squash and sweet potatoes, and Lara bars also sometimes save me at work when I have no time to eat and I need to make it through until I can sit down and eat.

I have less PMS, my mental state is better and my digestion is more regular. I also am having fun not worrying about calories as much (though sometimes I am lowe) I love cooking with the good fats and I can't praise this lifestyle enough. I still struggle (esp after Thanksgiving)

We are all here for support :)
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    I sent you a friend request... ;)
  • grrl77
    grrl77 Posts: 108
    Yay, thanks guys! I'm super excited to give this a go :)
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Welcome to the group! I will send ya a request! I don't currently calories count so no diary but can support!