Sick with the Flu.. Training Advice

Options
i came down with the flu yesterday and am 2 weeks into my contest prep.
im afraid that me taking some time off from the gym will make me not lose my prescribed 1 lb per week.
i still have 13 weeks of contest prep dieting but im stressing out!
if anyone has some advice its greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    u may end up losing more than 1lbs becuz u r sick. feel btr. good luck.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible cold/sinus infection for 2 weeks. While not on a competition diet, I decided that my body would tell me what it needed to heal faster. I took a buttload of vitamin C and zinc supplements, drank tons of water and some Gatorade. If you have the flu and are losing a great deal of water, etc from throwing up and or-umm-the other end, then PLEASE take in electrolytes with Gatorade or something like Gu or even pedialyte. No need getting so dehydrated you need IVs at a hospital and then derailing your plans even more. Have some chicken soup, curl up in a ball and REST.
    Also-FWIW, I missed 2 weeks in the gym and my weight stayed steady even with the diet change.
    Finally-if you have the flu and you go to your gym, you are spreading the flu to countless other people. Is your competition really more important than a mom you infect who then spreads the flu to her young kids? Or to an elderly person who is there to help their heart who is then hospitalized because their flu turns to pneumonia? If you feel healthy enough to, do body weight stuff at home until you are no longer contagious-push ups, pull ups if you have a bar, etc. If you have a home gym, this is of course different, but if you are a member somewhere, PLEASE stay home!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    i came down with the flu yesterday and am 2 weeks into my contest prep.
    im afraid that me taking some time off from the gym will make me not lose my prescribed 1 lb per week.
    i still have 13 weeks of contest prep dieting but im stressing out!
    if anyone has some advice its greatly appreciated :)
    Don't train. Who said you have to lose a 1lb per week anyway? I did two shows in 2012, and I wasn't always losing a lb per week.

Regarding getting sick. I got sick a few times during prep, so get use to it.