Must watch this video!

amanda_gent
amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    And if reading is preferred, with references to those studies, this is along the same lines. Much better detail since it's written though. But should be required reading to understand what can and does happen.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/permanent-metabolic-damage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/permanent-metabolic-damage-followup-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/lean-body-mass-maintenance-and-metabolic-rate-slowdown-qa.html

And for general education on the whole thing.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/metabolic-rate-overview.html
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    I saw this the other day. Great video! :drinker:
  • Watched the video and have a question. Just about any HR zone training describes the "fat burning zone" to be in the 60-70% of HRmax. To me that is low intensity cardio. In the video the speaker made a point saying low intensity cardio would plateau fat burning and only by HIIT would one begin seeing fat burn. Am I hearing him correctly?
  • amanda_gent
    @gapwedge: I need to read the research that heybales provided but my quick take was that since our bodies easily adapt to low intensity cardio and we find it easy to do, it won't and can't provide the fat-burn that HIIT will in the same period of time. If you've reached a plateau then you can't expect to keep doing the same things and hoping your body will change. It explains why when I was walking five miles a day, every day on 1200 calories, or spinning for 45 mins to an hour every day (netting way below my BMR) my weight and body shape stayed the same! O, the futility! Now I walk and spin for the pure fun of it and if I don't feel like it, I don't. :)

Weight-training, however, is now a non-negotiable activity!
  • @ Amanda,
    I read all of the articles Heybales linked here. It is obvious that proper resistance training (weight lifting) along with proper intake of protein leads to BF reduction leading to weight loss in conjunction with the all important key - calorie deficit. And I agree if your spinning and walking reach the same duration and intensity level weight loss (BF) would slow. However, I cycle sometimes upwards of 2-3 hours. Within that ride with hill climbing and bref sprints my intensities vary. I guess what I am saying if you increased your walking pace or added hills to your 5 miles your intensity would increase.
    I am all for resistance training and reading Heybale's links convinces me that that type of workout with a TDEE deficit is a proven method of BF loss (weight loss). But cardio is also good for the heart and combined with HIIT will burn fat also. I am an advocate of both and will continue to incorporate both into my weight loss plan with weight training a higher % during the winter months and cycling a higher % during the other months.
    But I agree with what you are saying. A slow walk around the block 3 times a week will have little bearing on weight loss.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Very true on the fat-burning zone. From a specific perspective of fat loss and time available for exercise.

Gap, you and I though do enjoy and can do those long 2-3 hr rides, and get major fat burn. If all you had was 60 min, low intensity fat-burning zone totally, or 10 min walk, 40 min HIIT, 10 min walk, the latter would be better for fat burning.

But, I love how they never include the fact there are other days involved in a workout routine.

If you literally tried to do HIIT running sprints everyday because you only had 45 min say, you'd plateau very quickly, and your effort while feeling the same would not be to the same level nor effect on the body.
    HIIT can build muscle strength like lifting - sport specific, if given the same recovery rules for lifting.

I'd even say if you only had many short times like that, doing split lifting routines would be more bang for the buck. Unless you enjoyed the cardio and liked performance.

And your point about outdoor biking is great too. Years ago before Spin classes came around, the burn from exercise bikes was not great. Always this confusion about how outdoor was so much better.
    It was because of the almost automatic interval nature of it. Hard on the hill, recovery, hard into the wind for long, recovery tail wind, ect. Variety that made it better - just like Spin classes became.

And actually from that bonking topic, it's those fat-burning zone rides that indeed train that system better. Marathoners need it too. Just not great for fat loss on limited time. Very needed for endurance events and fat loss if you have the time.
  • Very true on the fat-burning zone. From a specific perspective of fat loss and time available for exercise.

Gap, you and I though do enjoy and can do those long 2-3 hr rides, and get major fat burn. If all you had was 60 min, low intensity fat-burning zone totally, or 10 min walk, 40 min HIIT, 10 min walk, the latter would be better for fat burning.

But, I love how they never include the fact there are other days involved in a workout routine.

If you literally tried to do HIIT running sprints everyday because you only had 45 min say, you'd plateau very quickly, and your effort while feeling the same would not be to the same level nor effect on the body.
    HIIT can build muscle strength like lifting - sport specific, if given the same recovery rules for lifting.

I'd even say if you only had many short times like that, doing split lifting routines would be more bang for the buck. Unless you enjoyed the cardio and liked performance.

And your point about outdoor biking is great too. Years ago before Spin classes came around, the burn from exercise bikes was not great. Always this confusion about how outdoor was so much better.
    It was because of the almost automatic interval nature of it. Hard on the hill, recovery, hard into the wind for long, recovery tail wind, ect. Variety that made it better - just like Spin classes became.

And actually from that bonking topic, it's those fat-burning zone rides that indeed train that system better. Marathoners need it too. Just not great for fat loss on limited time. Very needed for endurance events and fat loss if you have the time.

Yes, read that in books by Joe Friel and Thomas Capple regarding riding slow to improve performance. With my Garmin 500 the HR Zones can be easily monitored and on recovery rides I do a long slow ride in Zone 1 and 2.
  • amanda_gent
    Okay, all this makes me feel better about wanting to do another spin class today! (With some weights thrown in beforehand...)
    Thanks. :)
  • Okay, all this makes me feel better about wanting to do another spin class today! (With some weights thrown in beforehand...)
    Thanks. :)

A balance of both weight resistance and cardio is hard to beat. Surely your instructor does not just let you spin at the same resistance and cadence the whole time. So I would think spinning would be a good way to burn fat. Your thigh muscles are a very large muscle group and working them hard will burn fat and make them grow larger. Since I cycle a lot my thighs have gotten pretty big and toned as well as my calves. Being clipped into my pedals allows me to lift up on the up stroke (calves)with the same power as the down stroke (thighs) for greater efficiency. Great for hill climbing. Sounds like you have a great plan in place so spin away and lift. Have a good day! :)
  • amanda_gent
    bump because it's a good one to watch!
  • sharpei65
    sharpei65 Posts: 167 Member
    bump...need to take this in and watch it.....

Just about to start NROL4W ... so that's strength 3 times a week, but also starting training for half marathon run too...so thats at least 3 runs a week....1 long slow run....1 interval type run... and 1 medium paced run.... (with an extra recovery slow run if I can squeeze it in).....I'm not sure now if I'm trying 2 different things at the same time and therefore doomed to fail.....

My goals are to lose body fat, gain muscle and also do a half marathon close to times I've done before.......mmmm...head hurts....