Advice for half-day "training camp"?

Options
bathsheba_c
bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
My krav maga instructor is doing a half-day "camp" on Friday with training from 8am to 1pm! I am super-excited, but a little nervous at the idea of a solid five hours of training (minus at least one short break). Classes are usually 1.5 hour twice a week.

Does anyone have any advice to keep me going during an extended training session? We've already been told to bring a sandwich and drink.

Replies

• jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself, and drink enough. Keep yourself "up" and excited for the entire time,,When the day is over, you'll feel great for having done it!
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    We're doing a 1200-1600 session Saturday. Plenty of fluids to hand, protein rich sandwich (maybe chicken or tuna) and how about one of those fantastic looking donuts? ;-)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Is a protein-rich sandwich really a good idea in the middle of an intense training session? I get kind of queasy if I try working out on a full stomach. I could go for a jelly doughnut, though. :) Or maybe I'll just bring some chocolate milk with my 2L bottle of water.

It's also hard to figure what to do with food since the sandwich is clearly meant to be a snack (lunchtime here is usually 1 or 2 PM).
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I usually train for 3 hours at a time on Saturday's...I was hesitant the first time I set out to do that..but you get into and the time goes by quickly. I just make sure to be done eating at least 1.5 hours before I start (otherwise I feel icky) and I drink alot of water while I am at it. If your going to have a snack I would try and keep it light! It will be good to have a little extra energy to keep you going :)

Have fun!!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    We have 4-hour instructor clinics every other month and 8-hour camps once a year, which are usually run by our grandmaster. I find that I am so pumped that I don't notice how long they are, and I am never ready for them to be over!
    I usually take something like a bag of whole grain crackers, nuts, and water to the 4-hr sessions. For the longer camps, we take a 30-45 minute break for lunch and usually have sandwiches and fruit.
    Don't be nervous--have fun!
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My personal approach would be a good breakfast about 2h before, then fluids only whilst training.

I know a few people who keep little bags of things like gummy bears in their gear bags in case they want some sugar.
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Coconut water. I kid you not, it's the nectar of the gods. Got me through my 4 hour belt test like it was your average class.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Keep a bag of almonds handy. I salted and raw work best for me
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    eat well the night before, drink water you will be fine. Don't eat a lot while training you will be sick.

Enjoy it =)