OFFICIAL THREAD: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Discussion

Options
124»

Replies

• markS159
    markS159 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    From what I understand that feeling is very common for wrestlers. Good luck working the escapes!
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,
    I'm still fairly new to Jiu Jitsu.
    I'm really starting to feel comfortable rolling and keeping base.
    However, as with all newer practitioners, I am feeling a little inept on the attacking front after getting tapped time after time.
    Really I'm just asking y'all what would be a good technique (or set-up) to work on to catch a senior student by surprise.
    If you think it matters, I've been training for about 5 months and am 6'3" and 240.
    Thanks!

do you find yourself normally on top or in bottom?

I'd have to say bottom but only by a little.
  • jamiecoles
    Options
    Love BJJ! Gi is awesome! I'm also training in MMA and kickboxing. Been doing it since Jan and MFP has helped me monitor what I eat, when and suit my training
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options

hmm... this is a hard question to answer, not knowing your strengths/weaknesses or the style of your school. there isn't very much "catching by surprise" when talking about senior students in your own academy. you have learned all the same set-ups and escapes, except they can see it coming because they have simply been doing it longer. i am willing to say that a good go-to collar choke is where you should start. you can attempt a collar choke from any position, except when your back is taken. Baseball Choke is an easy one
  • rstoliker
    rstoliker Posts: 65
    Options

hmm... this is a hard question to answer, not knowing your strengths/weaknesses or the style of your school. there isn't very much "catching by surprise" when talking about senior students in your own academy. you have learned all the same set-ups and escapes, except they can see it coming because they have simply been doing it longer. i am willing to say that a good go-to collar choke is where you should start. you can attempt a collar choke from any position, except when your back is taken. Baseball Choke is an easy one

Personally, I would recommend sweeps for a dominate position. Attempting chokes on a more experienced player is just ASKING for armbars. That's not to say it isn't a sound foundation...I just know that Juji Gatame and Ude Garami variations are easy to get to. I also think you should work mostly on escapes. I can only speak from experience from my club and surrounding clubs...that NOTHING gets under a more experienced player's skin if they can't keep you down!
  • Madmadz77
    Madmadz77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Where do you guys train?
  • rstoliker
    rstoliker Posts: 65
    Options
    Where do you guys train?

I'm in Albany NY...
    www.518mma.com
  • michaelocampo
    Options
    Charleston, SC
    http://cmmagym.com/
    BJJ Instructor is Casey Collias, black belt under Fabio Costa (Gracie Barra)
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I train in Nashville, TN at Zanshin Dojo.
    Instructor is Eric Silver, Black belt under Hickson.
    Personally, I would recommend sweeps for a dominate position. Attempting chokes on a more experienced player is just ASKING for armbars. That's not to say it isn't a sound foundation...I just know that Juji Gatame and Ude Garami variations are easy to get to. I also think you should work mostly on escapes. I can only speak from experience from my club and surrounding clubs...that NOTHING gets under a more experienced player's skin if they can't keep you down!

I have heard this from a few people. Lord knows rolling I'll have plenty of chances to practice.
    Focusing on escapes and sweeps it is then.
    The majority of my success has been Armbars from some kind of mount or side control americanas/straight armlocks.
    Anyways, thanks for the Input fellas.
  • Madmadz77
    Options
    Tristar and GB in Montreal.
  • michaelocampo
    Options
    Awesome... does Firas work the normal gym schedule with all the fighters or does he focus on the higher profile fighters?
  • Madmadz77
    Options
    He is at 80% of all trainings. The remaining 20%is covered by his brother and 2 or 3 of the best guys. He is there everyday unless someone has a big fight coming up and he is working the corner.
  • michaelocampo
    Options
    thats sounds great! the gyms where the best trainers are still accessible seem so much more... cohesive. thats really awesome!
  • Madmadz77
    Options
    Ya, Tristar is a little more then cohesive. We can have some sect-ish behavior sometime. The guys train, go out, hang out together . Everyone is welcome but its a close knit group.
  • michaelocampo
    Options
    Kenny Florian swung by our gym for some sessions. Great guy! Good time!

• thecraigferguson
    thecraigferguson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP BJJ folks:

I made a short series of videos on turtle attacks w/ a 6th degree Carlson BB while was at my old gym. Just thought I would share in case they help anyone.

http://youtu.be/N7U8DQ4vhCc

This was maybe 3 or 4 years ago now. I am a purple now and train at a Renzo affiliate. That triangle seems to be the most popular video. I find the mount transition video and the one named "clock repair" are also very useful.
  • bship15_wechanged
    bship15_wechanged Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Where do you guys train?

I am going to start my training again this fall at Mick Doyle's
    http://www.mickdoyle.com/