new fun: ocular migraines

Options
2»

Replies

• kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've had ocular migraines since I was 18. I still get them occasionally and have a whopping headache that lasts the whole day. I can't take aspirin because of stomach ulcers so I just have to get through it. Staying in a cool, dark place helps.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Do any of you get the disorientation symptoms that can go with the aura? Like, not being able to put your thoughts into sentences and speaking complete gibberish? Even tho your mind is completely coherent? This only happens on the rare occasion - but very frustrating when it does.

I was a regular migraine sufferer when I was on the pill but they went away once I went off. I had no idea these auras were a symptom of menopause. The joys!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    @blueberry, I tend to feel a bit... slow...sometimes before they happen, but not quite as extreme as you describe. That doesn't sound fun at all!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I got one of these one time. I was at work and it must have shown because I had a co worker ask if I was okay at lunch. It definitely felt like a headache but I saw black and white zigzags vibrating at my peripheral vision like in the video but all black and white. I thought I was having a stroke or something. I googled it and decided that it must be a migraine (I'd never had one before) so I took the maximum dose of Tylenol and put my head on my desk for 30 minutes or so. Luckily it went away. Thankfully it has never happened again. No fun!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I also have a friend who loses the ability to speak with hers as mentioned above. That must be awful.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »
    I got one of these one time. I was at work and it must have shown because I had a co worker ask if I was okay at lunch. It definitely felt like a headache but I saw black and white zigzags vibrating at my peripheral vision like in the video but all black and white. I thought I was having a stroke or something. I googled it and decided that it must be a migraine (I'd never had one before) so I took the maximum dose of Tylenol and put my head on my desk for 30 minutes or so. Luckily it went away. Thankfully it has never happened again. No fun!

They can be super scary. When I was a kid I had the full on nausea, numbness, felt like I had a stroke type migraines. The first one in middle school. Terrifying.
    Once you know what it is, it's a bit less terrifying. If you start to get the "eye thing" again, one thing that helps me A LOT is to put 2-3 baby aspirin under my tongue and quickly chew 1-2. Getting the baby aspirin in me quickly, seems to get the vascular parts (the zigging circle stuff) under control so I can do things like drive, heh.