Lifting with Lower Back Pain

Hi all. I started the program about 3 weeks ago, so I'm partway through Stage 1. It's been fantastic--I feel stronger, have more energy, and my clothes are getting looser already! The only issue is that I've also been having awful lower back pain from a bike accident I had several months ago. I'm seeing a chiropractor for it--which is helping. But I'm wondering if anyone's had any experience doing the program with an existing back issue. If so, did you find that resting for a couple of weeks was helpful when it flared up, or did you just power through? Or did you wait until you were pain-free before starting the program? My chiro says it's fine to lift as long as I'm using good form, but I work out at home so no matter how diligent I am, I'm never 100% sure that my form is correct. Anyone have any experiences to help guide me? And any recommendations about what kind of exercise might not aggravate my back in the meantime? I can't imagine being sedentary, even just for a couple of weeks.

Thanks so much! I've been lurking since I started lifting and this group has been very helpful.

-Michelle

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I don't know. Have you had anyone check your form for corrections? Also, you may want to make sure you're not putting the bar on your back until your back is stronger and go with a front squat instead, I know that compression sometimes bothers me espcially when my form is off.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    I too would suggest having someone check your form. I have a really bad lower back and I do remember it hurting when I first started lifting but it does not hurt anymore really. I know that one thing my chiro always nagged me about was my ab/core muscles. When those are properly strengthened and used most people will have significantly less back trouble. I know that has been the case for me.

Be careful, check form and just go slowly to make sure you don't injure yourself.