Break Weeks?

Options
Linli_Anne
Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
I have heard it mentioned a couple of times that people will take break weeks but I'm a little unlcear about a couple of things:

1) When you take a "break" does that mean that you are breaking from eating at a deficit, and going back to eating at TDEE (like in reset but for a shorter length of time)

2) Does taking a "break" mean taking a break from excercise - if so, do you adjust your TDEE by the number of calories you would normally burn during your workouts?

3) At what point is a "break" recommended - monthly? during a prolonged stall?

4) Is a break something that everyone does? Is it something that everyone needs?

I am still losing, but I'm also not quite as high in my net calories as I probably should be...but I'm working on getting it up there.

Replies

• cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this, too.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am doing New Rules of Lifting and he recommends rest weeks in between stages of the program. He says that you should take an occastional week off to give your body a chance to fully recover. He says it is good for your connective tissues, bones, and nervous system.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    As I remember I saw something about taking a break from a deficit every 3-4 months but I am not sure that would work for me that well since my loss hasn't been that consistent. I sort of had a break when I took a trip for 5 days. However I plan to take a break once I reach my next goal. It should be just be a week and it only is from a deficit of calories not particularly exercise but you should be taking a break from exercise once a week for a day. I think it depends on what exercise you are doing whether you need any breaks from it. So you would eat at your TDEE for a week. A reset is for at least a month once you have reached your TDEE. I do take day long breaks from a deficit for celebrations throughout the year and I think those are good for you. I try to eat at maintenance then.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think doing both is good for you. If you're lifting regularly and progressively heavier take the week off from lifting... I'd even suggest also eating at TDEE for that week. When you think about it, you may be up an extra pound or so by the end of it, but it will come right back off once you get back to it.

Last week I traveled and wasn't able to work out as usual. I also ate over TDEE for 3 days straight. I was up about 2 lbs but then they came back off within 3 days. You can't really gain a bunch of fat in a week regardless of what you do. Truly.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    the question about if you adjust the TDEE for break week was not answered. Will check back for it later :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you have a very hard exercise schedule with few rest days or not enough easy days, then a break from exercise (besides walking) is great every 6-7 weeks.
    During that week you would eat at your TDEE for that week, probably sedentary rounded up for the walking, with a deficit still.

I've always come back much stronger. It just proves that no matter the hard and easy days and rest days you think you are doing your body good for, the diet probably made it too stressful in general and really never enough rest.

If you don't workout to that level, probably not a concern.

The diet break is good if your deficit has been too great, and the hormones need a reset.

I personally doubt very few on EM2WL have a deficit that steep to be concerned with, but it is a good comparison week.
    Workouts the same, but eat with no deficit.

It allows you to feel the difference the diet makes on performance real easy then. I'd say more educational. Helps you be convinced how bad it is eating too low for your level of activity.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Thank you so much!

I am on day 16 of 30 of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I have been doing it every day for the last 15 and plan to finish off these next 15 consecutively as well.

I thought that at that point I would take a 1 week break from that exercise before I started on Ripped In 30, and this will give me a really good place to aim for in terms of my cals.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I have also read that ripped in 30 didn't mean literally having to do it in straight 30 days the rules of giving your body a rest once a week still apply. There are some exercise like a small walk that may be ok on a rest day though. I think a 1 week break is a good idea. Best wishes with that program.