I have Never Run

Options
reerazzle
reerazzle Posts: 81 Member
OK guys, I am new here. I have always aspired to run a 5K race. How do I start, especially if I have never run. I am literally getting off the couch! Would welcome some advice!
Thanks!

Replies

• Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? Most of us have downloaded the C25K app and just follow it. There are several apps out there for this so find the one you like best and go, go, go.

We all seem to be using different apps but the results are the same, my preference is this one http://easeinto5k.bluefinapps.com/
  • reerazzle
    reerazzle Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I notice there are many such apps out there? Why this one? Can I down load on a blackberry?
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I would do a search for "C25k free" in your blackberry's "app store." You should have several options to choose from. Take a look at the ratings and comments and just try one. If you don't like it, delete it off your phone, and try another one. Rinse, lather, repeat until you find the one you like. :)

I like it that I can listen to music through the app I use (c25k from zen labs). Playing music had an added bennifit of making sure that the app didn't crash during the workout.

Early on, I also liked it when the app told me that I was half way through the workout, or only had 1 minute left of running.

Now that I've finished c25k, I just use my stopwatch/HRM, and call it good.

Edit to add: The best thing to do, is to just do it! :) I started out by just walking, and just picking up the pace. Eventually I got to the point that i thought I might be able to start running. So, I put the app on my phone. It took me 3 weeks of trying and I finally got through day 1 successfully... and I havn't missed a workout since. :)

You can do this!!
  • jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I had never run either yet I am starting week 8 of C25K tomorrow. Week 7 is 25 minutes of running and I can do that. I was very unfit when I began and had to do week 1 for three weeks because I couldn't do 'all' the running minutes... since then I have progressed according to the weekly programme. I use the nhs C25K which I download onto a small MP3 player that clips onto my hoodie. NHS programme is free. Why pay when you don't have to! I think a lot of the difference is in the music used, usually the basic program is the same. I think some work by distance, but I liked the nhs one because it is set by time, important for me as I have family responsibilities. Don't always like the music used, but the tips about running are really helpful.
    HTH
    Jane (who is now a runner)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner, too. You can do this. I just started Week 5 of the C25K program. It surprising how the program moves you along and progressing. The best way to do this is to just start. We're here to encourage you along.