Just Want to Make Sure I Understand...

Options
nikkit321
nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
A couple of days ago I saw a comment on another thread about resetting your metabolism because it gets 'broken' after being on a low calorie diet for too long. The person recommended the original poster to join the MFP Eat More 2 Weigh Less group. So I was curious and came here and started reading. I'm not sure that I have it figured out right as I found bits and pieces in various comments on some of the sticky threads, so I thought I'd post a summary of what I think the process is. Please let me know if I'm right or if I'm completely off base.

Your idea is that most women's metabolism is broken due to trying to eat a low calorie diet (basically, the mfp standard of 1200). So then when you eat slightly higher (say 1400-1800), you immediately gain weight. Even though the 1400-1800 is still below your TDEE maintenance. So the EM2WL group says to eat at TDEE for 8-12 weeks to reset your metabolism to be able to then maintain at TDEE and be able to lose at 10-20% less than TDEE. In theory you may initially gain a few pounds and will be completely stuffed at the beginning, trying to eat TDEE. But when your metabolism resets, some of the extra weight may drop off on its own, you're no longer stuffed and actually hungry again, and you're not looking forward to the 10-20% reduction (representing a mental shift).

According to http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/, my TDEE is 2308 and my BMR is currently 1489. I'm 43 and 5'6", 159 lbs as of this morning, and have been between 157 and 162 for the last 6-9 months. Quite frustrating, despite consistent exercise. So anyway, BMR I think is what you burn just to exist, TDEE is maintenance for moderately active. Apparently even a desk job would be considered moderately active if you exercise 3x/week, so that's where I ran my numbers, but I might be the next more active level. So for 8-12 weeks I have to somehow eat 2300 cal/day and expect to gain up to 10lb while doing it. But if it means that after the 8-12 weeks I'll be able to consistently lose, it'll be worth it.

I think my metabolism is broken because I've been plateau'd for months as I said, and have fluctuated my calories from 1200 to 1400 to 1600 and get nowhere, even though I'm exercising. And if I even look at bread I gain 2-3lb for days. I think my body has no idea how to handle food right now, so much as I hate the idea of the scale going up, I think my metabolism is shot and I need to do it.

Then, after the 8-12 week reset period of eating at TDEE, you "cut" - eat at 10-20% less than TDEE. So for me:
TDEE = 2300
- 10% = 2077 (.5 lb/week loss)
-15% = 1962 (.7 lb/week loss)
-20% = 1847 (almost a full 1 lb/week loss)

Can't even imaging consistently eating 1800-2000 calories/day and still lose.

You cut for 6 weeks, then do one week at full TDEE, and repeat the cycle consistently so that your body knows the pattern and will be able to maintain at full TDEE. You are supposed to recalculate your BMR and TDEE after every 5 lb loss and adjust your calories.

Oh, you're never supposed to eat below BMR, so if your exercise means you net lower than your BMR, you need to eat more until you're at BMR. You're supposed to eat as clean as possible, but not be afraid of pizza, pasta, ice cream. I have no idea how I'm supposed to come up with 2300 cal/day without some junk but am going to give it a try!

Oh, macros:
40% carbs
30% protein (I discovered yesterday that a protein shake made w/ milk tastes much better than water, and it got me some calories!)
30% fat
30g fiber
2500mg sodium

I started yesterday (and yes, I managed 2300 calories today and it wasn't hard at all!) but I wanted to make sure I'm understanding both the process and the science behind it. I'd love some new friends, and also food plan ideas! Thanks.

Replies

• nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the book I posted - I had no idea how long it was.

Also wanted to say that my diary is open and I have my food planned for today. Lunch is an office party so it's not typical of what I plan to eat. Thanks!
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just started too, and thats the way I am reading it as well.

But on top of that to not only be able to eat more but to no longer be a slave to cardio and the scale. I LOVE lifting (via home dvds) so this way of eating if definitely intriguing!