Hypoglycemia

Options
ragslittle
ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
Anybody ever heard of this - I have been experiencing night sweats, extreme hunger, heart palpitations and tremors like in the past few days and I was never diabetic - not even borderline before surgery so I am a nurse and I am researching my symptoms and came across this and wondered if anyone has ever experienced it. I have increased my carb intake in order to get calories in cause I don't want to really lose anymore weight - probably need to go back to proteins and complex carbs.

Hyperinsulinemic Hypoglycemia

While symptoms of dumping syndrome can occur shortly after surgery, post-bypass hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia begins a year or two after the procedure. Symptoms caused by an increase in insulin secretion may include tremors, palpitations, sweating, hunger or anxiety, as well as more severe symptoms of fatigue, confusion, seizures and loss of consciousness, according to Dr. Goldfine. Attacks generally occur within one to three hours after meals and increase in frequency and severity as time goes on.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/468882-delayed-hypoglycemia-gastric-bypass/#ixzz2F2jKovuo

Replies

• miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey darlin' - I was diagnosed with this about 2 months ago. I was experiencing terrible heart palpitations, bad sweats, dizziness, nauseous, headaches, weakness, serious hunger pains.....

I've had to increase my carbs to (net) 125g a day, more if possible. I had to increase my calories to 1300-1400 and increase sugars, as well.

It really sucks..... but with proper management of it and being even more religious and anal about what I eat now, I have it under control.
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Wow... I didnt know about headaches too... I have had one every morning for over a week...and I never had headaches before....lots to learn about this...course I should probably not self diagnose until I see my doc, but I can watch my diet more closely and see if the symptoms subside....thanks miss erynn!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I had read about this as I was making my mind up of bypass vs sleeve. This is one of the three reasons I am opting with the sleeve, the other two are dumping and malabsorption issues - you don't have to worry about these with the sleeve, they don't happen.
  • Barbara2420
    Barbara2420 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started to experience symptoms several weeks ago ad I am 9 months out. They seemed to initially occur a few hours after I ate higher carbs than usual--like wonder slim hotcakes. I have been hoping to control with dietary adherence, but I seem to be getting them with more frequency. During a couple of episodes, I checked my BS, which was 70ish and shouldn't have produced symptoms. You are right, probably shouldn't self diagnosis......oh, nurses!!! Time to call doc, I suppose.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am now 8 months out and have been experiencing reactive hypoglycemia due to late dumping. I am diabetic and my endo was concerned that I might develop this, so I started wearing a continuous glucose monitor shortly after surgery. The first time it happened to me occurred when my monitor was off and recalibrating itself. I had just eaten about an hour before (something with more carb in it than I should be eating) and I figured I was safe. I was at work ( I am an RN) and was running around when all of sudden I started shaking, got sweaty, and felt like I was going to pass out. Came on really quickly too. Checked my blood sugar and it was 48 :(. I didnt have one single symptom until I was "omg I am going to faint". Talked to my bariatric office and they gave me some info on late dumping hypoglycemia. They told me to watch my carbs and stick with more whole grains. This has helped a lot. I find when this starts happening to me again that I have eaten too many simple carbs. Guess its just one more way to keep me a little more in check!
  • Maylene1217
    Maylene1217 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i get these attacks. get super hot, sweat, heart palpitations, crazy feeling really. it passes in about 15 minutes. told doc i was hypoglycemic but he said its dumping syndrome and to avoid those foods that made me dump. rice is a huge trigger for me and things super sweet...