what?! no post-workout stretching???

am I missing a page? am I tripping? how come I don't see anything in the NROLFW about stretching afterward? I can't imagine not stretching after lifting. what are you ladies doing???

thx
bunny

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    I don't, I guess I didn't really know you were "supposed" to. I've never lifted weights before.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    I don't really either. Sometimes I sit in the massage chairs at the gym and set it to "stretch". Most of the time I figure carrying the three kids out and getting them into their car seats is a good stretch/cool down :)
  • rcb1963
    rcb1963 Posts: 69 Member
    Sometimes I do a cool down from the fitness blender site. I stretched more early in. I recently added it back in because I was feeling a lot of soreness
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    I usually stretch and do some foam rolling when I'm done with my workout. I'm a marathon runner so stretching is pretty ingrained in my brain as an end to any workout. Also I'm still working through some hip/low back/IT band issues from this fall so time on the round torture device...um, I mean foam roller....is essential to keeping me feeling good.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    I HAVE to stretch afterward, even if it's just 5 minutes. On the few days when I was in a rush and didn't stretch, my muscles were SO tight the next day that it was painful.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    I HAVE to stretch afterward, even if it's just 5 minutes. On the few days when I was in a rush and didn't stretch, my muscles were SO tight the next day that it was painful.

Me too! Stretching really helps cut down on the DOMS for me. I focus on my hamstrings and hip flexors and then whatever upper body was worked hard that day. I'm in stage 1 so it's lats or shoulders. I also have a foam roller at home for some rolling if I need it. I guess stretching is a preference, but I'm ALL FOR IT! My muscles are loose and limber right after lifting and it feels sooooo good.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Or def do post lifting streteches. It's been shown to reduce soreness and increase flexibility to prevent injury. I certainly feel like crap if i dont stretch. And leaving your workzout on a calm note makes me feel better about the whole day. Lifting builds up stress.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Sometimes I do a cool down from the fitness blender site. I stretched more early in. I recently added it back in because I was feeling a lot of soreness
    I LOVE my foam roller. I made one myself so as to not spend 50 bucks. Love it!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    I always stretch after.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    post lifting stretching has no effect on preventing DOMS or soreness, so it's nothing that you really have to do unless you're specifically working on your flexibility. i sometimes foam roll and if i do stretch it's in areas where i tend to need work on my flexibility so i can lift better, like hips and shoulders.
  • jrreed1
    jrreed1 Posts: 57 Member
    I do my own stretching and I'll use the myofacial roller (foam roller) as well after a lifting session.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    I always stretch otherwise my hips get tight. I bought Alwyns wifes book and she has a great section on foam rolling in her book. I think it is called Femal Body Breakthrough.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    I do light stretching between sets while "resting". I also stretch on nonlifting days before/after runs.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    I always stretch after I work out -- weights or running. It's just what makes me feel best. I do a few minutes of yoga in the mornings in between my workouts to help with DOMS, too.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,106 Member
    I always stretch after my work-out....and, I got into "rolling" about 10 months ago - at least for my IT band, I also always roll it after weight-training.