Myths and Facts About Hydration Requirements

Options
2»

Replies

• towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Ty!!!! I spend way too much time peeing, lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I've always thought the 8 glasses wasn't accurate. I always thought though, that it was half your body weight in water. But lately I've been aiming for clear toilet bowls, and have gotten them. :)

Rule of thumb. Aim for 5 clear pees (or pretty clear anyway) a day!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    “Generally if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or light yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake or have health issues, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian. He or she can help you determine the amount of water that's right for you.”

I am not even gonna try to figure out how to estimate how much urine I produce daily. There's enough measuring and weighing of things going on in my life as it is.

japanese_toilet_21.jpg
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Thank goodness I didn't know about this in my days of separating the pepper strands from the onion strands and weighing them individually from my Chipotle bowls. I hope my husband would have had the good sense to draw the line and tell me to call my counselor immediately if I tried to measure my pee-pee. (heh heh)

I've had about 7 cups of Mio and Crystal Light today. I take enough vitamins throughout the day that my pee will never be clear, so I just drink to my thirst and call it a day.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Ty!!!! I spend way too much time peeing, lol.

Me too. Getting up way too many times in the night. I'm going to stop logging and counting water now.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    There was an episode of QI with Stephen Fry where they concluded that brine was pretty much the only thing that wouldn't count towards hydration.

And +1million on 'water in food counts'. And tea. definitely tea. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There was an episode of QI with Stephen Fry where they concluded that brine was pretty much the only thing that wouldn't count towards hydration.

And +1million on 'water in food counts'. And tea. definitely tea. :)

I love QI. You can watch it on YouTube (which is great as you do not get it over here).
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've always thought the 8 glasses wasn't accurate. I always thought though, that it was half your body weight in water. But lately I've been aiming for clear toilet bowls, and have gotten them. :)

LOL. That's what I aim for as well. (I'm frequently thirsty and love ice water so I tend to naturally drink 60-80 oz of water a day plus a ridiculous amount of coffee.) Total TMI but since we're already there, whenever I see other people's urine samples at drs' offices I'm always a bit shocked at how dark they all are. ;) (But hey, maybe that's why they're at the dr's. ;))