What do you eat when sick?

Options
gmansmom2
gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
Hi all,

I started feeling bad yesterday and got really sick last night. Headache, fever, nauseated, etc. All I want is chicken soup..... but I don't want to take myself out of ketosis. Nothing sounds good but buttered rice, mashed potatoes, soup, etc.

What do you eat when you are sick or what suggestions do you have that are not too bad for keto.

Thanks!

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I tend to like scrambled eggs when I'm sick. But if you really want soup, here are some good options: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/soup_recipes.html

I've only made the Pumpkin Sausage Soup, but it's fabulous.
    http://genaw.com/lowcarb/pumpkin_sausage_soup.html

If you aren't up for making something, Egg Drop Soup is only 4 carbs (and you can get it delivered!).

There are some canned soups that aren't too bad for carbs. You have to check the cans and decide for yourself what you can tolerate.

Here's a good tips I found elsewhere on the web:

1. Heat a teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon base in a cup of water in the microwave, then add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream. This is divine with the clam base, mushroom base, or chicken base. Some of the other flavors aren't quite as good, but they are pretty useful in cooking even if you don't like one straight.

2. Heat a teaspoon or two of Better than Bouillon chicken base, or a chicken bouillon, in water in a saucepan. When hot, stir in an egg which you have beaten lightly in a cup. Keep stirring to make eggdrop soup. Add some lemon juice to make this egg/lemon soup.

Obviously once you get the simple process of using a prepared base like Better that Bouillon, you can drop in a lot of things to make your really fast soup, including leftover meats or vegetables.

Cubed cheese melting in the bottom of the soup makes even the plain bouillon special and nutritious."
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but I think some miracle noodles could be a good keto substitute in a chicken soup. I just got some recently and once I make a roasted chicken the rest will be going into a soup with the noodles to see how it comes out. Right now when feeling sick I get some powerade zero to make sure my electrolytes are right. Honestly though other then the keto flu I haven't even gotten a sniffle on keto but then I am pretty religious about taking 1000mg of vitamin c daily.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    There'snnothing wrong with chicken soup without the noodles. It's the chicken that's magic, not the noodles :)

I just sautee onion and celery until translucent, toss in my chicken (I usually use a precooked rotisserie one from the store), salt, pepper, some Italian seasoning and a bay leaf, cover with broth and it's ready to eat in 15-20min. It always does the trick, and I don't miss the noodles at all.