Body Composition problems

Options
So, here is some background info: I have been gradually upping my calories from 1200 to 1700. I have been at 1700 for a few weeks and so far I'm pretty happy. I haven't gained any weight, and haven't lost any either. I am currently 156 pounds and 28% bodyfat, with a GW of 148-150 pounds. I am set up to lose .3 pounds a week, so I know it's going to be a very slow process. I just want to be a bit smaller and lose some fat. For exercise, I mix it up. Usually a couple days of P90X and a couple days of Jillian Michaels per week. I don't have access to a gym to so heavy lifting is unfortunately out of the question.

Here's the problem: Since upping my calories, I can tell that I have gained more muscle and am definitely getting more solid. BUT none of my fat has gone away. So in essence I am actually bigger (I have gained 3/4 inch on each thigh which is really bad considering that is my problem area). I have a naturally muscular body so I am concerned that maybe this isn't the best way to go as far as fitness plans go. I have no issues with gaining muscle or even getting "bulky" as long as this layer of fat disappears.

Does it take awhile for the fat to start to go away? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain muscle in a deficit, That is the fat going away reveling muscle you had. :) The "bigger" is probably bloat.

Though I suggest asking Heybales, I'm sure his knowledge is more reliable than my own :flowerforyou:
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain muscle in a deficit, That is the fat going away reveling muscle you had. :) The "bigger" is probably bloat.

Though I suggest asking Heybales, I'm sure his knowledge is more reliable than my own :flowerforyou:

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Agree, you didn't gain anything but LBM, about impossible to gain muscle for you.
    But don't worry, LBM increases metabolism too. In fact, dealing with water management in the cells is the main energy use of BMR.

Shoot, you weren't even feeding your body what it needed for basic metabolism functions before, so much it slowed down it sounds like, it didn't have excess energy to spend building muscle. Let alone probably taking care of a bunch of other functions that may finally be getting addressed.

You are likely finally able to workout at a level you hadn't reached, or your daily activity is better whether you noticed or not, and body can actually repair now, so as mentioned, water retained.

But it could be you indeed don't have a deficit yet. You have slowly been eating more and not gaining, so your TDEE must be coming up to whatever you are eating at. Or else you would have gained.

So your metabolism hasn't sped up higher than your eating level so there is a deficit.

Sounds like it's still stressed for whatever reason and suppressed, and you need to eat even more.
  • laurynwithawhy
    Options
    Agree, you didn't gain anything but LBM, about impossible to gain muscle for you.
    But don't worry, LBM increases metabolism too. In fact, dealing with water management in the cells is the main energy use of BMR.

Shoot, you weren't even feeding your body what it needed for basic metabolism functions before, so much it slowed down it sounds like, it didn't have excess energy to spend building muscle. Let alone probably taking care of a bunch of other functions that may finally be getting addressed.

You are likely finally able to workout at a level you hadn't reached, or your daily activity is better whether you noticed or not, and body can actually repair now, so as mentioned, water retained.

But it could be you indeed don't have a deficit yet. You have slowly been eating more and not gaining, so your TDEE must be coming up to whatever you are eating at. Or else you would have gained.

So your metabolism hasn't sped up higher than your eating level so there is a deficit.

Sounds like it's still stressed for whatever reason and suppressed, and you need to eat even more.

Thank you so much for this explanation. Unfortunately I beat up my metabolism with years of yo-yo super low calorie dieting so I'm sure it's still recovering. And you are correct, I have noticed that I have more energy and am actually able to get through a workout easier and be more productive.

I have also been hungrier since I upped my calories. As terrifying as it is, I might have to bite the bullet and listen to my body and start eating more. Worst case scenario is I gain a bit of weight and I know to go down from there.
  • heybales
    Options
    I have also been hungrier since I upped my calories. As terrifying as it is, I might have to bite the bullet and listen to my body and start eating more. Worst case scenario is I gain a bit of weight and I know to go down from there.

That is exactly what you are looking for doing your normal workout, the point you gain ever so slightly one week to the next.

The problem is at that point your body is probably making improvements that are weight gain with water, while you are dropping fat, and while you might see no weight loss or gain or slight gain, you actually are at a deficit still.

So when you get to slight gain, your TDEE is probably right there if not actually higher by about 100.
  • laurynwithawhy
    Options
    Thanks, there's definitely a learning curve but I think I'm starting to get it. :)
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    So when you get to slight gain, your TDEE is probably right there if not actually higher by about 100.

This sentence just confused me. . .?
  • heybales
    Options

This sentence just confused me. . .?

You can gain water weight without eating over your TDEE, due to several body improvements. Storing more glucose, blood volume increased, muscles swelled.

In general, over a length of time, indeed you'd be hard pressed to gain if truly eating at TDEE.

But if still doing great workouts while at maintenance level, you can gain that water weight for very desirable and legitimate reasons.