Combat - preview of the workouts

Options
telcochik
telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
Good morning team! I've decided that I couldn't wait until Jan 7 to open my Combat package :bigsmile: so I am going to preview the workouts while waiting for the challenge to start. If you're interested in hearing my thoughts during this preview period then this is the thread to keep your eye on each day. If you're like me and want to give them a try over the next couple of weeks then please post your thoughts in this thread as well.

Today's workout - Combat 30: Kick Start

First of all this one is GREAT!!! HIgh intensity but the modifier keeps you on track in case you're not ready to go "balls out" the first few times you try this one. LOTS of kicking and punching and I loved the music. Dan and Rach are, as always, very high energy, and they keep up a constant stream of commentary during the tracks but it's not annoying. Once you get into the movements (some of it I had trouble following this first time around) I can see this one being a real calorie scorcher.

Replies

• lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,449 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I'm getting excited to try it out, but I have to wait until after Christmas. :laugh:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've done Kick Start a few times already. I agree this one was great. I found it much easier to follow than I ever did TurboFire workout and the trainers are really fun to keep you motivated. I didn't modify at all (I may need to after MRI results appointment tomorrow), but the calorie burn was great too. I burned about 250 calorie in only 30 minutes.
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I did the kickstart today too... I think (after a very long time of insanity and turbo kick) that its a bit low key for me... so I did insanity pylometric circuit after the 30 minutes, but I am hopeful that the 60 minute one is more up my alley! I have taken a few body combat classes too at the gym, and they are 60 minutes as well. I guess I like a long hot sweaty exercise routine! But I think once I know all the moves better and more routinely, I could give a bit more intensity to it as well. Overall, not bad!
  • telcochik
    Options
    Today's workout - Power HIIT 1

OMG I didn't realize there was strength training included that requires some type of weights (dumb bells or barbell). This one was a bit more like Insanity with the Plyo section crossed with Pump. LOVED IT!!! My knee is still not 100% so I didn't go full on in the plyo section but I can see that this one will be a welcome change during the week. I'm looking forward to doing this one again.
  • mlb929
    Options
    LOL - I did HIIT 1 Power after I did P90X2: Shoulders and Arms last week. It was a killer. I switched it up today and did Shoulders and Arms, after I did Combat 60 this AM. It worked much better. I used 15# weights last week, after P90X2, so I may try to do 20's this.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    thanks for the play by plays!
  • telcochik
    Options
    Today's workout - Combat 45 Power Kata

I am in L-O-V-E with this one!!! So much fun, really great music, and it was a good length for starting to really get into the workout. In fact, tomorrow is the 1st of 2 rest days on the schedule this week but I'm going to repeat Combat 45 instead. My body is used to only 1 day off so I'm not feeling fatigued enough to require the 2nd one.

Lots of punching and kicking as you would expect BUT this one feels a bit more choreographed at times which I appreciate because I'm all about repetition and routine. I highly recommend this one!!!
  • mlb929
    Options
    Power Kata has been my favorite so far! It just felt right. Right tempo, right workouts, right moves. I think the thing I'm loving about combat is it feels so natural. Like Tai Cheng, it feels like how my body wants me to move and everything makes sense in my head. It never did with Kenpo on P90X but I guess I learned about body flow in Tai Cheng.
  • telcochik
    Options
    I loved it so much that I did Power Kata again today instead of taking the scheduled rest day. I LOVE the ginga section so much that I just want to ginga all darn day!!! For anyone that's done Turbo Jam or Turbo Fire with Chalene, ginga is from brazillian martial arts and you'll recognize the move from her capoiera sections. Dan and Rach kick it up though by adding kicks and jumps to really boost the intensity.
  • mlb929
    Options
    I learned to Ginga and Catoiera doing Rev Abs. I like the Combat version too. Have you done Core Attack yet?
  • telcochik
    Options
    No haven't tried Core Attack yet. I don't recall seeing that in the base kit. Is it one of the advanced dvds?
  • mlb929
    Options
    I have the advanced kit, so probably. It's worth the upgrade. The core one is pretty good, I like core videos that work both back and front - Asylum Back to Core is still one of my favorites for the lower back work as well.
  • telcochik
    Options
    Yep I looked it up and it's part of the Ultimate Warrior package. I'm planning to buy it in January.
  • cjsanford63
    cjsanford63 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Opinions please: I did HIIT Plyo again last night and I HATE it. Spend the whole 1/2 hour thinking this is horrible, I don't want to do it. It is the only workout that I don't like and have to talk myself into. So, what if I replace that one with Plyo from Insanity or P90X. I know they are longer, but I don't spend the entire workout HATING what I'm doing... I'm thinking at some point if I stay with the one from Combat I'm just going to make that a rest day and skip it all together.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
  • lvnascar
    Options
    What is the Combat 60 Day rotation like?
  • mlb929
    Options
    Opinions please: I did HIIT Plyo again last night and I HATE it. Spend the whole 1/2 hour thinking this is horrible, I don't want to do it. It is the only workout that I don't like and have to talk myself into. So, what if I replace that one with Plyo from Insanity or P90X. I know they are longer, but I don't spend the entire workout HATING what I'm doing... I'm thinking at some point if I stay with the one from Combat I'm just going to make that a rest day and skip it all together.

I guess I would have to ask what you hare about it. It was really fun to me, I did it then ran a 5k with my kids the same day. I have only done it once but enjoyed it. I would not add In an extra day of rest if it were me but I would do something like kata or do power HIIT instead.
  • mlb929
    Options

I'm doing the ultimate warrior hybrid schedule. You can find the schedules in the beachbody auto schedule.
  • telcochik
    Options

Did you receive your kit yet because the schedules are included in the program guidebook.
  • telcochik
    Options

I would substitute for another plyo workout before giving up the day to rest (unless your body feels like it needs the extra day). Did you try the 2nd HIIT - Shock Plyo yet? If you like that one better then just do that one instead of the other.
  • lvnascar
    Options

Did you receive your kit yet because the schedules are included in the program guidebook.

I'm not able to open it until Christmas Eve, just wanted to get a feel for what the rotation was like. :laugh: