Would it hurt to do 30 day shred while doing NROL4W?

Options
braves1girl
braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
I have joined a 30 Day Shred group that will start Jan1. Is that going to be too much to do while in Stage 2 of NROL4W? I'm looking for things to do besides the treadmill and stationary bike. I have lots of Jillians' dvd's as well as Bob Harper, Biggest Loser, and Tae Bo. Would any/all of these interfere with the program? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I a just new to this program but I believe, according to the book, they don't want you do any other form of weight lifting with the program... In fact, my impression is that you don't have to do any other workouts with the program and you would still have results... Personally, I am still running though on none lifting days.
  • braves1girl
    braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yeah...that's what I read too. I was just hoping...I miss doing those dvd's! Silly, I know...anyway, I guess it's the treadmill, bike or tae bo for my non-lifting days. I tried not doing anything on the off days during Stage 1 and I feel stronger, but not much else. My diet was screwed up too. Still haven't figured my TDEE out, BUT...I am getting a fitbit for Christmas!!! So that should clarify a lot for me in terms of TDEE! Thanks!
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I just started NR a few weeks ago, but I still do cardio on some off days and sometimes yoga. It's hard for me to *not* do something at least one other day, just to relieve stress and get off my butt haha :tongue: so I understand why you wanna use your dvds
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    30DS is very small weights with mostly bodyweight exercises. I've always thought of it as more cardio focused. I don't think it would hurt you to do the workouts a couple of days a week on your rest days. Or if any of your videos are more cardio-based that would work. I do P90X kickboxing on some off days and love it!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    If you really enjoy them, try it and see how you feel. Just remember that you may not see the same strength gains without those "rest" days. If your goals are to lose weight and preserve muscle mass (as your ticker indicates), it probably can't "hurt". However, if you're looking to build muscle and see major strength gains (as the book is geared), you probably will find that you have a hard time meeting those goals.
    If you are looking to do exercises on your non-lifting days that don't have you stuck on a treadmill or bike, then maybe take some of the exercises that JM uses for the cardio (butt kicks, running man, jump rope, skaters, etc) and do them for your HIIT in Stage 2. I've done that when I get bored with running intervals.
    Good luck!!!
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend it. I just finished NROL4W. I really pushed myself every workout and was always sore the next day. Your body really needs a rest day after a total body weightlifing workout. As you get deeper into the phases the workouts are about 75 minutes. On occasion I would add a spin class in during the week if my legs were not sore.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I finished NROL4W about a month ago and while doing it I did 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 and 6 Week 6 Pack. I did JM DVD's 6 x a week and NROL4W 3x a week. Did it hinder my progress? I don't think so. Was it a ton of exercise and did I get burned out from working out that much, ABSOLUTELY. I now do Cathe's STS prgram 3 times a week and light cardio the other 3.